Why become a member? ×

is this really a Bongo?

alyctes

A recent brush with eBay detailed elsewhere made me extremely cautious as a buyer. I got ripped off by a seller who I later found was one of eBay's 'top reviewers' and had previous 'bad form' yet was functioning with 100% positive feedback.
eBay has never cared as long as the money keeps rolling in, they only listen to those who threaten them with legal prosecution.

I hope the person who got this counterfeit is from this site and gets the last laugh.

• 2 weeks later...

Guess what....looks like he's got another one for sale - [url="http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/NEW-5-STRING-ELECTRIC-BASS-GUITAR-UNUSED-UNUSUAL-LOVELY-METALLIC-RED-FINISH-/150942523581?pt=UK_Musical_Instruments_Guitars_CV&hash=item2324e020bd"]http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/NEW-5-STRING-ELECTRIC-BASS-GUITAR-UNUSED-UNUSUAL-LOVELY-METALLIC-RED-FINISH-/150942523581?pt=UK_Musical_Instruments_Guitars_CV&hash=item2324e020bd[/url]

No story about it being an unwanted birthday present this time......Grrrr :angry:

I reckon it's the same one - not paid for by previous buyer.

Been keeping an eye on his feedback and it didn't increase. If anyone had bought something like this, I think the feedback would have been left one way or another.

Note, he's photoshopped (badly) the logo off.

CB

Mmm.Dont wanna appear ignorant but its not listed as a Bongo,they even state its not a made by MM so whats the deal? There are loads of copies of famous brands on Ebay but no one seems to complain about the hundreds of Jazz copies sold every week! Maybe I am missing the point or are Fender copies exempt? On the flip side,everyone moans about Mr Hall and his protection of the R brand! I have a Alembic Series one copy.I cant afford a real one and know its a copy so were is the problem?

The original ad attempted to mislead, the revised ones are economical with the truth. He's making out he did not know it's origins yet it is100% clear that it is a far east copy ordered through tradetang or similar. Got no problems about copies as long as people are open about it and state "copy". If you look at the Gumtree Jazz Bass thread that guy is still maintaining it is an original Fender Bass and that's what gets a lot of us annoyed as some poor sap may buy it as genuine.

[quote name='mikhay77' timestamp='1352749714' post='1867017']
Mmm.Dont wanna appear ignorant but its not listed as a Bongo,they even state its not a made by MM so whats the deal? There are loads of copies of famous brands on Ebay but no one seems to complain about the hundreds of Jazz copies sold every week! Maybe I am missing the point or are Fender copies exempt? On the flip side,everyone moans about Mr Hall and his protection of the R brand! I have a Alembic Series one copy.I cant afford a real one and know its a copy so were is the problem?
[/quote]

I think it's because you didn't see the original ad on eBay.
This instrument isn't a copy - it's a counterfeit. To explain - the original advert showed the MusicMan Bongo logo on the headstock.
Only once we got in contact with eBay did the seller add his comments about it perhaps not being a MusicMan instrument.
In light of all this, we believe the verbose answers and explanations the seller provided to be dishonest.
And we're generally disappointed that eBay, with this knowledge, allows the sale to go ahead.

CB

Edited by cloudburst