Why become a member? ×

tuning issues prt2

christhammer666

i posted on here last night about tuning issues im having regards to tuning down and tuners not registering the notes.
seeing as when we start learning we learn in standard tuning and for me its easier to find the notes in standard tuning and its just what im used to
what i want to know is does anyone only play in standard and refuse everything else
ie bands that tune down ?

I don't refuse to play in drop tuning, but theres only the rare occasion that calls for it. Even then it's only drop tuning. In the function band we play Superstition, who doesn't?! And we play it in E, not Eb for sheer ease, I would imagine pretty much everyone will to.

Standard tuning has served me well so far, and I would happily detune if needed.

Dan

I refuse to play in anything that's not a standard tuning, but which one it is makes no odds to me; as long as the intervals between strings are 'normal' and it's not so low that the strings are floppy, I can play. I can't think in 'drop-x' (just one string dropped) etc because that's just "out of tune" to my non-reading, non-theory-knowing brain!

My main basses are tuned down half a step because that's what the guitarists in my band use and our singer is comfortable with, so its easier to join in and all have the same lowest note, but I don't bother to tune back up half a step to play along with stuff in 'standard' when playing at home. Likewise, my 5 is in 'standard' and I wouldn't bother tuning that down.

I used to stubbornly refuse to tune down half a step to match the guitarist, going to the D# on the A string if that note was required.
I soon realised that this was both a pain in the arse and sounded really weak, so I detuned and suggested we go down even lower by another half step to D standard.

[quote name='pietruszka' timestamp='1349525477' post='1827338']
In the function band we play Superstition, who doesn't?! And we play it in E, not Eb for sheer ease, I would imagine pretty much everyone will to.
[/quote]
The function bands I play with always play it in Eb.We have keys and horns though-all the bands that I've played it in E with
have been guitar bands.

With regards to drop tuning,I generally don't do it (despite having a D-tuner on my Jazz) and have never had any need to-even with
guitarists that do. If you want to detune,that's fine-the only thing that bothers me is when people detune and refer to the notes
incorrectly (the same with capos).

[quote name='Doddy' timestamp='1349532558' post='1827454']

The function bands I play with always play it in Eb.We have keys and horns though-all the bands that I've played it in E with
have been guitar bands.

With regards to drop tuning,I generally don't do it (despite having a D-tuner on my Jazz) and have never had any need to-even with
guitarists that do. If you want to detune,that's fine-the only thing that bothers me is when people detune and refer to the notes
incorrectly (the same with capos).
[/quote]
Ah yes! Guitar bands, I will definitely go with you on that.

And your point on defining and referring to the notes incorrectly is very true, and it boils my fluids dry!

Dan

[quote name='pietruszka' timestamp='1349570440' post='1827924']
Ah yes! Guitar bands, I will definitely go with you on that.

And your point on defining and referring to the notes incorrectly is very true, and it boils my fluids dry!

Dan
[/quote]
Are you saying that if tuned to D, for example, they would still refer to 3rd fret note as G rather than F? Agreed - that's annoying. Or are you saying that if tuned down a semitone, the 3rd fret Eb string should be referred to as F#? Perhaps a bit fussy and confusing!

[quote name='arthurhenry' timestamp='1349603421' post='1828075']

Are you saying that if tuned to D, for example, they would still refer to 3rd fret note as G rather than F? Agreed - that's annoying. Or are you saying that if tuned down a semitone, the 3rd fret Eb string should be referred to as F#? Perhaps a bit fussy and confusing!
[/quote]
The former! The guitarist in my band does it, she'll have a capo on the second fret and still calls the D shape chord D, even though it's now an E! Just because you're playing a D shape doesn't make it a D, still.

Dan

[quote name='arthurhenry' timestamp='1349603421' post='1828075']
[/quote]

If you are tuned down to Eb the 3rd fret would be an F#...Why would that be fussy and confusing,especially
as you say that the first example is annoying? It's the same thing.

[quote name='Doddy' timestamp='1349629818' post='1828456']
If you are tuned down to Eb the 3rd fret would be an F#...Why would that be fussy and confusing,especially
as you say that the first example is annoying? It's the same thing.
[/quote]
Technically and literally true, but I suspect almost every single band that tunes down a semitone would refer to the notes as if standard. If you were tuned down a semitone and someone told you to play a D, would you naturally go for the 6th fret? Surely the idea of tuning all the strings down (but still tuned in 4ths) is that you can 'forget' you've done it and play/refer to notes as normal.

[quote name='arthurhenry' timestamp='1349630426' post='1828464']
Technically and literally true, but I suspect almost every single band that tunes down a semitone would refer to the notes as if standard. If you were tuned down a semitone and someone told you to play a D, would you naturally go for the 6th fret? Surely the idea of tuning all the strings down (but still tuned in 4ths) is that you can 'forget' you've done it and play/refer to notes as normal.
[/quote]
If I was detuned,then yes I would be thinking of D as being on the 6th fret,because that's where it will be and I'm thinking
about the notes,not the fret number.
Try playing with a keys player or a horn player(or anyone that isn't a guitarist) and referring to the notes as if
you were in standard tuning.

[quote name='arthurhenry' timestamp='1349630426' post='1828464']
[/quote]

So if your band is tuned down to D G C F A D on the guitar and you're playing a song in the key of D but you're still. referring to it as E which key is your singer singing in? Answer - D.

[quote name='Doddy' timestamp='1349631130' post='1828475']

If I was detuned,then yes I would be thinking of D as being on the 6th fret,because that's where it will be and I'm thinking
about the notes,not the fret number.
Try playing with a keys player or a horn player(or anyone that isn't a guitarist) and referring to the notes as if
you were in standard tuning.
[/quote]
Especially when following the keys player's left hand on something unfamiliar!

Dan

[u][b]You're all entirely correct.[/b][/u] I would strongly suspect, though, that in most rock band guitar/bass/drums/vocals situations, they would communicate as if in standard tuning.

Also:
Which note is found at the fifth fret of the four string bass guitar's lowest string? The only answer can be 'any note you like'! How many of us would give that answer?