Why become a member? ×

Fretless Squier Bullet build

neepheid

Some of you may recall me putting the feelers out for a beat up old bass body, and I managed to get my hands on one. It's not quite a P-bass, I was told it was a Squier Bullet bass (thankfully not the short scale version), but in any case it'll do the job.

I'm going to pair it with a Mighty Mite ebonal fretless Precision neck, probably stick a Badass II on it and use Schaller BMFLs again. Dunno about pups yet.

So, to sanding!

That's 1 hour's work. This is going to take a while.

Anyway, the whole point of this otherwise completely unremarkable and somewhat straightforward project is that my sister is going to decorate the bass. A graduate of Gray's School of Art in Aberdeen, she jumped at the chance to collaborate on this project. Some examples of her work:

I wonder what she'll come up with. Whatever it is, I fancy a repeat of the design on the headstock as well for good measure :)

As ever, will keep you up to date on developments.

Nice one man,

removing the finnish is a bitch. You have not got to the horns so you dont know the half of it yet.

:)

It is rewarding so keep at it. One word of warning, if you are tired give up for the day. You will do more damage than good.

My GF is at grays :huh: look like the finnish is gonna awesome

G

[quote name='slaphappygarry' post='20118' date='Jun 19 2007, 12:31 PM']Nice one man,

removing the finnish is a bitch. You have not got to the horns so you dont know the half of it yet.

:)

It is rewarding so keep at it. One word of warning, if you are tired give up for the day. You will do more damage than good.

My GF is at grays :huh: look like the finnish is gonna awesome

G[/quote]

It's efficiency, not laziness that makes me think "isn't there an easier way of doing this?" :huh: That little bit was using 80 grit paper! I wonder if you get courser stuff for the Mouse.

Nitromors? Hot air gun? Anyone got any other suggestions?

I'm going to meet with my sister soon to discuss ideas.

What year is your gf in?

Sanding off the finish seems to be the way to go. That way you don't need to worry about the old finish reacting unfavourably with whatever chemical stripper you decide to try. I've got a bass I'm stripping down at the moment and you just have to stick with it and be prepared to spend so time removing the finish even with power assistance. From what I can remember of Garry's thread on BW he used sand paper wrapped around dowling? to get in the cutaways? How was the sand paper attached? Any point in trying to make something to go on a drill? or is that asking for trouble?

I'll be posting my own refinish in a new thread once I'm sure I'm not going to mess it up too badly rather than hi-jacking others...

[quote name='neepheid' post='20131' date='Jun 19 2007, 12:50 PM']It's efficiency, not laziness that makes me think "isn't there an easier way of doing this?" :) That little bit was using 80 grit paper! I wonder if you get courser stuff for the Mouse.

Nitromors? Hot air gun? Anyone got any other suggestions?

I'm going to meet with my sister soon to discuss ideas.

What year is your gf in?[/quote]

it's probably better to do it with 60 grit first, then as the paint thins go up to 80. using 40 tends to give you massive scratches in the paint so it's not such a good idea really.

Well what a difference half a day makes! The neck arrived from the USA and after sanding a little bit of the old finish that had crept into the neck pocket it fits snugly. A quick dose of paranoia with the tape measure to confirm 34" scale :)

I've also managed to secure the use of a work area - a small workshop at work with a bench, a vice and power. It's all I need at this stage, and it means I can grab a few hours whenever I like out of hours as long as I "don't have an accident" :huh:

I've found a substance that makes sanding easier. It's called Glenmorangie :)

Also, I can see why a solid finish was applied to this body. She may be solid, but she isn't exactly attractive.

Edited by neepheid

[quote name='binky_bass' post='26301' date='Jul 2 2007, 11:52 PM']you ever thought about using nitromorse? its a paint stripper that 100% harmless to woods. i used it a couple of times to get thick layers of lacker and paint off bodies. makes sanding sooo much easier![/quote]

Thought about it, but until recently I didn't have anywhere safe to use such foul chemicals. Besides, there are conflicting opinions about it's harmlessness to wood, and leathering the hell out of paint/lacquer is rather theraputic :)

If I do another one then I might experiment with the stuff and see how it performs.

[quote name='neepheid' post='19981' date='Jun 18 2007, 11:59 PM']Some of you may recall me putting the feelers out for a beat up old bass body, and I managed to get my hands on one. It's not quite a P-bass, I was told it was a Squier Bullet bass (thankfully not the short scale version), but in any case it'll do the job.

I'm going to pair it with a Mighty Mite ebonal fretless Precision neck, probably stick a Badass II on it and use Schaller BMFLs again. Dunno about pups yet.

So, to sanding!

That's 1 hour's work. This is going to take a while.

Anyway, the whole point of this otherwise completely unremarkable and somewhat straightforward project is that my sister is going to decorate the bass. A graduate of Gray's School of Art in Aberdeen, she jumped at the chance to collaborate on this project. Some examples of her work:

I wonder what she'll come up with. Whatever it is, I fancy a repeat of the design on the headstock as well for good measure :)

As ever, will keep you up to date on developments.[/quote]
Did the same as many years ago. A long job isn't it! I ended up just sanding down. The bright yellow sandpaper found selling in rolled lengths about 4" wide is rough but effective. 3M paper lasts pretty good. A friend gave me some Canadian made sandpaper once which lasted ages. Maybe a light wood veneer on the front might finish it off nicely.

[quote name='mybass' post='27900' date='Jul 6 2007, 01:36 PM']Maybe a light wood veneer on the front might finish it off nicely.[/quote]

I may play with that in the future, but for now this ugly duckling is being primed white and my sis is being let loose on it. Showing her the "canvas" tonight, and hopefully we'll get some ideas bouncing.

Thats alot of rubbing down, You should go for nitromorse, great stuff just watch yee dinna burn yer skin! :)

i've got a ricky style body you couldve bought for your project but i might do something with it myself, if i can be bothered. How much would your sister charge for a paint job? oo eer! :huh: Or is she just dong it cause it's you?

[quote name='16Again' post='29781' date='Jul 10 2007, 02:46 PM']Thats alot of rubbing down, You should go for nitromorse, great stuff just watch yee dinna burn yer skin! :)[/quote]

I might give that a go in future, there's been a few nods in that direction.

[quote name='16Again' post='29781' date='Jul 10 2007, 02:46 PM']i've got a ricky style body you couldve bought for your project but i might do something with it myself, if i can be bothered. How much would your sister charge for a paint job? oo eer! :huh: Or is she just dong it cause it's you?[/quote]

Well, we'll see how this one goes before seeing if we want to do any more :huh:

• 2 weeks later...

Small update to say that the body is now sanded all over at 80 grit.

Also discovered that the holes in the neck pocket do not match a standard Fender/Squier neckplate. Either the Bullets were weird or I've been had. Either way, I think I'll eschew the use of a neck plate in favour of recessed bushings a la [url="http://allparts.uk.com/catalogue/product_info.php?products_id=10520&ALLPAR=3e70f065858de564bf65e6e7de3e0b42"]http://allparts.uk.com/catalogue/product_i...f65e6e7de3e0b42[/url]

Design decisions taken so far:

Neck: Mighty Mite Precision ebonal fretless
Bridge: Badass II (chrome)
Pickups: EMG P active
Tuners: Schaller BMFL (chrome)
Misc hardware: chrome

My sister thinks that a dark finish would look best. Am waiting for her thoughts on which scratchplate to go for before placing a wee Allparts order for all the miscellaneous bits and bobs (neck screws, bushings, string tree, strap buttons etc.)

Had a thought about scratchplates, in that they cover up vast swathes of the body. Seeing as this is a project as much about showing off my sister's artistic talent as it is providing me with a fretless bass, it seems that there's won't be a lot of space to show off. Coupled with a badass 2, here's the space available with a scratchplate:

However, I spied on Allparts a metal control cavity cover and pickup surround. A little GIMP jiggery-pokery and it might look something like this:

Of course, I'll have to cover the channel cut between the pickup and the control cavity, but it won't be noticed with a solid finish:

What do you think? Anyone used these parts before? Comfy pants or thong?

Edited by neepheid

• 2 weeks later...

The other option to consider is a clear scratchplate, but it's a job finding them.

I've been neglecting the project of late, mainly because my gf is moving in with me, so we're trying to tackle boxland at the moment. However, one piece of the puzzle arrived the other day:

I don't think I appreciated just how big these bad boys are until I put it on the body. BADASS.

Another sanding session in the workshop and that's the body sanded 180 > 240 > 400 > 600 grit. There's still some slight remnants of dings on the back that haven't quite sanded out, so I'll need to do a bit of filling before I prime the body white. No point in taking any pics, it doesn't look remarkably different, but by god it feels different :)

Oh, and found that I could get a clear scratchplate at WD Music, so that's an option. I am under no illusion about the fact that the existing screwholes won't match up, but I hope the actual shape of it fits OK.

Edited by neepheid