Why become a member? ×

Underrated Bass players

Lfalex v1.1

Doug Watkins - Sonny Rollins, Blakey's Jazz MEssengers and a shed load of other hard bop horn players

Marc Johsnon - why do people not talk about him? He is top drawer. His own Bass Instincts cds are exceptional but his work with Bill Evans and John Abercrombie is sublime.

Charles Mingus - my man.

Eric Reevis - monster player with Branford Marsalis. If you get a chance, go see him live.

The other Marsalis stablemates; Reginald Veal and Robert Hurst. RV with WYnton MArsalis and RH with Branford's trio are both double bass 'must hears'.

Mike Richmond - did a stint with Mingus Dynasty but has a much wider discography. Great technique.

Gary Karr - potentially the top solo classical player

Jimmy Garrison - lots of great work away from Coltrane that rarely gets heard

and what about the free players:

Buell Neidlinger, George Duvivier, Barry Guy, Barre Phillips, Gary Peacock (and with the Keith Jarrett 'standards' trio)...

Colin Moulding of XTC - inventive without being flash, and mandatory listening for anyone who thinks playing fretless turns one into a Jaco-alike.

Tom Fowler of mid-seventies Zappa et al - especially on Over-Nite Sensation and The Helsinki Concert.

[quote name='rogerstodge' timestamp='1345468945' post='1777781']
Anyone remember Colin Hodgekinson?

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gX09gTaWhtY&feature=youtube_gdata_player[/media]
[/quote]

I'm not really into virtuoso solo bass players, but Colin is just incredible - and very musical.

Edited by Cosmo Valdemar

• 1 month later...

Here's some of my favourite players that I've ripped off, or tried to, over the years:-
George Murray (Bowie '75 to '80), I've never managed to track down his stuff with Weldon Irvine
Fred Smith of Television
Rusty Allen, bass on Sly Stone's 'In time' album
Lequient 'Duke' Jobe of Rose Royce
John Siegler (Todd Rundgren and Utopia)

A few guys who I'm digging lately who don't get mentioned on here.....

Mike Gordon-Phish.I love this band...the interplay between all the members during the jams is great,and Mike's bass
is a big part of this.
Leonard 'Hub' Hubbard-The Roots...Sits back with some sparse grooving lines and then slips in some hip fill when you don't
expect it.
Raphael Saadiq-Tony,Toni,Tone...He's got that laid back vibe that sounds like it influenced Pino's work with D'angelo.
Miroslav Vitous-Weather Report,Chick Corea and more...Great Upright player.
Melvin Davis-Lee Ritenour,Chaka Kahn and more...Tons of groove and chops too.
Gerald Veasley-Joe Zawinul,Grover Washington and more...Tasty soloist and grooving bass player.

[quote name='Doddy' timestamp='1348697095' post='1817215']
A few guys who I'm digging lately who don't get mentioned on here.....

Leonard 'Hub' Hubbard-The Roots...Sits back with some sparse grooving lines and then slips in some hip fill when you don't
expect it.
Raphael Saadiq-Tony,Toni,Tone...He's got that laid back vibe that sounds like it influenced Pino's work with D'angelo.
[/quote]

+1 for Raphael Saadiq and Leonard Hubbard.

I'd also add Aaron Mills (Cameo and Outkast bassist, created some very funky basslines), plus Cordell 'Boogie' Mosson (the Parliament/Funkadelic bassist that did a lot of live and studio work who [u]isn't[/u] Bootsy), plus Mark Adams (Slave - possibly the best tone out of all the funk bass players I've heard).

[quote name='Bo0tsy' timestamp='1348737221' post='1817443']
I'd also add Aaron Mills (Cameo and Outkast bassist, created some very funky basslines),
[/quote]
Totally...I'm digging his line on Outkast's 'Miss Jackson' at the moment.
If we are going in that direction I think we can add Preston Crump and LaMarquis Jefferson (dig his line on
TLC's 'Waterfalls').

[quote name='Doddy' timestamp='1348697095' post='1817215']

[/quote]

That guy is so mind-numbingly talented that I'm beginning to hate him.....in a good way.....

[quote name='mike 110' timestamp='1348842705' post='1819035']
Chris Glen
Alan Lancaster
John Paul Jones
Geezer Butler
Andy Fraser
Jack Bruce
Mark King
Doug Pinnick
Ronnie Lane
John Entwistle
Peter Farndon - Pretenders first two albums
Trevor Burton - The Move & Steve Gibbons
Colin Moulding
[/quote]

I don't think any of them are 'somewhat forgotten'!

This guy's forgotten...... Gordon Rowley of "Strife", probably the most exciting bassist who ever strapped on a Precision.
John Reid on the V has mutton chops that make Noddy Holder's look like bum-fluff!

Prog your heart out!!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MWJdJ3JudUQ&feature=related

[quote name='Bilbo' timestamp='1348847442' post='1819109']How can someone you've never heard of be forgotten? :lol:[/quote]

Poor Gordon! :(
John Reid told me that Strife had many bands scared of having them on the same bill as they'd out-performed so many headliners; one of them allegedly Slade. It didn't happen, I was there. But damn they were good, certainly the best support band I ever saw.

[quote name='bremen' timestamp='1348843963' post='1819055']

I don't think any of them are 'somewhat forgotten'! Youre right of course ! But a lot of the players in the thread I dont know much about , if anything ,so I just thought I'd add some of the players whose stuff inspired me to pick up a Bass and want to play , especially the top 6
[/quote]

Edited by mike 110

As this topic ever been created?

Im sure there´s one here, but I couldn´t find it (sorry in advance), so here goes..

I feel that there are a number of bass players that don´t the recognition they deserve, so I´ve decided to open this topic so all of us can write down the name of those unsung bassplayers out there!

I´ll start with [b]Chris Novoselic[/b] - I´m not a fan of Nirvana, but I feel that his lines in Nevermind are just great.

Another one that doesn´t get any credibility ( I´m a big fan, but his latest albuns are pure crap IMHO), is [b]Lenny Kravitz[/b] - he plays the bass on all of his songs, and the sound he gets his just amazing. It sits high in the mix and all with a great vintage tone!

Cheers