Why become a member? ×

Wunjo Bass shop Denmark Street

fender73

• 2 weeks later...

[quote name='daz' timestamp='1351135344' post='1847809']

On the strength of a few good reports from the biggest musical rippoff street in Christendom ?

I'm still waiting to see if those Denmark Street guys from Music Ground who were putting together 'vintage' amps and cabs, as well as guitars and basses, on a wholesale scale, will ever get prosecuted ?? This was a very serious fraud with them even going to the trouble to make fake serial plates, and putting dust rust and fluff in to the newer made up bodies to make them appear vintage. Same guys also owned 3 other Denmark Street stores.

ps: In fairness, as far as Im aware non of this has anything to do with [b]Wunjo[/b] who just have the unfortunate happenstance to be on the same street ( and pay the same exorbitant rent and rates, I'm sure)
[/quote]

What's this story about fake gear? Got a link?

Edited by Stacker

[quote name='Stacker' timestamp='1352220988' post='1860351']
What's this story about fake gear? Got a link?
[/quote]

take your pick: [url="https://www.google.co.uk/#hl=en&safe=off&sclient=psy-ab&q=music+ground+fake&oq=+Music+Ground+&gs_l=hp.1.1.0l4.2901.2901.0.5731.1.1.0.0.0.0.89.89.1.1.0.les%3B..0.0...1c.2.-lghROdHMlE&pbx=1&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.r_cp.r_qf.&fp=b5ca56f4f0ed47d2&bpcl=37643589&biw=1280&bih=799"] google page[/url]

• 2 weeks later...

well I was in london today,
went into wunjo,met one of the sales guys
lawrence was his name,cool guy,if you want to try anything no problem,I goes and
tries a black musicman,
I had been playing a bit,some other people came in,started to feel a bit guilty
so says to the guy I will stop and let the other people have a go,its ok he said you carry ontheres lots of room
anything else you want to try,
what a joy to go into a store in denmark street and not be treated like pooh
as has happened to me and others in the past,will I buy
for sure they will get my money,top job guys

Edited by stef030

Another +1 for Wunjo from me. Went in to try a Geddy out, Lawrence and Tom were working and happily set me up so I could a have a good old noodle on it. And noodle I did, then fell in love with the neck on it BIGTIME, and had a chat with Brian about putting a deposit on it there and then. Great comms via email (I live 100+ miles away from them!) and I picked it up and completed the deal the week after. Highly recommended, buy with confidence from these fellas! :)

• 10 months later...

Another one singing the praises! Tom was amazing when I went in. I was after a fretless Ibanez (they had one advertised in the website but when I went they didn't) so instead it was a case of pick a bass I like and they defretted it for me!!!

I now have the fretless Ibanez I dreamed of and the service was awesome!

I have been popping in randomly since I moved to London last year. They recognize me every time I walk by after band practice and always say hello. As soon as I find something that catches my eye in the shop I will be purchasing! (Not saying they have bad stock, it's very good, but I am fussy!)

Lovely people.

I bought my beautiful Coronado from them the other day. Absolutely first class service, and blew everyone else out of the water on price. As well as the 2 year warrenty it comes with 2 years unlimited set-ups. For the new-Fender nay-sayers at least there is a route for the non-setter up types to get the instrument just how they want it.

Plus, I was searching for some sexy-flats to put on the C, after searching the usual suspects I thought I'd give Wunjo a call. Later that day I picked up a set of medium scale La Bellas at a very keen price.

Thanks to Tom and the guys, keep up the good work! :)

Yeah I have to add, great service, really friendly staff, loads of variety in such a small shop.

I don't like playing in a store because no matter what you do, you either suck, or you're a show off or you're playing a cliche, but those guys will let you take it home and thoroughly get used to it, and if it doesn't suit you, and you haven't destroyed it, you can bring it back to the shop up to a month later I think! Great shop.

I've already gone on about these guys in another thread, but I've had numerous positive experiences in this store with Laurence, Tom and others. I have already dropped about £1200 on USA jazz deluxe and am almost saved up for the 5 string version. I am also planning on buying other accessories from them. They strike me as on the level, customer service oriented and savvy when it comes on online reputation. Keep up the good work guys!

Already commented on the other thread: http://basschat.co.uk/topic/216702-denmark-street-youve-changed/
I avoid music shops generally because of the attitude you get in them. I went into wunjo as it was my birthday and I fancied looking at a jazz bass. They were the complete opposite of what I was expecting, friendly, helpful and not pushy. I ended up getting a VM Fretless squire, so they didn't even push me at the expensive stuff, and not only that, as I had difficultly making my mind up, I rang them up from home and they gave me free shipping to the same price that the online shops were doing.

When it is time to get something a bit more, it would be the first place I would look, and this is from someone 120 miles away.

[quote name='Philboyo' timestamp='1350999321' post='1846017']
I too went in there to browse on a Saturday morning and ended up with a splendid vintage modified jaguar that was set up and delivered for a bargin price.
[/quote]

I played the modern player jag in there and out of everything I played, that was my absolute favourite for both sound and playability, but i couldn't get over the ugliness of it! I know, I am really shallow, it was quite a tear as it played so well. I think I will probably end up getting one at some point when I get over myself (or go blind!).

[quote name='Mr Fretbuzz' timestamp='1349554794' post='1827785']
I don't get those rockinbetters :-(
[/quote]

I have one, I picked it up as it was there, and now I find myself going back to it when I want to play something. In a group that plays rush / yes / genesis / King crimson style music, it works so well, and more importantly it is just nice to play.

But as others said, it is horses for courses, I don't get precisions :D

Was in London on Saturday, was the only shop I bothered with and the only shop I didn't feel like a second class citizen in (bear in mind I was walking round with a £300 gigbag)

Tried a Coronado and a Starcaster, decided they were both nice but the '67 EB-2 felt like home, just need to wait for a more pristine model to become available but defo were I'd be shopping if I wanted a new bass.

• 3 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Was up in London today. Saw a lovely translucent red Guild Starfire in Wunjo's window. It's been a while since I was in there, but I get shaken by the hand and called my first name. Had a skulk about trying to ignore the Starfire, but Tom passed it over and I had a quick run.

Bloody lovely it was too, slim and light with a fast jazz neck and not divey on a strap. The whole deal looks cool as f**k. A quality build from Guild AFAIC.

Alas my sense kicked in and I left it in the shop, but a very very nice different bass.

And once again ace service from the coolest bass shop in London.

I tried that Starfire the other day. Very good indeed IMO. (I went in to try the M-85 but the ergonomics, neck dive, string spacing and bridge were all hopeless.)

While I was there a swearing ranter came on the phone with what sounded like a minor set-up problem on a Squier he'd bought, and the guys were incredibly patient. Props to them.

Edited by KK Jale

• 3 weeks later...