Why become a member? ×

is this really a Bongo?

alyctes

[quote name='cloudburst' timestamp='1350275837' post='1836635']
Okay - you forced me into it - it's a Wrongo :-)

On a more serious note. These aren't copies. Copies display the legitimate manufacturer on the headstock. These are illegal fakes. Given Chinese efficiency and the fact that they aren't going to tool up just to turn out a small number, you have to wonder just how many of these are in circulation. And how many budding players are being hindered or put off. We're all quick (and right) to get uptight about MD Phillips' misadventures. This is just as bad in my book.

[b]Doubly bad, in fact, as the potential is there for MDP to start importing these and then doing a "professional" setup on them[/b].

CB
[/quote]

:o

Wow, it's up to £435... Someone's going to get ripped off :(

I think he's a scammer, I've just looked at the questions and a couple stuck out as suspicious

Q: would you consider a buy it now on this? 15-Oct-12 A:
I would happily consider any offers, but have no idea what the guitar is worth because I haven't seen another one online.

So he didn't think to look at the headstock and type "Music Man" or "Bongo" and "Bass" into Google?

Q: hi can i ask why you are selling this unused. also do you have a buy it now in mind? thanks 15-Oct-12 A: I am selling this unused because I don't play bass. It was bought as a birthday present because I expressed a wish to play bass and was a Metallica fan who raved about their use of 5 string. I don't have an amp and my cheapo tuner only does 4 strings.

A tuner that only does 4 strings... Right <_< And of course it's impossible to tune any other way...

And a bass, and tuner, but no amp or anything else to plug it into? Again i find that hard to believe.

I'm going to report this one to eBay as well as I'd hate for someone to get screwed.

Chrismuzz - I've reported it to eBay twice now. And they seem to have done absolutely nothing about it. Please do report it as well.

It's possible that eBay's systems work on the principle that they don't listen to one person, but is a number of people point to a counterfeit, then it triggers an alert to take action.

If any of the rest of you are reading this - it would help to add to the eBay reports.

CB

PS: Jaybass70 - what was the message with the advert? Not sure what you were getting at?

Edited by cloudburst

[quote name='cloudburst' timestamp='1350974615' post='1845628']
Chrismuzz - I've reported it to eBay twice now. And they seem to have done absolutely nothing about it. Please do report it as well.

[/quote]

I have reported the counterfeit several times to eBay and to MusicMan as well. Nothing from eBay... :unsure:

I've reported it as well on Sunday, I doubt Ebay give a damn, as techincally it's not listed as a Bongo, but the photos would mislead a bidder who doesn't know any better that it is one. There's so many things wrong with it.

As the saying goes 'If something seems too good to be true then it probably is'.

The scumbag selling it and Ebay are the winners, I pity the poor person who ends up buying it.

[color=#333333][font=Arial, sans-serif, Verdana][size=3]On 23-Oct-12 at 12:12:57 BST, seller added the following information:[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#333333][font=Arial, sans-serif, Verdana][size=3]
[font="Arial"][size="2"]Since listing this item I have recieved lots of comms about it's manufacture. I would like to point out that this appears not to be made by Music Man and I cannot find a relevant serial number on the back of the guitar. However, it does look a terrific piece of kit and will probably need a guitar tech or luthier to set it up properly.[/size][/font][/size][/font][/color]

Perhaps the best way to handle this is to snipe the bass at the last minute and then take a week or so to decide not to pay, based on the fact that it's not legal?

Would that work?

CB

PS: Sorry to get a bit hyper about this but I do love Bongos and don't want someone to be landed with this pile of scrap. Unless they are a pro guitar bodger of course.

Edited by cloudburst