Lfalex v1.1

Monk Montgomery.
[font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif][color=#000000]Phil Chen.[/color][/font]
[font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif][color=#000000]David Hood.[/color][/font]
Nate [Nathaniel] Phillips.

[font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif][color=#000000]Garry[/color][/font]

Edited by lowdown

Ok, here's a few from a DB player who's not really meant to know such things:-

Trevor Barry of Strictly Come Dancing, he's played with Rufus Wainwright, Right said Fred, Celine Dion, Robbie Williams, Phil Collins, Jim Carrey, Robin Williams, George Benson, Patti Austin, Jon Bon Jovi, Elvis Costello, Carol King, George Martin, Josh Groban, S Club 7, Russell Watson, Marc Almond, Sarah Brightman, Mel C, Beverly Knight, Yusuf Islam, Take That, Tom Jones, Natasha Bedingfield, Will Young, Shirley Bassey , Freddie Mercury , Jose Carrera, Montserrat Cabella, Dion Warwick, Burt Bacherach, James Morrison.

Also Les Hurdle from Crowthorne, Berks who I went to school with and played bass with Paul Simon on Brighteyes and also sessions with Rick Wakeman (6 Wives of Hank8)
Dave Wintour who I shared a flat with in Cheltenham who did sessions, incl Donna Summer's mould-breaking first disco LP

Also, let's hear it for two DB players who died in their twenties and had already made a massive difference to the way the DB is played - Jimmy Blanton (24) and Scott LaFaro (26). Who knows how DB playing would be today had they lived to a good age. The latter died in a car crash ten days after recording possibly the greatest jazz trio album ever - Bill Evans Live at the Village Vanguard.

[quote name='bassace' timestamp='1317582709' post='1392049']
Also, let's hear it for two DB players who died in their twenties and had already made a massive difference to the way the DB is played - Jimmy Blanton (24) and Scott LaFaro (26). Who knows how DB playing would be today had they lived to a good age. The latter died in a car crash ten days after recording possibly the greatest jazz trio album ever - Bill Evans Live at the Village Vanguard.
[/quote]
Absolutely. Scott LaFaro is my favorite DB player and the Village Vanguard albums my favorite jazz albums (I recommend the hard-to-find full unedited album with off-takes, interrupted takes etc). I even have the Kolstein LaFaro bass as my own mini tribute. Amazing player who revolutionised DB playing in only a few short years

[quote name='Clarky' timestamp='1317582967' post='1392059']
Absolutely. Scott LaFaro is my favorite DB player and the Village Vanguard albums my favorite jazz albums (I recommend the hard-to-find full unedited album with off-takes, interrupted takes etc). I even have the Kolstein LaFaro bass as my own mini tribute. Amazing player who revolutionised DB playing in only a few short years
[/quote]

Always knew you had class, Clarky!

[quote name='Slipperydick' timestamp='1317576840' post='1391958']
Have'nt bothered to wade all through the thread, its gettin long now.

Anybody else mentioned Andy Pyle. Apart from the Gary Moore stuff like Still Got The Blues etc. he's one of those players that just seems turn up an so many classic tracks. Just wish I had a laid back 'feel' like that.
[/quote]

Yes. One of my all-time favourite albums is Gary Moore's 'Blues for Greenie'. A lot of it is stripped-back guitar, bass and drums and Andy Pyle is on the money all the way through. I wonder what he's doing now that GM has gone upstairs to play with Phil Lynott again.

[quote name='Clarky' timestamp='1317582967' post='1392059']
[/quote]
Another fan of LaFaro, besides Bassace, Clarky and me, was Jack Casady (of Jefferson Airplane and Hot Tuna) - another somewhat forgotten bassist.

I've said it before and I'll say it again..Thump Thompson from "The Darts" still doing it better than Duck Dunn.
solid,Motown souly (in a doowop band sense) groovy when needed and with a bit of humour all chucked in. listen to "The Darts" back catalogue and not smile/love it ..No?...
" Prithee thou knowest not the works of "The Darts" Sire? i'Faith ye art made of stone, as Muyst thine ears bee me thinks,..my Lord, the fyinest tyunees that doth priyze the verye birds from the Treeze"

sorry when a bit "Chaucer" to make the point its "oldish" (not that much though only 1976/1980)
loved that band! too ignored by half!
great Bassman

did Chaucer have a Z?

I'd like to add Paulo Jr from Sepultura, if I may, who has created some very tight lines over the years; as well as the seemingly unknown Mike Dean, for his work with Corrosion Of Conformity.

Could I also squeeze in Mike Inez (Alice In Chains) and Scott Reeder... Might take Scott over Nick Oliveri if I'm only allowed one Kyuss bassist :)

I'd like to mention Dave Brubeck's bass player from 1961. The coffee bean advert features 'Unsquare dance' in 7/4 time. I love it's simplicity and it's very effective.

Anyone know 'Life is just a bowl of cherries' in 5/4 time?

[quote name='tom1946' timestamp='1317800019' post='1394610']
I'd like to mention Dave Brubeck's bass player from 1961. The coffee bean advert features 'Unsquare dance' in 7/4 time. I love it's simplicity and it's very effective.

Anyone know 'Life is just a bowl of cherries' in 5/4 time?
[/quote]

Ooh, that's a very in joke, sir! Bass player was Gene Wright, I seem to remember.

[quote name='Len_derby' timestamp='1317583394' post='1392087']

Yes. One of my all-time favourite albums is Gary Moore's 'Blues for Greenie'. A lot of it is stripped-back guitar, bass and drums and Andy Pyle is on the money all the way through. I wonder what he's doing now that GM has gone upstairs to play with Phil Lynott again.
[/quote]

http://www.therollband.com/

I'm guessing the other Pyles listed are his kids.

A while ago I saw Brian Auger, he was also in a band with his kids. I'm sure it's very nice for them - and they are good performers - but it's all a bit too cozy somehow.

[quote name='Johnnysonic' timestamp='1317770455' post='1394497']
Denis Dunaway of the original Alice Cooper Band. Just a great player.
[/quote]

Nice touch. Forgotten all about Dennis who was well ahead of the game as far as talented rock bass is concerned.
Loved the Killer album.
Thanks for that one. Now where are my Cooper albums kept ??
Dave

[quote name='wombatboter' timestamp='1317224566' post='1388351']
Steve Greetham (Annabel Lamb)..such a great fretless bassplayer
[/quote]
I see Steve almost every day.
We work for the same company in our day jobs.

he's in a band with Paul Young now called Los pacaminos - a sort of comedy c/w band:
In this track he is playing a 6 string acoustic guitar - not a bass:
[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tHU8454cSmk[/media]

Edited by Twigman

[quote name='Twigman' timestamp='1317833248' post='1395186']
I see Steve almost every day.
We work for the same company in our day jobs.
[/quote]

Wow...his playing really had a huge influence on me when I started trying out fretless (saw him live in Gent (Belgium) at the Vooruit).
Don't know if you will but if you want just tell him that a bass-player from Belgium tried to copy all his lines and learned a lot from him..I owe him. (that fretless on "Rope Bridge", stunning)

[quote name='spinynorman' timestamp='1317808614' post='1394728']

[url="http://www.therollband.com/"]http://www.therollband.com/[/url]

I'm guessing the other Pyles listed are his kids.

A while ago I saw Brian Auger, he was also[b] in a band with his kids[/b]. I'm sure it's very nice for them - and they are good performers - but it's all a [b]bit too cozy somehow[/b].
[/quote]

I play with my two daughters as a trio, mostly for charity events. From my experience I can assure you it's not cozy!
The amount of arguing, back-biting and general 'toys leaving pram' scenarios far outstrip any other band I've played with.
Or maybe it's just my family :)

[quote name='wombatboter' timestamp='1317834604' post='1395206']

Wow...his playing really had a huge influence on me when I started trying out fretless (saw him live in Gent (Belgium) at the Vooruit).
Don't know if you will but if you want just tell him that a bass-player from Belgium tried to copy all his lines and learned a lot from him..I owe him. (that fretless on "Rope Bridge", stunning)
[/quote]
Funnily enough we now work for a Belgium based company but we are in the UK!
He also played bass on a Joan Armatrading album and his own band which IIRC was called Happyhead.
As I say he now plays with Paul youngs c/w band...he normally plays bass still but in that vid he's playing acoustic guitar.