Why become a member? ×

Yamaha TRB history

Pinball

This thread on TalkBass provides more info on the pickup wiring (see last post at bottom of page).
- http://www.talkbass.com/forum/f38/yamaha-trb-original-pups-glock-3-band-pre-855014/

What do you mean when you say 'what does the boost on the original preamp do'?

The original preamp has bass cut/boost, treble cut/boost and a three position switch which selects a mid boost (this can be preset within the control cavity), a slap countour (again adjustable within the cavity) and a flat setting. If you remove the control plate on the back of the bass there should be instructions printed inside indicating how to adjust these preset sounds.

OK, the rotary switch positions are as follows:

1. fully counter-clockwise - flat
2. middle position - slap contour (EQ01). This has a fixed level of cut/scoop at the selected frequency. Use the adjustment wheel to select the frequency.
3. fully clockwise - mid boost/cut (EQ02). Use the adjustment wheel to select the frequency. Use the trim pot to adjust the required amount of boost (or cut).

Default settings for the EQ01 and EQ02 frequencies are with the wheel marker in the middle. This gives a good sound to my ears but play around to find the settings that work best for you.

I have a TRB5 and TRB6, both Mk1 made in Japan. Great instruments.but slightly noisy preamps, though nothing to worry about in a live setting. Had a MkII TRB5 for a while but didn't get on with it, not sure if it was the 35" scale or just general tone/feel.
The cutaway on the Mk1's that is supposedly there to help popping etc. I find a bit annoying, as the gap under the top strings is too big compared with my other basses. It's a fix for a problem that never existed imho.
Yes, the jack sockets are notoriously unreliable - I think I've replaced them on all my 3 Yamahas at one point or another. I also wax-dipped the pick-ups on the TRB5 as I found them a bit on the microphonic side.

• 10 months later...

Not quite sure if this is the best place to post, but still...

I have had Yamaha TRB-6P which I bought around 1996 second hand from the Bass Centre. At the time, the tube station near the shop was closed so I did some walking from Tower Hill to get there and caught a bus back carrying the bass in a Hiscox case and also a stand.

It is (of course) through neck and has the 5 pots and a switch.

As far as I can tell you get the Volume Control and a pan pot for the pickups. Below that are two tone controls. Are they Bass and Treble? The last pot is for panning between the Magnetic and Piezo pickups. The switch seems to cut the bass frequencies.

I have never noticed any difference between using passive or active inputs on the amp I get to use. A Trace Elliot combo with a 15" speaker.

What is the best input to use and is there anything else I have missed in the 17 or so years I have owned it!

I presume this bass was made in Japan?

[quote name='Mxyzptlk' timestamp='1389765693' post='2337616']
As far as I can tell you get the Volume Control and a pan pot for the pickups. Below that are two tone controls. Are they Bass and Treble? The last pot is for panning between the Magnetic and Piezo pickups. The switch seems to cut the bass frequencies.

I presume this bass was made in Japan?
[/quote]

From this review - [url="http://www.bgra.net/2004/review.php?id=746&type=bass"]http://www.bgra.net/2004/review.php?id=746&type=bass[/url] - the controls are master volume, pan pot for P-J pickup blend, bass and treble boost/cut, a preamp on/off switch, and a pan pot for the P-J and piezo blend.
[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Yes, made in Japan.[/font][/color]

Edited by ikay

[quote name='ikay' timestamp='1389810033' post='2338178']
From this review - [url="http://www.bgra.net/2004/review.php?id=746&type=bass"]http://www.bgra.net/...d=746&type=bass[/url] - the controls are master volume, pan pot for P-J pickup blend, bass and treble boost/cut, a preamp on/off switch, and a pan pot for the P-J and piezo blend.
[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Yes, made in Japan.[/font][/color]
[/quote]

I think the switch actually changes the mids. There's no mid control on the bass, but the switch switches in a pre chosen cut or boost at a frequency already in there.

[quote name='Mxyzptlk' timestamp='1389842167' post='2338619']
The switch cuts something certainly. When it is on the sound is very thin, and the smallest movement on the strings gets amplified.

And my original query about Passive or Active, as there seems to be no difference in sound between the two. Is this normal?
[/quote]

Found this circuit diagram on TB - [url="http://www.talkbass.com/forum/f38/circuit-help-me-please-385255/"]http://www.talkbass.com/forum/f38/circuit-help-me-please-385255/[/url]. This shows a low cut switch for the piezo (bottom left). I can't see an active/passive switch in the circuit.

• 1 year later...

Guys, I realise this thread is over a year old - I have just bought an early TRB-5P.

It's a fabulous bass with an interesting history, but I can't for the life of me find the serial number!!

Is it just me?

It's not on the neck, headstock, end fret...Before I remove the electronics to search for it, where should it be?

Any info appreciated. Thanks

• 3 months later...
  • 5 years later...

According to the Yamaha TRB Club thread on Talkbass, TRB = Totally Radical Bass. Although others say this is a joke (which seems likely!).

If anyone can read japanese maybe the text (top left) of this ad for the original 1991 TRB custom gives a clue...

1622316391_YamahaTRBCustom1991.jpg.0daa3e73d9612d43ce1628b3d6dc9ded.jpg

Edited by ikay
  • Like 1

Here's the literal translation (slightly odd wording in places):

To express YAMAHA’s high dimensionality bass concept. Evolution of peripheral equipment contributes to sound-range expansion and for player’s desires such as new phrasing. Total quality cope (?) with a whole body. Compilation of technical style “TRB”.

Maybe 'Totally Radical Bass' isn't so far off after all.
  • Like 2

I have a trb5, slapcut and absolutely love it!..... possibly the treble is a little noisy when fully boosted but rolled back slightly, it's fine!....l too, had the trb5 ii and didn't gel with it, also on the heavy side where my series 1 is 4.2 kg.

• 4 months later...

I have a TRB-II 4 amber burst built in 1998. I do not like the preamp much, so I removed it and converted it to standard Fender Jazz bass wiring, with 250K CTS pots and Sprague Orange Drop capacitor. Vast improvement (for my taste anyway). The Yamaha pickups are quite trebly so the passive tone roll-off works really well. The white wire from the dummy coils I ran to earth and the two empty holes in the body I put old dummy pots in. Works great, nice tone and no more battery. This may or may not be of use to anyone wanting to convert to passive.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

BTW: when I got it, it had the typical rotating, crackling barrel socket. I got a new barrel socket from a music shop and found a big star washer that fits over the barrel. The star washer keeps the nut from working loose and holds the barrel solid, even without a rubber ring under the flange. Perfect! This may help anyone that's still having problems.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...