Why become a member? ×

Yamaha TRB history

Pinball

I'm still gutted to this day I sold my blue trb6 when I was a music student. 

I still keep an eye out for it as it was my first 'proper' bass. 

Ive seen it pass through many years ago but this was the last it was seen...

• Sad 1

Guest Corto14

I don't use her very often and she need new strings and a proper setup, but even in those condition my trb sounds too good .
Family photo 
CD4B0295-9505-4F7E-819A-2BFAAA23B681_1_201_a.thumb.jpeg.c953e1a36bba1fbdf8e4a56573472ad7.jpeg

I am picking up a TRB JP1 from 1992 next month. Back and forth will be a 5-6hr drive but I think well worth it.
Found this thread because I was looking for the function of that mids mode selector. So far I have found any "slap contour" found on basses or amps sounds crap and kills harmonics but we'll see...

Previously I owned a Warwick pro series Streamer LX6 which had zero character (but thomann were dumping them at ridiculous prices at the time) and a Chris Larkin Bassix - the prequel to his Reactor series which had really tiny stringspacing.
I am hoping the TRB will be a better gamble for me.

• 5 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
14 hours ago, aguacollas said:

Indeed it is. I just paid for a Yamaha Trb JP1 that should arrive next week. 
A dream come true. 

I don’t want to die asking myself could I have released all the tones and music that lie on such a superb instrument. 

Amazing basses. Pre-amp hisses a bit when you emphasize the treble frequencies.

The dual truss rods are really easy to adjust. Mine came with very thin strings on but now has a pack of Fodera custom steels.

I did have to adjust the rods accoringly. This thing plays as good as any boutique brand instrument. Total winner of a bass!

Yamastrings1.thumb.jpg.0c04998716faffeffe86e6766f5e4f83.jpg

Edited by DiMarco
Added image.
  • Like 4

21 hours ago, DiMarco said:

Amazing basses. Pre-amp hisses a bit when you emphasize the treble frequencies.

The dual truss rods are really easy to adjust. Mine came with very thin strings on but now has a pack of Fodera custom steels.

I did have to adjust the rods accoringly. This thing plays as good as any boutique brand instrument. Total winner of a bass!

Yamastrings1.thumb.jpg.0c04998716faffeffe86e6766f5e4f83.jpg

Mine is to be sent to me today. Brand new Fodera nickel strings light gauge.

Never played Fodera strings. 

I really think it will be one of my main basses. With the Yamaha 6, my fretless Warwick 5, a great Lakland Skyline 4 and a Matsumoku 80s P bass I think I have everything I need, at last. 

I’ll post pics and impressions when it arrives. 

• Like 2

I have two more great Warwicks, a surprisingly good Harley Benton P bass and an 80sfretless Ibanez Roadster that fit that description… 

Honestly, even if I don’t want to, at least one of those has to go. 

I’m just waiting for the Yamaha to confirm it really will be that one that will rule them all. 

I’ve been authorised by the seller to use some of his pics here. So this 5 kg of japanese craftsmanship is what I am waiting for:343EAF3B-2520-4A7D-A7E2-96354596B1AD.thumb.jpeg.771c8d6c4b189be1d3cc4d399540db47.jpeg

• Like 7

On 15/10/2021 at 14:10, aguacollas said:

I have two more great Warwicks, a surprisingly good Harley Benton P bass and an 80sfretless Ibanez Roadster that fit that description… 

Honestly, even if I don’t want to, at least one of those has to go. 

I’m just waiting for the Yamaha to confirm it really will be that one that will rule them all. 

I’ve been authorised by the seller to use some of his pics here. So this 5 kg of japanese craftsmanship is what I am waiting for:343EAF3B-2520-4A7D-A7E2-96354596B1AD.thumb.jpeg.771c8d6c4b189be1d3cc4d399540db47.jpeg

Mine is one of the most early ones and afaik made in indonesia, not in japan. Not that it really matters. Love the finish on yours!

5 hours ago, TheGreek said:

What do you think?

image.png.11214e26abaeb6b68ab146d8f39fafb7.png

When I was buying my first fretless bass (I think I was 11 or 12) it was between the RBX270F and the TRB5IIF (but in amber), and got the RBX (mostly because the TRB was too expensive at the time). Still have some slumbering GAS though, for that fretless TRB.

I have owned two TRBs:

hR2CFBT.jpg.9ad3e490c613932ebaa5c3b6721fcd9d.jpg

AkoJjhr.jpg.620728aeeb3f9e4341f3ece665f268b0.jpg
I sold them both because they didn't fit my style and taste at the time but boy, are they awesome... I have the feeling the prices of TRBs are increasing after a long period of getting next to nothing for one: I sold the amber fretted 5II for about €500, but now I see people asking €800+ for one.

Edited by BassAgent
  • Like 2

WOW!!!

TRB 5IIf arrived this morning. Beautiful and amazing to play. Came set up with the lowest action on any bass I've ever played and fitted with flat wounds. No wear on the fretboard whatsoever. 

Though I only had 10mins playing it I was very impressed with the tonal quality...such gorgeous tones. 

I've experimented with fretless several times but this is inspirational.

What do you think??

20211020_115309.jpg

20211020_115245.jpg

20211020_115331.jpg

20211020_115346.jpg

Edited by TheGreek
  • Like 3