Why become a member? ×

Artec - Anyone use one of their pres?

Badass

Bought the 3 band version two days ago, it arrived today, and is now in my bass. First impressions are quite good. Sound OK and 'it does what is says on he tin'...I had to replace my EMG active circuit as it had developed a fault. The replacement from EMG was going to cost £169, so this Artec 3 band at £36 was a steal.

Only problem I have is with the black knobs for the controls. I have two EMG black plastic and two black metal concentric knobs....Does anyone know where I can get two more of the ARTEC black metal knobs so they all match on my bass?

Bit late to the party, but I think Artec mainly make stuff for OEM. I know they do pickups for some Ibanez guitars and basses.
I went the other way, started with an Artec 2-band and eventually upgraded to an EMG 2-band expecting a noticable difference in sound quality or reduction in noise. There wasn't one really, so I'd recommend the Artec to anyone. Not sure about their pickups though.

I have used the SE-2, the SE-2A and the SE-3 in the past. Had no problems with the SE-2 and SE-3 but had two SE-2As fail on me (the concentric pot both times - horrible pops and thumps when you wiggle/turn the pot). Sound wise they do a good job - especially for the price of them. Pretty easy install, it's all soldering to circuit boards, no need to muck about with pots as they come ready with leads and use connectors to attach to the main board.

[quote name='muttley' timestamp='1350377168' post='1837885']
I'm thinking of getting one for my Ibanez SR400FL (I'd like and East BTB01 but I don't think I can fit it in). Would a kind BC soul care to post a pic of the installation? :)
[/quote]

Here's an SE-2 almost fully installed, only the pickup wires to go to the blend pot (the one at the bottom with the small circuit board).

[quote name='neepheid' timestamp='1350377248' post='1837888']
I have used the SE-2, the SE-2A and the SE-3 in the past. Had no problems with the SE-2 and SE-3 but had two SE-2As fail on me (the concentric pot both times - horrible pops and thumps when you wiggle/turn the pot). Sound wise they do a good job - especially for the price of them. Pretty easy install, it's all soldering to circuit boards, no need to muck about with pots as they come ready with leads and use connectors to attach to the main board.
[/quote]

Hm. Maybe that's my problem...

[quote name='neepheid' timestamp='1350377248' post='1837888']
[/quote]
Same problem with me. Had an SE3 in my Bass Collection but the pots got really "scratchy". Shame as it is a pretty good pre-amp.