Why become a member? ×

Queen - Hammer To Fall

Hobbayne

[quote name='silddx' timestamp='1349950411' post='1832540']
I can never understand why anyone would take a constituent of the whole and judge it in isolation. It's like enjoying a wonderful plate of food then eating half a teaspoon of salt and being surprised it tastes horrible.
[/quote]
Great analogy!

I was expecting some sort of trainwreck looking at the youtube comment before I listened to the actual track. Slightly loose in places but frankly if I'd recorded a cover of that tune and got it to sound like that [i]and[/i] (more importantly) it fitted in with what the rest of the band were playing as well as that original track does then I'd be quite happy. Never a huge fan of Queen but it seems well enough put together to me as a finished product. There are no doubt plenty of other isolated bas stracks with all manner of minor imperfections that no one ever noticed in the final mixed piece of music.

There's only one use for an isolated track...if you're trying to learn that part and you can't hear it well enough in the mix :)

The band I'm in recorded a jam we had a couple of weeks ago and we could isolate our tracks. As someone who doesn't rate his playing anyway, hearing my bass part on its own made my confidence plumet. In the mix it sounded fine and my band mates thought so to. What ya know :rolleyes:

Mind you, having listened to John Deacon's bassline in isolation, it is great for less experienced, '[i]green around the ears[/i]' players like myself.

First and foremost, it's my hobby and I play for fun, how things are meant to sound in the mix, has taken me a long time to get to grips with.

For more experienced bassists who have been gigging for years, and spent lots of time in the studio, they will know exactly what's required, but when you are practising at home on your own, that lovely warm sound you get from your bass and amp is very pleasing, but when you start playing with other musicians, you wonder why you sound terrible.

So listening to the rawness of parts in isolation, really helps us realise that a lot of thought and effort has to be put in by all members of the band, to get the overall sound just right.

[quote name='thebrig' timestamp='1349942464' post='1832406']

I assume you are referring to me!
Well it was a "tongue-in- cheek" comment about [u]MY[/u] ability, and not meant as a criticism of [u]HIS[/u] playing!

I play in a covers band, and our gigs are mainly in small venues and pubs, and I have only ever been in a studio once, and that was to record a three-song demo CD
When I heard my playing isolated afterwards, I was a bit disappointed, but hearing great players isolated too, helps you to realise that maybe that is what it is meant to sound like, and after the final mix, I was happy, as I cut through nicely, and my playing actually sounded smooth and warm.

Just an observation, lately, I've noticed that quite a few BC'ers are resorting to insulting comments, when they disagree with other people's views, disagree by all means, but things like "grade A helmet" and worse, are totally unnecessary, and not really what the BassChat community is all about.

You see! I disagree with you, but I don't need to insult you. :unsure:
[/quote]

It wasn't aimed at you mate, it was aimed at the stupid comment left by the jealous bedroom bassist on YouTube.
Sorry for the confusion

[quote name='Jack Cahalane' timestamp='1349953143' post='1832582']
It wasn't aimed at you mate, it was aimed at the stupid comment left by the jealous bedroom bassist on YouTube.
Sorry for the confusion
[/quote]
No problem, when I re-read it, I could see that you actually put "[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]comment on YouTube" (Specsavers and all that), and you are right it was a stupid comment![/font][/color]

A few months ago, there was an online competition to remix Don't Stop Me Now. I downloaded the raw tracks to have a bit of a play with them and was struck by how rough the individual performances were - not awful, but surprisingly unpolished. Yet it was clear that when blending everything together, the individual flaws gave the recording energy and excitement that I'm certain would be missing otherwise. What's more, none of the errors sounded like mistakes when heard mixed in with the whole performance.

I've been concerned in the past about my performances when hearing them in isolation. It's good to hear that recording artists that have sold millions do the same things - and to appreciate that these things may well have had a positive effect on the overall recording.

I can never understand why anyone would take a constituent of the whole and judge it in isolation. It's like enjoying a wonderful plate of food then eating half a teaspoon of salt and being surprised it tastes horrible.
[/quote]

Can I steal this?
Great comment. I *will* steal it ;)

[/quote]

Great analogy, point well made. in fact this really deserves to be in the BC famous quotes thread...

I sent the isolated bass track to my band members, and one of the guitarists said, it can't be John Deacon, it's probably just someone playing the bass line in their bedroom.

So I downloaded all four isolated tracks from YouTube, Bass, drums, guitars and vocals, and spent some time lining the tracks up in Reaper, I have not altered them in any way, no mixing, nothing! just put them together and rendered them.

Listen to the tracks in isolation first, and then listen to them combined.

Sorry, but how do you upload mp3's?

Edited by thebrig

Listening to isolated tracks is very enlightening.
I remember listening to the Blood Sugar Sex Magik album by the RHCP... when mixed it sounds great, but listening to the bass alone it reveals some less than perfect sounds at times... but it works.
Also, the actual bass sound... it does not sound as "inspiring" as you'd imagine, by itself, but in the mix it sits perfectly and sounds really good.