Why become a member? ×

Way Down ... disappointment of the year

Happy Jack

• 3 years later...

Sorry to re hash an old thread, I stumbled on it while looking for something else Jerry Scheff related.

I have read the book and found it thoroughly enjoyable and funny. Particularly some of his early Jazz gigs he mentions. And getting his lips stuck to a frozen mouthpiece. I would have liked more info on his bass guitars for sure, it didn't disappoint. It's possibly like Guys Pratt's book (which I'm yet to read properly) a collection of funny and amusing stories that have happened on his musical journey.

In the mean time, I'm transcribing some of Jerry's Live Elvis bass lines.

I recently reviewed a book on the history of Yes. It was a really good read (for a Yes fan). It was written in a timeline format with interviews, clippings and stuff interspersed along the way. The author also introduced each decade of the band's career with a couple of pages of editorial and scattered his own reviews through the timeline. Funny thing was, though, while I really enjoyed the book I disagrees with every word the author had to say. His views on every album and song were 180 degrees opposed to mine...

Pinnacle of the band's artistic and musical achievements? Tales from Topographic Oceans. Every second is pure listening gold. Me - Er, no.
Best two tracks on Tormato? Me - The two that I always skip when listening to it because they are so twee sugary and saccharine that I can feel them stripping the enamel off my teeth while I listen.
90125? Rubbish, not a decent song on there and the production is crap. Me - What?
Trevor Rabin can't write good songs, can barely play guitar and his singing... Yuck. Me - I don't think so.
Close To The Edge? Well it's ok but no TfTO and there's at least one very sub par song on there (there are only 3 songs). Me - ??!?!?!!!??????? What???!?!?
First Asia album... Just a few lightweight pop songs with bad singing (John Wetton) and crap drumming (Carl Palmer). Sold shed loads so it must be crap. Me - Erm, but I think every song on that album is a solid gold rock, pop, prog fusion. Love it.

The strange thing was that my frustration and astonishment at his opinions didn't reduce my enjoyment of the book at all. Still a cracking read. Total rock and roll soap story...

Edited by TrevorR

[quote name='wateroftyne' timestamp='1460147778' post='3023165']
I really liked this book. It's not a book about being a bass player cos, well, no-one would buy it.
[/quote]

Exactly, too many bassists assume that when a bass player writes a book or gives an interview it should be about basses, gear, technique etc.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

I made my peace with Jerry a long time ago. He's a genuinely lovely guy, and we had a few very constructive email exchanges about my comments, then Silvie (bluejay) and I went up and met him a couple of times when he was playing the rock'n'roll Mecca that is ... erm ... Stourbridge.

In fairness, my problem was always with the description of the book on the cover, which implied that the book was going to be about playing bass with Elvis, The Doors and Bob Dylan. It wasn't. I still reckon Jerry has another book inside him. :ph34r:

[quote name='Happy Jack' timestamp='1460190225' post='3023342']
:lol: :lol: :lol:

In fairness, my problem was always with the description of the book on the cover, which implied that the book was going to be about playing bass with Elvis, The Doors and Bob Dylan. It wasn't. I still reckon Jerry has another book inside him. :ph34r:
[/quote]

Yeh, but imagine a book by a celebrity chauffeur who drives movie stars, politicuans etc that centred on the cars, druving etc?

[quote name='Beedster' timestamp='1460190492' post='3023345']
Yeh, but imagine a book by a celebrity chauffeur who drives movie stars, politicuans etc that centred on the cars, druving etc?
[/quote]

OK, imagine that book by that driver, only it doesn't actually centre on the cars and the driving ... it centres on the car he learned to drive in, and the driving instructor, and the different types of cars that existed when he was a teenager, and the amount he was drinking while driving celebrities around.

The only reason that you know he was actually the actual guy who drove Les Dawson to his epochal meeting with Ronald Reagan is because you read about it somewhere else ...

[quote name='Happy Jack' timestamp='1460192294' post='3023358']

OK, imagine that book by that driver, only it doesn't actually centre on the cars and the driving ... it centres on the car he learned to drive in, and the driving instructor, and the different types of cars that existed when he was a teenager, and the amount he was drinking while driving celebrities around.

The only reason that you know he was actually the actual guy who drove Les Dawson to his epochal meeting with Ronald Reagan is because you read about it somewhere else ...
[/quote]

Ha ha, fair enough Jack :)