Why become a member? ×

Underrated Bass players

Lfalex v1.1

[quote name='Shaggy' timestamp='1317323956' post='1389558']
+1 great rock bassist, always mixed too low on recordings
+1 also (haven't figured how to multiquote...) to Andy Rourke (Smiths) and Derek Forbes (Simple Minds) - absolutely key to the sound of two of my favourite bands

Mine;
Barry Adamson (ex Magazine, Bad Seeds); in my top three of any list - such an effortlessly simple great sound and groove
Andy Pask (Landscape) - shame about the dire "Einstein a Go-go" as they were a great quirky jazz-rock outfit, saw them at Eric's in Liverpool 1980 - inspired me to change to fretless
Bassist with "Roxy Music" Manifesto-era; John Gustafason?
Tina Weymouth (Talking Heads) - no virtuoso, but solid & funky
[/quote]

Good call on Barry -- Manifesto era Roxy would be Alan Spenner Gusto did the 3 Albums before both great players.

I will add Colin Hodgkinson & Carles Benavent (I think Bilbo mentioned him but worth another shout)

Edited by Sonic_Groove

[quote name='clarkpegasus4001' timestamp='1317315063' post='1389423']

+2.....MT is a friend of mine. He borrowed my bass for his album Argus Through The looking Glass - Martin Turner's Wishbone Ash.
[/quote]
I'm hardly jealous at all :)

I saw MTWA in Glasgow a couple of years ago ... they were fantastic. MT's bass is as much a part of the classic Wishbone Ash sound as the twin guitars.

Jimmy Bain - Rainbow
Jack Bruce - didn't see him mentioned ?
+1 for Roger Glover - incredible all round talent
Steve Harris - Iron Maiden - not a fan of the band but have to admire Steve's bass playing and stamina.
Colin Bass - Camel
Dick Cadbury - Steve Hackett
Gary Strater (RIP) - Starcastle

Great thread - thanks
Dave

Yeah deffo Larry Taylor, was doing session work for 50s big names like Neil Sedaka while he was still at school, played with Jerry Lee as well I think.

Thats who I listened to when I started playing, Plus;
Trevor Burton,
Rod Clements,
John Ford

And

Graham Maby,
Johnny B Sparkes, Much better than most people realise till they try and get the same feel...

I bet myself a quid no one would mention Harvey Brooks. And I won.

Electric Flag, Bob Dylan's "Like A Rolling Stone" & "Highway 61 Revisited", Bloomfield/Kooper/Stills/ Super Session, Miles Davis "Bitches Brew", The Doors "Soft Parade". How do you play on that lot and remain almost compeletely unknown, even to bassists?

A few of mine: -[list]
[*]Marco Nelson - He played on the Young Disciples' Road To Freedom album (Apparently Nothin' was the big hit) & most of Paul Weller's Wild Wood - lovely rounded boomy tone. Not sure he's done anything for a while.
[*]Chris Hillman (The Byrds) - Some amazing lines going on under all the jangle.
[*]Billy 'Bass' Nelson - Played with George Clinton early on & apparently came up with the word 'Funkadelic'!
[*]Bill Laswell - More known as a producer, but a really solid dubby bassist
[/list]
B.

[quote name='MoonBassAlpha' timestamp='1317297187' post='1389145']

Richard Sinclair - Hatfield and the North, Camel

Roger Glover -no mention yet? Cripes
[/quote]

Although Richard S was a much more up-front player, I really love Doug Ferguson's playing on Moonmadness (my favourite album, along with Floyd's WYWH). Andy Latimer has since admitted they underestimated how important he was to the sound of the band and that he regrets losing him.

Rog was a big early influence of mine.

[quote name='matski' timestamp='1317558203' post='1391728']
Has anyone mentioned Rob (The Bass Thing) Jones from The Wonder Stuff?
[/quote]

Nice choice!

I'm liking Mark McCarthy's take on Rob's basslines. I can't wait to see The Wonder Stuff play Never Loved Elvis in December.