Why become a member? ×

Underrated Bass players

Lfalex v1.1

[quote name='thestick' timestamp='1317275114' post='1388844'] Trevor Bolder Uriah Heep!![/quote]

Gary Thain of Uriah Heep (my fave Heep bassist).

Also big +1 for the earlier mention of Jon Camp, and a mention for my personal fave Leigh Gorman of Bow Wow Wow. Listen to the bass part in Sexy Eiffel Towers.....

+ another for Colin Moulding from XTC and Mark Bedders. Dozens of great pop basslines between them. Dick Nolans playing with It Bites too.

Joe Puerta's playing with Bruce Hornsby and The Range. Some wonderfully inventive and tasteful playing.

My top pick, pop pickers? Sir Gentleman....aka Horace Panter. Maybe it's my age but favourite band with my favourite bassist.

T

Edited by tonyf

[quote name='4000' timestamp='1317288710' post='1388983']

Gary Thain of Uriah Heep (my fave Heep bassist).

Also big +1 for the earlier mention of Jon Camp, and a mention for [b]my personal fave Leigh Gorman of Bow Wow Wow[/b]. Listen to the bass part in Sexy Eiffel Towers.....
[/quote]
Great player! Great band.

Brian Robinson from A Wilhelm Scream is one of my favourite bass players at the moment. He always makes his stingray shine through with some super fast playing. I saw Face to Face at Leeds fest earlier this summer and their bass player Scott Shiflett (brother of Chris Shiflett of the Foo Fighters) completely blew me away. I'd forgotten how good he is. Karl Alvarex from The Descendents is also a great player. He gets a lot of stick, but Fat Mike from NOFX has influenced my own playing from a really early age.

Well for me, the two most under-rated and seldom-mentioned bass players (and among ones that inspired me to play bass in the first place - incidentally, both played for Paul Weller during his early solo period - Wild Wood/Stanley Road/Heavy Soul etc) - [b]Damon Minchella [/b]and[b] Yolanda Charles[/b]

Maybe chuck in [b]D'Arcy Wretzky [/b]and[b] Melissa Auf Der Maur[/b] from Smashing Pumpkins - don't often see them mentioned on here, and have laid down some solid rock basslines during their tenancy in arguably one of the biggest Alt/Rock outfits of the last twenty years - it's always the sodding guitards/frontmen/drummers who hog all the limelight :)

[b]Colin Greenwood[/b] from Radiohead also springs to mind - again with the guitards/frontmen :)

Ithankyou,
Ian

Edited by Bottle

Another guy i cannot believe that i forgot to mention, is Paolo Gregoletto of Trivium, That guy is one hell of a player, really quite technical too, watching some videos of Trivium Live at Chapman Studios and he's not even breaking a sweat with the stuff he's playing, he also works really well with the drummer Nick, those 2 make a really tight and defined rhythm section.

Liam

[quote name='Grant' timestamp='1317280510' post='1388874']
I'm really surprised at that. Brad and Satchel were Shawn's springboard, so to speak, so I thought they'd still be readily available. Try Amazon, and look out for "Shame", "Interiors" and "Welcome to Discovery Park" (all Brad), and "The Family" by Satchel, which features Mike Berg on bass. I had a copy of EDC by Satchel, but struggled with it. I thought it was a bit too "trippy". You might be able to hear them on Spotify too. Conversely, I can't seem to get hold of Shawn Smith's solo stuff... :)
Massive fan too, even the Pigeonhed album "The Full Sentence" is worth a look. "Battle Flag is fantastic. :)
[/quote]

I got and fell in love with 'Interiors' for a while but never got any Brad stuff beyond that. Might be time to round out the collection.

[quote name='Bottle' timestamp='1317296414' post='1389129']
Maybe chuck in [b]D'Arcy Wretzky [/b]and[b] Melissa Auf Der Maur[/b] from Smashing Pumpkins - don't often see them mentioned on here, and have laid down some solid rock basslines during their tenancy in arguably one of the biggest Alt/Rock outfits of the last twenty years - it's always the sodding guitards/frontmen/drummers who hog all the limelight :)
[/quote]

I'm sure I read somewhere that Billy Corgan recorded the basslines on the albums as he's a massive control freak.

[quote name='GarethFlatlands' timestamp='1317309989' post='1389349']

I'm sure I read somewhere that Billy Corgan recorded the basslines on the albums as he's a massive control freak.
[/quote]
Yes, I've heard that too - my understanding is that Corgan and Chamberlain were the driving force behind much of 'Mellon Collie' and that James Iha's rhythm guitar parts and D'Arcy's basslines were all done in a locked studio by just Corgan, and Chamberlain on drums. The rest of the band were just for the live tours.

In that case, add Billy 'No Mates' Corgan to the list of (Somewhat) forgotten bassists then :)

Ian

PS seems to be going out of his way to annoy just about everyone - typical bassist hehehehe

Edited by Bottle