Why become a member? ×

Guitar build - walnut/maple neck through *Finished*

Wil

[quote name='Wil' timestamp='1407228508' post='2518448']
I havent really looked that far into using binding, but I did read this which made me think it would be possible to do after the fretwork - http://www.stewmac.com/How-To/Online_Resources/Binding/How_to_bind_a_fretboard_Gibson-style.html

Really I'm not fussed on the look of binding, I just figure it'll look neater than my slightly wonky fret tangs and slightly-too-deep-in-places-but-now-filled-with-superglue fret slots ;)
[/quote]

Hi Wil
The trouble is that the neck ends up wider than the frets. Some people are ok with that but some find it very off putting. Also, you will have a chamfered edge where it blends into the neck.
With a decent edge filing of the fret ends, I'm sure it will look fine :-)

• 2 weeks later...

Some progress - shaping where the neck meets the body, routing for the pickups, and I've done a fair bit of sanding (still lots to do...). Worked out I could attach my vaccum cleaner to my router, so didn't make any mess at all (besides the appalling routing - it's not a great deal tidier than the pic above, but as it's covered by the pickups, who cares? Well, I do a bit, but that's what happens when I'm allowed near power tools...

I was amazed how effective the little vaccum cleaner attachment on the router was - it's the cheapest router B&Q had too. It spread less dust than I would make after a few minutes of hand sanding, brilliant!

I got a bottle of tru oil in the post the other day so once I've routed for the control cavity I'll be cracking on with the tedious task of hand sanding the whole thing in preparation for finishing.

This is a great thread to follow, if you haven't used truoil before, you can find a lot of useful info on the TDPRI site, including how to do the "slurry" grain filling technique. Also, it seems the rags you use can spontaneously combust, so be careful of you do it indoors
Best of luck
Harry

• 4 weeks later...

[color=#141823][font=Helvetica, Arial,]I decided I'd had enough of sanding and trying to remove every little blemish, so I decided to get cracking with the tru-oil. I have it 3 coats, leaving 24 hours between each and wet sanding with tru oil after the first.

I still need to make covers for the truss rod and control cavity. Stringing up has revealed a few high frets which I'll sort out in due course, and I need to file down the nut slots. The neck is pretty clubby so may at some point slim it down a bit and re-oil. Essentially though it all works, and sounds good, although until I have sorted the above, it will continue to play like a car crash.[/font][/color]

It looks good, even if it's not quite there. Come to think of it, I need to go back and pay some more attention to the fret ends on the neck I finished last month as a couple are lifting!
What sort of music will you be playing on this? The BC Rich-esque styling and humbuckers make me think something quite rockish?

I'm one of those tosspots who claim to have an "eclectic" taste in music so I'll play anything! I spent a few hours last night playing a spot of blues on this. Oh, and "Oh No" by Zappa, or a bad rendition thereof. Both pickups together sounds particularly sweet, I'm really happy with the pickups and placement. They are low output PAF style humbuckers, I'm not a fan of high output pickups in general. My current guitar project is instrumental post rock I suppose, for want of a better description.

Edited by Wil

• 2 weeks later...

I used this guitar on a recording for the first time last night, for all the parts on this: https://soundcloud.com/wil-miles/bad

It was also the first time I have picked up my bass since finishing this build, and I was surprised that my guitar's neck makes my P bass neck feel incredibly skinny... if that's not a sign that I need to thin out the neck more I don't know what is.

[quote name='Wil' timestamp='1412242835' post='2567014']
I used this guitar on a recording for the first time last night, for all the parts on this: [url="https://soundcloud.com/wil-miles/bad"]https://soundcloud.com/wil-miles/bad[/url]

It was also the first time I have picked up my bass since finishing this build, and I was surprised that my guitar's neck makes my P bass neck feel incredibly skinny... if that's not a sign that I need to thin out the neck more I don't know what is.
[/quote]
[sharedmedia=core:attachments:167486] Nothing more to say but "Excellent, well done on all counts.".

• 2 weeks later...