Why become a member? ×

Anybody play cajon? I fancy a go...

solo4652

Hi folks,

I'm interested in trying my hand(s) at Cajon, with a view to acoustic sessions alongside our singer and lead guitarist. I'd welcome any advice on:

What's a good make to look for?
What's a good material? (I've seen some advertised made of MDF!?)
Any particular features to look for - padded seat? well-rounded edges and corners? adjustable snares?

Let's say there is £120 available. Which would you buy?

Cheers,

Steve

[quote name='Romberg Bevel' timestamp='1348584778' post='1815549']
I got a De Gregorio 'Bravo' model which is great. I originally had my eye on something else but went and checked a few out at a drum shop, and I liked this one the best.
[/quote]
our band has one too they are very good - have you tried micing yours? i suggested try it with some piezos - might be interesting :)

[quote name='steve-bbb' timestamp='1348584965' post='1815553']
our band has one too they are very good - have you tried micing yours? i suggested try it with some piezos - might be interesting :)
[/quote]

I've not been in a situation where I've had to use a mic with it. If I did I'd probably go for a more orthodox approach :)

If you fancy building one there's some plans posted by some of the guys in a thread I started in the other instruments section. The builds are easy enough, Im working on my forth at the moment.

When it comes to playing I reckon the secret is to not over complicate things. I use one at acoustic sessions and usually try to play basic patterns which mimic the baseline.

Edited by Mog

[quote name='Mog' timestamp='1348620847' post='1816180']
If you fancy building one there's some plans posted by some of the guys in a thread I started in the other instruments section. The builds are easy enough, Im working on my forth at the moment.

When it comes to playing I reckon the secret is to not over complicate things. I use one at acoustic sessions and usually try to play basic patterns which mimic the baseline.
[/quote]

I'd entirely missed the Other Instruments section - dooh.

I can borrow a cajon for the next couple of weeks, so I'm going to do that just to see how I feel with it. Looking forward to it. Better forewarn the neighbours.

Steve

[quote name='SteveO' timestamp='1348675252' post='1816808']
self built here too. It really is easy and cheap - about a tenner for the bits and that included the snare. lots of plans on the web.
[/quote]

Build?! Make?! From scratch? Sorry, I'm not with you.

For me, DIY = Destroy It Yourself.

First go with cajon last night at rehearsal. Two guitars, two singers, all going through the PA. They referred to it as an "acoustic" session. Me and the cajon were not miced. I think the cajon was a fairly cheap one. It lives in the rehearsal room.
I watched a few videos beforehand just to get the basics sort of right. I have to say I was a bit underwhelmed. The snare sound was OK but the "bass" sound was thin and indistinct to my ears. Of course, it was my first ever go so my technique was awful, but I'm left wondering if a decent, deep-ish bass tone is possible with a cajon. I came across an "extra large" cajon on the web that was supposed to give a deeper/richer bass tone by virtue of its size. Can this be true? Or am I expecting too much from a box with a hole?

Enjoyed it anyway. Made a nice change to root, 3rd, 5th.

Steve

[quote name='pietruszka' timestamp='1348674335' post='1816794']
Our drummer uses one, and another friend plays them often. Great little things and apparently sound best when mic'd with an SM58.

Have a play with a few and what you like best, from what I've seen they start from about £70 and go way upwards, so you should have plenty of choice.

Dan
[/quote]

What you need to do, is put it at an angle so that it isn't pointing straight into the hole then you can get a nicer sound without the air going straight onto the mic (like blowing)
Hard to explain, but hopefully makes sense.

Of course, really you want two mics, one at the back one at the front.

[quote name='Blademan_98' timestamp='1348863417' post='1819378']
You advanced bass players :)

I have played a cajon at a few jam nights. Quite good fun if you take them in the spirit they are made in!
[/quote]

First time ever I've been referred to as an "advanced player"!

Just bought this: [url="http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Cajon-Cajon-Sonor-Cajon-Grande-Pro-Range-Cajon-Drum-Free-Sonor-Cajon-Bag-NEW-/180962800039?pt=UK_Musical_Instruments_Drums_Percussions_MJ&hash=item2a223931a7&nma=true&si=nu7zue8rrkLZqNy2QWnkuVYy4JA%3D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557"]http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Cajon-Cajon-Sonor-Cajon-Grande-Pro-Range-Cajon-Drum-Free-Sonor-Cajon-Bag-NEW-/180962800039?pt=UK_Musical_Instruments_Drums_Percussions_MJ&hash=item2a223931a7&nma=true&si=nu7zue8rrkLZqNy2QWnkuVYy4JA%3D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557[/url]

[quote name='gapiro' timestamp='1348873644' post='1819493']

What you need to do, is put it at an angle so that it isn't pointing straight into the hole then you can get a nicer sound without the air going straight onto the mic (like blowing)
Hard to explain, but hopefully makes sense.

Of course, really you want two mics, one at the back one at the front.
[/quote]
Brilliant! I'll be recording in the next couple of weeks, ill give that a shot. A good friend who plays cajon a lot has had good results from putting the mic inside, but if this gets better results!
I'll post the recorded piece up when it's done.

Dan

[quote name='solo4652' timestamp='1348904529' post='1819570']

First time ever I've been referred to as an "advanced player"!

Just bought this: [url="http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Cajon-Cajon-Sonor-Cajon-Grande-Pro-Range-Cajon-Drum-Free-Sonor-Cajon-Bag-NEW-/180962800039?pt=UK_Musical_Instruments_Drums_Percussions_MJ&hash=item2a223931a7&nma=true&si=nu7zue8rrkLZqNy2QWnkuVYy4JA%3D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557"]http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Cajon-Cajon-Sonor-Cajon-Grande-Pro-Range-Cajon-Drum-Free-Sonor-Cajon-Bag-NEW-/180962800039?pt=UK_Musical_Instruments_Drums_Percussions_MJ&hash=item2a223931a7&nma=true&si=nu7zue8rrkLZqNy2QWnkuVYy4JA%3D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557[/url]
[/quote]

Ah I stick with root so you are very advanced :)

That looks like a nice cajon. I am even tempted to get one myself!

[quote name='pietruszka' timestamp='1348904871' post='1819574']
Brilliant! I'll be recording in the next couple of weeks, ill give that a shot. A good friend who plays cajon a lot has had good results from putting the mic inside, but if this gets better results!
I'll post the recorded piece up when it's done.

Dan
[/quote]

Yes please - it'll be interesting to hear how it turns out. I always think of this: [media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-L4aeowB_YE[/media]

with BC's own jakebrown fella on bass.

Edited by solo4652