Why become a member? ×

Views on Musitronics Mu-tron III

Bo0tsy

[size=3][color=#000000][font=Calibri]I’ve been getting serious GAS about an original Musitronics Mu-tron III, but, are they really as good as their ‘legendary’ reputation? [/font][/color][/size]

[size=3][color=#000000][font=Calibri]Firstly, they are soooo expensive. Are they really worth all that money? (those currently listed on eBay start from £400+ !!)[/font][/color][/size]

[size=3][color=#000000][font=Calibri]How do they compare with other ‘Mu-tron clone’ pedals such as the Haz Labs Mu-tron III+ or the Q-Tron+ (which are obviously a lot cheaper)? [size=3][color=#000000][font=Calibri]I have a Chunk Systems Agent 00Funk II which is a very funky & wet sounding filter, but, so far I’ve not been able to get it to sound anything like the Mu-tron III.[/font][/color][/size][/font][/color][/size]

[size=3][color=#000000][font=Calibri]Are there common realiability problems with a Mu-Tron? I’ve also heard there are issues with volume spikes?[/font][/color][/size]

[size=3][color=#000000][font=Calibri]Anyone out there who’s got one or played one and able to give their thoughts (positive or negative) on these vintage pedals? [/font][/color][/size]
[size=3][color=#000000][font=Calibri]Thanks![/font][/color][/size]

Save your money, and get one of the modern clones. As long as it uses the same circuit + similar photocells, it will sound more or less the same as the Mutron III. Due to component drift and aging, each 'real-deal' Mutron III can sound different to other Mutron IIIs anyway.

AFAIK the Haz Labs version doesn't use photocells for the varying resistive element, so personally I would not buy one of those myself.

Last time I played around with envelope filters the Qtron / Qtron+ sounded pretty 'original' to my ears and seem to work better live, but I think there's other options available these days (from 3-Leaf audio for example), haven't tried those though.

If you do get an original, chances are you can move it on the around the same price anyway as long as it's working ok, so no harm done if you can afford the cash now and don't want to keep it. :)

I have an Original Mutron III, and to be honest, yes, it is THAT sound. I haven't heard anything else do it quite like the Mutron, but there are a number of pedals out there than can come pretty close. My personal recommendation would be the Subdecay Prometheus, or Maxon AF-9 as I have experience with them, but I've heard great stuff about the 3Leaf Proton.

I used to own the EHX Q-Tron, and while it is a pretty cool pedal I think there is better out there. The HAZ reissue is a good pedal in it's own right, but to my ears, it just aint a Mutron! I used to have the 00funkmk2 also, and I sold it once I got the Mutron (nothing to do with the Mutron, I just wasn't too keen on the Chunk unit).

Thank you for both views.

I have to admit I've listened to some Mu-tron III demo's on You-Tube and I have all the Parliament, Bootsy's Rubber Band stuff where Bootsy was heavily using the Mu-tron III and I've yet to find a sound like it.

I can get some nice quack out of my micro Q-Tron and I love the squelchiness of the Chunk 00Funk Mk II, but neither are the same as the Mu-tron. (The 3 Leaf Proton sounds promising though and the website seems to suggest that it can replicate that Mu-tron III sound??)

But in conclusion I've still got GAS for a Mu-Tron III - damn!

I went through the exact same thing as you and in the end only calmed my desire by actually getting one! They are great pedals and no other filter sounds like them and believe me I have tried them all apart from the 3 Leaf stuff. However, they do take a bit of work to get that sound just right and it really changes between basses too so if you use more than one it can be an issue. They are also large and heavy and take up loads of space on a pedal board too.

I am beginning to think that they are a great studio effect but maybe not the thing for live use?

I have found the Aguilar Filter Twin to be a great pedal and much better than others that you have mentioned. It is funny though how one works for one and not another, Higgie loves the Subdecay Prometheus and Maxon AF9 but I could not get on with either of them!

I think I am just Filter junkie though, cos I also have a Filter Twin, DOD FX25, Subdecay Proteus, Boss FT-2 (really great filter actually, surprised me!!) as well as the Prometheus and Mutron. Lol!

I've had the Mutron for years and I've never gigged it. I think you hit the nail on the head, it's very sensitive to different basses, the bypass is terrible, and its huge, so it's really best kept for studio use really. The Aggie Filter Twin is currently on my 2nd board so if I do need a filter...That's the one thats coming to the gig!

I'v had an AF-9 for ages, and only recently have I got it really working right, its a very tricky customer to really nail the set up of IME. Largely because the sensitivity setting is utterly key, and its this sensitivity to input level that makes it such a great filter when you finally crack it IMO.

Mind you I've never played an original Mutron III so I could be missign on some GAS here already, best bug out of this thread because that kind of GAS I really don't need in my life right now!

Sadly my knowledge of electronics is somewhat lacking, so I have absolutely no chance of building my own Mu-tron III clone. :(

I'm now waivering somewhere between an original Mu-tron III and the 3Leaf Proton. I've been reading up a lot on the Proton and have seen nothing but glowing reviews for it, with most saying that it is a close to a Mu-tron III as you can get with a modern envelope filter. Some of the clips on You-Tube [i]almost[/i] have me sold and they're a third of the cost.

MuTron III vs Proton? ... i would go for the Proton by [url="http://www.3leafaudio.com/"]3Leaf Audio[/url], there is a new version of the Proton (new: decay knob). The 3Leaf [url="http://www.3leafaudio.com/products/wonderlove-envelope-filter/"]"Wonderlove"[/url] looks also very interesting, but 269 U$. :-(

i bought and sold many envelope filters, one of the best i have is the "old" Groove Regulator", but now out of production as far as i know.

I currently own both the Wonderlove and the GR1 and on my first impressions i still prefer the sound of the GR. The Wonderlove seems to have a very high (in a sense of tone) effect, the GR can be phatter and "wetter". I'm really thinking about selling the Wonderlove and getting a GR2. I'll give it another week of trials and then decide.