Why become a member? ×

STRAPLOCKS

Count Bassy

[quote name='Hit&Run' post='41607' date='Aug 5 2007, 02:41 PM']Here's a variation on a theme:

[url="http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Strap-Locks-ROCLOCS_W0QQitemZ170135438993QQihZ007QQcategoryZ20831QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmViewItem"]roclocs[/url][/quote]

What a bad, bad, bad idea!

A screw in eye, with a carabiner attached: every time your strap rotates (which they do!) , it'll either screw in too much and strip the threads/wood or it'll unscrew and fall out.

I don't think I can emphasise enough how much of a bad idea I think those are, and I'm tempted to ignore all your posts Hit&Run for giving bad advice.

[quote name='Alpha-Dave' post='41799' date='Aug 6 2007, 08:49 AM']What a bad, bad, bad idea!

A screw in eye, with a carabiner attached: every time your strap rotates (which they do!) , it'll either screw in too much and strip the threads/wood or it'll unscrew and fall out.

I don't think I can emphasise enough how much of a bad idea I think those are, and I'm tempted to ignore all your posts Hit&Run for giving bad advice.[/quote]

HAHAHAHHAAHA THAT IS THE SINGLE WORST IDEA I HAVE EVER SEEN! That would completely wreck your instrument! Good call Dave, these are almost offensive.

On the subject of straplocks however i must say that i favour Schaller, although im sure that Dunlop make a good alternative, i find the schaller ones completely reliable, easy to use and reasonably priced. And they come in all your favourite colours! As far as Grolsch "locks" go, all i can say is, "how very punk", im sure they do the job and admittedly they are practically free (with awesome beer), but come on you wouldnt really put them on any instrument worth a great deal. Not trying to sound like a snob. But still... you do get beer

• 2 weeks later...

I can't believe that one of the two biggest problems with schaller locks hasn't been mentioned. We've sorted the whole screw coming undone thing with the better boston locks, but what about the fact that you end up with oily black gunk on your schaller strap buttons after lots and lots of use just from the friction/dirt combining to create an oil like substance which you then inadvertantly get on your white t-shirt when playing without a strap and leaning over to one side to nub your fag out/change fx settings/get a drink/plug in tuner.

Dunlops the contact points are not exposed when the strap isn't fitted. Marvellous.

• 3 months later...

Dunlops for me.

I bought some the last time I bought a new bass.

I dropped my old bass right on my big toe whilst the new bass and straplocks where in transit. Like a premonition it was. :)

dunlops are a real pain in the arse to get on your strap - but once they're on - they're great - especially if you have more than one bass and only one strap like me. Off and on again in 10 seconds.

Edited by bigjohn