Why become a member? ×

Still trying to find "my" sound

Tankdave

Firstly I have a "MB TTE500" and a "GB Shuttle 9.0"

The TTE has that geat mid "valvey" sound and the top end is nicely controlled using the "colour" control, an LPF by any other name, but whilst the bottom end is hugely powerfull and thick, I find it a little bit muddy. (Mainly B-string stuff)

This is a hard one to explain, but whilst I like the TTE a great deal, I still prefer the ultimate bottom end sound of the Shuttle 9, it's much clearer, and has more depth of the low frequency reproduction. (bass control at mid), like it's got a lower frequency response?

A TTE/Valve amp that has the ability to reproduce the low B-String frequencies with the depth and definition of the Shuttle would be a nice one to own. Maybe, its a "you cant have it both ways mate" thing? I've tried the "GB Streamliner" BTW, did not like it, "muddy as hell" maybe its a cab/head pairing thing?

Just thinking and looking for idea's here, It's no problem keeping both, but maybe I'm missing something? The cabs I'm using are a pair of Vanderkley 112's

Edited by Tankdave

The Streamliner isn't muddy if you use a fairly balanced non-bass heavy cabinet, and drop the bass a bit.

I'd suggest a Shuttlemax 9.2 which I personally consider to be one of the best amps out at the moment.

Its the 9.0 plus a lot more. It also allows you to drive the pre tube quite a lot on the Tube channel, and the Fet channel is ULTRA clean.

I might keep an eye open for a 2nd hand Max on here, and for now I might just try using the bass "active", It might get me nearer?

Update:- Just realised the rather limited dB range of the tone controls on the TTE might be part of the problem? "I might not be turning them enough?" They also seem to have an effect each other, so I got some more tweaking to do here.

Edited by Tankdave