Why become a member? ×

Modulus Flea 5 pickup?

graham1945

I have a 1998 Modulus Flea and would like to know how I can tell if it is fitted with the Lane Poor pickup. See attached photo. It doesn't have the LP logo but a Modulus logo. I understand that the older Modulus basses were fitted either with Bartolini, EMG or LP, and to my eyes this doesn't look like Bartolini or EMG.
When I come to sell this, I want to describe it accurately.
Any help, gratefully received.
Graham[attachment=121283:DSCN0462 - Copy.JPG]

I think the LP pickups were the only ones to have the circular bevel on the front of the pick up? I remember looking in to this when I got my flea 4 string and it had the LP pups in. Very early versions still came with the LP logo but this did eventually get changed to the modulus. I think I am remembering correctly but if not I am sure I'll get corrected soon :)

[quote name='Barefootbassplayer' timestamp='1350544894' post='1840197']
Looking at yours I am reasonably sure it is an LP pup
[/quote]
[quote name='Barefootbassplayer' timestamp='1350544847' post='1840194']
I think the LP pickups were the only ones to have the circular bevel on the front of the pick up? I remember looking in to this when I got my flea 4 string and it had the LP pups in. Very early versions still came with the LP logo but this did eventually get changed to the modulus. I think I am remembering correctly but if not I am sure I'll get corrected soon :)
[/quote]

+1 My thoughts exactly

I've read somewhere that the LP with the LP logo is a stock pickup that is used in the Flea bass, and Modulus got LP to make a pickup specially for the Flea bass, which is the one with the modulus logo. I've seen some LP pickups that were made for the flea (with the modulus logo, in the same holographic kinda style) that are actually a bit thicker in size than a stock LP.

I would say with some confidence that yours is a Lane Poor

just to echo what everyone else has said, it def. looks/sounds like a Lane Poor - the hologram sticker is the giveaway. EMGs look different, and the Bartolinis tend to the company name embossed on them...

I've got Lane Poors in my 6 string fretless and my 4 string fretted and they sound amazing. Bartolinis in the 6 string fretted...

Steve