Why become a member? ×

Rant. Old age. Commitment. Bands. etc.

SteveO

I just have to let off some steam here. Please excuse the mess...

So we're a covers band in Oslo. played a few gigs, but struggling with singers has meant its taken 2 years to get to the point where we feel we can gig regularly.

I have a connection in a hard rock club in a town about an hour North of Oslo. Been trying for ages to get us a gig there, but singers dropping out or not being able to sing without lyrics has been a problem. This is one of the biggest venues In Norway outside Oslo, Trondheim and Bergen (the 3 principal cities)

New singer. She's great. Whole band fired up, things are looking good. Get asked to play festival at this place, but can't because of holidays. :(

Get asked by my connection if we can support B.a.c.k.s.t.r.e.e.t G.i.r.l.s in November - Now for those of you outside Scandinavia they are a boogie rock band. Not HUGE, but big. Think Status Quo. Good music, great atmosphere. Not the kind of gig you turn down. Especially not when you're new on the scene. Especially not when Invited by one of the owners of one of the largest Rock venues in Norway. Especially not when you've already turned them down once.

It appears that one of the band has babysitter problems that night. LIKE THERE'S ONLY ONE F@@@@@@ BABYSITTER IN OSLO????????.

Gaaaargh. :facepalm:

All names withheld or altered to prevent google from popping this up if anyone does a search. I don't really see a huge problem here as I'll drop my kids and babysitter off at "his" house for the night if we have to. Plus he's actually a great guy and will no doubt be trying to frantically sort something out, but I don't want to start a row. For those that have guessed please don't mention the venue name or band name or I'll have to delete the thread.

And for those of you who are not scandinavian and are wondering, the BSG's predated the Backstreet Boys by about 10 years, and they're all blokes :)

That's the trouble with bands. 'Can't rehearse this week , gotta look after the kids' . ' can do any gig , but not the 21st-24th' etc.
Then you have holidays . Sounds like you should get a dep for that big gig, and after that , always keep one handy incase it happens again. Good luck with it.)

As JTUK said - its important to work out each others commitment. For some its a bit of a lark whilst others take it more seriously. I think you have been incredibly patient - perhaps too patient. Two years is a long time. I'd have been off ages ago in search of something more "ready".

Sounds frustrating to say the least ! Been through similar things myself in the past where I expect / hope everyone will be as committed as me , I even book leave off work to make a gig if it clashes , as I work every other weekend

Oh it is a real bummer. Anyway, he has mailed to say that he's really excited and will "do everything to try and make the gig". Told him I'll give him a couple of days to mull it over and commit before calling out for deps, and he's OK about it. Funny really, as its his band :)