Why become a member? ×

Yamaha TRB history

Pinball

On 24/12/2022 at 12:50, BassAgent said:

A few weeks ago, I played a bass that I had probably played in 2001 for the last time. At the time I was 11 years old and was looking for my first fretless bass. At the local music store they had two Yamahas (I really wanted a Yamaha because I already had a fretted Yamaha): an RBX270F and an amber TRB5IIF, which was quite a bit more expensive. I really liked the TRB, though, and réally wanted to have it. Unfortunately my parents found it too expensive at the time and I got the RBX which I really enjoyed for a few years.
Two weeks back I interviewed a bass player for my podcast. She has quite a nice collection, including a fretless amber TRB5II. I told her this story, and she said: well, I bought this exact bass around that time in that very shop. There weren't many of these basses around then (especially there) so chances are pretty big that it's the very same bass. It still felt...special. Somehow. 

So now, I'm trying to buy the bass that I wanted to own 21 years ago. I hope it's going to work out. That would be quite something.

It's here❤️

IMG_5518.JPG

IMG_5519.JPG

IMG_5521.JPG

• Like 6

Got two TRB 5ers, including a fretless. Great basses - punch well above their price point - easily as good as other basses I've owned which were significantly more expensive. 

Good luck with the potential purchase.

20230523_175129.jpg

20230523_175406.jpg

• Like 4

• 3 months later...

Hi all

I'm wondering whether anyone in this thread might be able to help me find out a bit more about my TRB 6II?

I think I've had it about 10 years and bought it from a bass forum, it might even have been this one? It looks almost identical to the one in BassAgent's post above and it has a stamp on the back of the headstock that looks like it says "QJZ069F MADE IN JAPAN TRB-6II". It's a lovely bass and it would be nice to know a bit about it and to find out where I might be able to locate an OE jack plug for it.

Thanks in hope. 🙂

Sandman

36 minutes ago, Sandman said:

Hi all

I'm wondering whether anyone in this thread might be able to help me find out a bit more about my TRB 6II?

I think I've had it about 10 years and bought it from a bass forum, it might even have been this one? It looks almost identical to the one in BassAgent's post above and it has a stamp on the back of the headstock that looks like it says "QJZ069F MADE IN JAPAN TRB-6II". It's a lovely bass and it would be nice to know a bit about it and to find out where I might be able to locate an OE jack plug for it.

Thanks in hope. 🙂

Sandman

See when you say plug, do you mean socket?

Assuming you do, here's a video pertinent to your post:

Unfortunately, it's a barrel jack - they're known to fail over time and I guess you could noise up Yamaha who may be able to supply you with a pre-wired one with the connectors already there, but that might take a while and probably be costly - the alternative is to carefully desolder the wires off the old socket (taking a note of where they went) and just make sure you replace the barrel jack with something quality like a Neutrik to give it the best chance of longest life - don't skimp.  They're a standard size/shape.

Edited by neepheid
  • Like 1

Thanks very much, that is so helpful - not seen the video before. Makes it look relatively simple but when I was googling to see where I could get a barrel from (correct term, sorry) I couldn't see one with the wiring already attached; hence my question about OE - my soldering skills are a little less than rubbish... #facepalm 🙂