Why become a member? ×

Bi Sonic / Darkstar

henry norton

I've been hankering after some Darkstars to put into my short scale semi but right now it's impossible to find them except at unobtanium prices on fleabay. I know there's a Swedish guy who's looking into remakes and Curt Novak is working on some too but I want mine NOW!!! or at least soon. So, I'm putting my prototype engineering skills to use and will make some myself. I haven't had one to copy directly (Darkstar or Bi Sonic) but there's so much information out there I haven't really had to guess anything yet. The main reason nobody's taken it on 'til now has probably been the tooling to make the bobbin and the polished mounting ring, which could easily run into thousands, but luckily that's the sort of thing I can do.

Here's the first model of the bobbin. Next up is the mounting ring.

I'll be trying a 5 string version if this one works out

• 2 weeks later...

Here's the first stamping of the polished ring using a temporary tool. It's not been cleaned up as I wanted to test the basic shape and form so will now make a permanent, hard tool set using this as a pattern.
I've set it on the bobbin pattern just to show how it'll look. Very excited now :D

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Here's the latest instalment of the NuSonic Saga. I've drilled out the 4 string bobbin to check for final fit etc. before I embark on a run of them. I've also made a start on a NuSonic 5 - I don't have the rings made yet but I've made a bobbin. Here they both are loaded with the polepiece mechanisms.
[attachment=125464:P1010033.JPG]
the 4
[attachment=125465:P1010035.JPG]
the 5

The 4's mounted in my original unpolished pickup ring but I'm in the process of making up hard tools for both the 4s and 5s so hopefully I'll have some finished prototypes within the next few weeks.

[quote name='henry norton' timestamp='1356791854' post='1913652']
Thanks Luke - If you end up buying one I'll route a BiSonic sized hole in your JV for free!

Just kidding by the way ;)
[/quote]

hahha ! :) no ive a bitsa jazz..... Out of interest... could you PM me with how much you think they will be?

• 3 weeks later...