Why become a member? ×

Mr blue sky on bbc4 now

gub

The Tony Curtis connection never fails to amuse me.

Seems he was a bit of a fan of rock fan back in the day - I watched a film about Bowie the other day and he was on there as well, turning up at the Hammersmith Odeon to see the Ziggy Stardust concert.

Edited by Cosmo Valdemar

Just caught this on iPlayer. I must have filed him and ELO away under memorabilia or something, but this reminds me what a gift he has as a songwriter (those melodies!) and a singer (that voice!).

A few more like him and there would never have been a need for AutoTune.

I've been loving the 'live from the bungalow' thing with just Jeff and Richard Tandy. Great to hear stuff like 'Telephone Line' stripped back.

Always loved ELO. Loads of fair to middling songs and one or two great ones actualy improved by near brilliant arranging and production/ A rare thing. I doubt I'd get on with Jeff - seems a very self centred man professionally but that's certainly what's led to his success and you can't knock that.

The doc that's been on wasn't so good. Just seemed like an excuse to get Macca and Ringo on spouting off about that God awful free as a bird sh*te. That was a small thing in Jeff's career overall but was treated as some sort of peak. The Wilberrys footage was interesting though.

The Tom Petty doc 'Runnin Down A Dream' deals with the Wilbury thing more extensivey (it is about 4 hours long after all!) for those interested. I watched pretty much all the Jeff stuff as ELO were one of the first bands I got seriously interested in. The very early stuff tends to get glossed over because it wasn't commercial but there's some cracking material on ELO2 and On The Third Day. Listening to the albums chronologically you can really get a feel of how it was developing and how Lynne's songwriting was changing direction. I think he got a bit disillusioned with the whole ELO thing toward the end so it was natural for him to spend more time producing other people and getting their albums as good as they could, he's always been a studio animal.

wonderful documentary but yes needed much more on early years and Move in particular who were a great band. Also, a vintage guitar and bass collection to die for I think . . .

Me and a mate started to discuss it Sunday morning as we took our kids to a playcentre and first thing we said was - nice house but where does he put the wife and kids??

[quote name='socrates' timestamp='1349698790' post='1829187']
wonderful documentary but yes needed much more on early years and Move in particular who were a great band.
[/quote]

I'm guessing , but looking at the Jeff/Roy Wood split would likely have poured a bit of water on a pretty upbeat doc. . plus I think the makers just got carried away with having Ringo and Macca take part.

There was a lot of name calling around , too , with ELO at the end. As I recall , bass player Kelly Groucutt felt particularly agrieved. Jeff spoke himself about his musical single mindedness and I expect the doc set out to show the positive side of that rather than the negative.

Bottom line....... here's a fella that was in the Move , was the main man of ELO , leading light in the Travelling Wilburys , and brought John Lennon back from the dead !! I reckon when Jeff has something to say we ought to listen.

I missed some of the crucial stages in his life (can't really say that I understood how it all came to success) but still enjoyed his love for music..
Also really jealous of that house he has..
Still can't really listen to his productions..he has a signature snare-drum sound I really hate and he uses it in all of his productions and it sounds like the drummer of ELO plays on all those tracks...It's a trebly snare sound which I find only appropriate in ELO but not in other rock situations imo..

Also it has to be taken into account that Jeff only came in right at the end of The Move, they'd had their time by the point he joined. Jeff and Roy were pretty much planning what they would go on to do together soon after Jeff was on board. Considering Wood then only lasted 1 ELO album as they both wanted to be band leaders the actual time they spent together in any band couldn't have been much more than a couple of years so in the context of Jeff's full career it isn't that big a chapter.
On a trivial note, anyone else think that maybe Jeff's trademark hair might not be his own anymore? I mean, he has barely changed in 40 years, it's not natural is it? ;)

[quote name='Dr.Dave' timestamp='1349702220' post='1829262']
How many of us want this in next weeks set ?? I do !!! I'm going to suggest it.
[/quote]

You certainly wouldn't be the first to cover it Dave ;)

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HJE_puVA29s"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HJE_puVA29s[/url]

[quote name='Dr.Dave' timestamp='1349702220' post='1829262']
In fact......... here's Jeff and Roy in The Move.
[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uNClsvgv2V0[/media]

How many of us want this in next weeks set ?? I do !!! I'm going to suggest it.
[/quote]

Great tune, one of my first early record purchases. Brill drum fill around 2.18 too!!!