Why become a member? ×

best place to purchase MIM

Super_Mario_Bass

[quote name='jono b' post='191719' date='May 4 2008, 06:06 PM']The Basschat Marketplace? Or ebay. I got mine for £200 posted, with a flightcase too.[/quote]

Hmm. Do either of those suggestions include places to buy them new? That's what the post was asking (and I'm interested too...) :-)

I'd go for Reidys as well, I think they are presently the cheapest UK retailer for this item.

I recently got all the parts for a new MIM Jazz from Ebay in the US for just over £200......took a couple of months though.

One piece of advice. Bin the pickups as soon as you can.

[quote name='Leowasright' post='192961' date='May 6 2008, 03:01 PM']I'd go for Reidys as well, I think they are presently the cheapest UK retailer for this item.

I recently got all the parts for a new MIM Jazz from Ebay in the US for just over £200......took a couple of months though.

One piece of advice. Bin the pickups as soon as you can.[/quote]

I bought an almost mint 2002 MIM precision for £170 off ebay the other day - it was listed as a precision "base" - only 2 bids :)

check this out [url="http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Fender-Jazz-Bass-5-String-MIM-Cobalt-Blue-2000_W0QQitemZ180239683803QQihZ008QQcategoryZ4713QQrdZ1QQssPageNameZWD2VQQcmdZViewItemQQ_trksidZp1638Q2em122"]MIM Jazz[/url] Only one small problem though it's a 5 string :)

check this out [url="http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Fender-Jazz-Bass-5-String-MIM-Cobalt-Blue-2000_W0QQitemZ180239683803QQihZ008QQcategoryZ4713QQrdZ1QQssPageNameZWD2VQQcmdZViewItemQQ_trksidZp1638Q2em122"]MIM Jazz[/url] Only one small problem though it's a 5 string And you will have to import it from the states too :)

Edited by Wooks

[quote name='Maine' post='191926' date='May 4 2008, 11:28 PM']Hmm. Do either of those suggestions include places to buy them new? That's what the post was asking (and I'm interested too...) :-)[/quote]

Actually he said he'd been checking out the second hand market but would be willing to buy new, so he didn't actually specify. I see no need to buy new, especially with MIM stuff. By buying it you cut the resale value down to about £200 for a stock bass anyway, and you can get some decent stuff second hand. You run a bit of a risk by buying from the likes of ebay if you can't try it first, but there's just the same chance that the shop will send out a pig of an instrument that occasionally slip through Fender's QC. My Jazz was bought new, and my P was second hand and half the price of the the Jazz. I did have to clean it and set it up but that's worth it to save £150 on a new bass.
And if you really need to buy a new bass, you can get new ones on ebay.

Slightly off topic I know but has anyone been made aware of fake "Fenders" off ebay?

A guitarist mate bought an new "Epiphone" Les Paul at a suspiciously good price off that site and it was actually a really nice guitar. Until he found out it was a fake.

not sure about the colours your best bet is ringing them up and asking, i know they do a candy apple red but thats on the deluxe active model and there about £588 which is a fair bit dearer than the standard model, i quite like the artic white jazzbut then its you thats buying it, not me.
keep us posted to what you eventually buy.
you cant go wrong with reidys.