Why become a member? ×

Converting a right-hander to left

AndyBass

I was wondering if anyone had any experience of having a luthier convert a bass from right to left-handed? And if so any idea of costs? I'm thinking this would affect the bass bar, sound post, nut and bridge (if you did it completely and didn't just switch the bridge and nut).

My situation is that I have my beloved Strunal 50/4 lefty but its strung with Golden Slaps, which are great but I'm playing less rockabilly now and they don't have as much volume and don't bow as easily as other strings (I now play mainly bluegrass and am working thorugh grades as well, so volume and bowing are key).

I'm thinking the solution is get a battered old bass, convert it and string it with the slaps for my rockabilly stuff, and get some steels of some kind on the Strunal where resonance, volume etc are more important.

Any thoughts welcome, even if its just "that's a bad idea because...".

As you stated, unlike an electric instrument where you basically (pun intended) just change the nut out, readjust the bridge saddles, and go, a double bass has a bass bar and a sound post. In a conventional right handed instrument, the bass bar is roughly under the E string and the soundpost is near the bridge on the G string side, or just below it (oversimplification, but bear with me for purposes of this thread). When you switch to a left-handed instrument, these have to be swapped for the bass to have the appropriate tone and resonance, as well as structural stability. This involves taking off the top, shaving off the (usually) glued on bass bar and rebuilding the inside of the top in left-handed orientation. This can be expensive.

I'd just change strings to something more of what you're playing now.

I picked my bass up today, so, after sorting my bits out, asked about such a conversion and the look of horror/astonishment was a sight to behold. After a brief explanation of how most classical lefties learn to play rightie, I think the (inferred) final answer on cost was - Beyond economic reasonableness.

On another note... What rockabilly/bluegrass bands do you play for?

[quote name='invicta59' timestamp='1348774301' post='1818119']
After a brief explanation of how most classical lefties learn to play rightie
[/quote]What was the reason that he gave?

I've heard this said also . But I've also heard classical players bemoan the fact that pop music is all about image first , then find that their employers won't hire a leftie , because of the look in an orchestra , with the symmetry - seems the same image first attitude with them too .

[quote name='E sharp' timestamp='1348776468' post='1818153']
What was the reason that he gave?
[/quote]

Pretty much saying that, in classical music (and forgive my ignorance if it's incorrect, but I care not a jot for it, so don't know myself) there are no teaching methods for left handed playing, and that any left handed player of any instrument just has to learn to do it the "right" way. Apparently there is no such thing as a left handed violin either....

From my own experience, I'm a leftie, but I play rightie because when I was a nipper and my parents bought me a guitar they bought a conventional one... if I had complained I could be certain that I would have been given something to complain about - i.e. a clip around the ear from my dad, so I went with it for the sake of my health - it worked for me!

Invicta59 - I've just seen that you're in The Slingshots! Sheffield legends. I think you know Chip (Mercurys, Radiacs, etc)? I used to be in a band with him, think I've seen you crop up on his Facebook.

Interested to know which luthier you go to, I only know one round Sheffield. I spoke to Geoff in Ecclesfield who's done my setups in the past and he gave me a really detailed quote. Obviously, suggested I'd probably be insane to do it, but at least I know where I stand. (Should anyone reading this post in future want to know the costs involved, message me and I'll let you have an idea).

The horror on Mrs Andybass's face at the suggesiton of two double basses in the house, however, means I may just resize my bridge and put some Velvet Garbos or something on as a better all-rounder (I use a Rockabilly E and Golden Slaps A-G, which slap and pizz pretty good but sound pretty grim bowed and lack some volume).

I'm currently playing in a couple of bluegrass things, one band that's just started and is more this modern grassy-country stuff and another old-time duo, due to start gigging very soon. Other than that I play for M&J Blues sometimes and, well, anyone else who wants a double bass when you, Chip and everyone else is busy!

[quote name='AndyBass' timestamp='1348837964' post='1818922']
Invicta59 - I've just seen that you're in The Slingshots! Sheffield legends. I think you know Chip (Mercurys, Radiacs, etc)? I used to be in a band with him, think I've seen you crop up on his Facebook.
[/quote]

Ummm.. legends may be pushing it a bit.. well.. quite a lot actually! Yes, I know Chip, he always comes to our Sheffield gigs. Decent fella... if you're on f/b feel free to add me if you wish (Dave Invicta), but don't expect much intellectual stuff from my posts ;) anyway.. to business...

[quote name='AndyBass' timestamp='1348837964' post='1818922']
Interested to know which luthier you go to, I only know one round Sheffield.
[/quote]

I took mine to Steep Hill Strings in Lincoln - [url="http://www.sutherlandviolin.com/"]http://www.sutherlandviolin.com/[/url] I've just had a new bridge fitted and some minor remedial work done. I'm really pleased with the outcome, and the cost was, unlike the hill the workshop is located on, not too steep!

I don't have a vast amount of experience with luthiers to compare to, but I would be quite happy to put my recommendation on Andrew's services

Maybe see you at a gig sometime!!

I know about the "classical musician" debate, but if you already play left handed and have no interest in orchestral playing, a leftie bass makes sense!

So...

Issue 1 is the fingerboard.

If you have a rhomberg bevel, you'd want it cutting on the opposite side - or at least deleted. If it's a thick 'board, that's no problem - If it's a thin 'board, it's a big expense - especially if you want ebony... Expect £200 for a blank, plus up to £100 fitting. If you're happy with a hardwood board, the fitting cost's the same, but with a £50 blank.

Issue 2 is the bridge.

You'll be wanting a new one, unless yours is excessively tall. ... Expect £100... Could be less, or much more if you want a top quality blank (blanks range from £25 up to the best part of £100)

And with gut, nylon or low tension steel (4/4 on a 3/4 bass, solo strings at standard pitch etc) strings, you could stop there... it'll work... Performance won't be optimal, obviously, but it'll make sound... Less of a problem if you're amplifying.

Regular steel strings may work, but I'd be less confident - especially in the long term, due to the tension.

Otherwise it's:

Front off (£50 minimum)

Cut old bass bar out (£30 ish)

Fit new bass bar (£50 - £100... I know that's a wide variation, but it's a "hours on the bench" job)

New soundpost - (£20 - £30)