Why become a member? ×

A new (or old) amp

nomis

Hello BC

At the moment I have an Orange AD200mk3 which I love!

When gigging its great sounds amazing at loud volumes.

Problem comes when i am at a rehearsal or at a quieter venue. When i turn it down it just looses everything and sounds naff! it seems to lose all the warmth and low - mid range.

I am running it through a orange 4x10.

Is the problem that the cab needs more of a kick to get it going or is the amp just not great at low volumes? or a mixture of both?

I would like for my amp to sound great at low and high volumes.

Any suggestions?

I cant really afford to buy a new amp just for rehearsals so if i have to i will be looking to swap/sell what I need to to get it right.

I have had a SS ampeg in the past and that was nice but I love the tube warmth!

I need help! What can i do?

Others may disagree, but in my opinion, valve amps have a sweet spot where the volume is just right for the valves to distort nicely, but not too much, the output transformer to saturate, but not too much and where the speakers distort, but again, not too much and that sound just can't be beaten. Unfortunately, when you have to turn down it all goes and it becomes a bit of a struggle to play because 'the sound' is just not there. I've found that adding a Behringer BD121 before the amp can compensate for the lower volume. It will never be as good as that WOW moment but it can come a close second and at a little over £20, is a cheap alternative to buying a new amp and you still have that sound when you can play loud enough.

[quote name='bertbass' timestamp='1348764809' post='1817918']
Others may disagree, but in my opinion, valve amps have a sweet spot where the volume is just right for the valves to distort nicely, but not too much, the output transformer to saturate, but not too much and where the speakers distort, but again, not too much and that sound just can't be beaten. Unfortunately, when you have to turn down it all goes and it becomes a bit of a struggle to play because 'the sound' is just not there. I've found that adding a Behringer BD121 before the amp can compensate for the lower volume. It will never be as good as that WOW moment but it can come a close second and at a little over £20, is a cheap alternative to buying a new amp and you still have that sound when you can play loud enough.
[/quote]

output transformer distortion sounds pretty bad, unless your into synths. Totally don't recomend a power break on a 150watt head either.

Use less speaker or less valves.

You can pull two of the valves out and use it on twice the load :)

Don't forget - Louder is better when it comes to perceived sound awesomeness . . . within reason of course.

I've heard a certain Mr. Katz say* that even experienced sets of ears will pick poorer quality mixes if they're played louder - You really do need to listen at the same volume (percieved not peak) to really compare two recordings or, indeed, rigs.

AFAIK anyway, I'm no expert. This* is interesting for those who haven't watched it: http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=endscreen&NR=1&v=XCd6MHlo_iA

Edited by PlungerModerno

[quote name='bertbass' timestamp='1348782493' post='1818301']
This is quite interesting as well. [url="http://www.guitarplayer.com/article/smooth-your-sonic-ride/5505"]http://www.guitarpla...sonic-ride/5505[/url]
[/quote]

Thats a load of nonsense, they've totally missed the point in adding a snubber network aswell.

[quote name='Truckstop' timestamp='1348775563' post='1818140']
You need to buy a power brake (I think they're called).
Basically, you plug it in and it does some stuff to the power stage of your amp and you get wonderful driven sounds at low volumes.

Truckstop
[/quote]

Yes, these work great. Enables you t push the amp, but keep the volume under control. A mate of mine uses one on his Marshall stack. Gets the best overdriven sound I`ve ever heard - through the clean channel. I asked him how, and he said he pushes the amp with everything on full, then pulls back the volume with the power-brake.