Why become a member? ×

Money Shot !!

obi 2 kenobi

[attachment=8367:DSC00334.JPG]

L to R

1978 Stingray. Plays & sounds great. Picked up on ebay years ago from retired muso. No 1 bass

1987 Stingray. Bought new. Status neck added. Much lighter than '78 but 2 band rules.

1983 JV Jazz. Bought new. Loads of customisation....emgs....defret....paint job....Was only bass for years. Superb sounding bass & great build quality.

c.2000 Ken Smith BSR. Bought from mcgraham (mark). Restrung B - G. Just started using it recently having been left in office for months. Not bad. Nice action

[quote name='mcgraham' post='192458' date='May 5 2008, 08:34 PM']Hi Ken

Nice shot! How's the foray into five strings going for you? Is the Smith working out well for you?

Mark[/quote]

Hey Mark,

Just started playing it a week ago. Biggest challenge is the string spacing. Tuned B-G with 128-40 guage and 16mm spacing doesn't leave much space between strings - fretting hand tends to mess up on moving octaves from string to string. That said I now realise 19mm string spacing is too much for me. Sounds very good - clear hi-fi sound. The treble eq doesn't seem to do much though. Very light and well made.
I intend to keep it for the moment. See how it goes later on.

Cheers, Ken

[quote]Just started playing it a week ago. Biggest challenge is the string spacing. Tuned B-G with 128-40 guage and 16mm spacing doesn't leave much space between strings - fretting hand tends to mess up on moving octaves from string to string. That said I now realise 19mm string spacing is too much for me. Sounds very good - clear hi-fi sound. The treble eq doesn't seem to do much though. Very light and well made.[/quote]

Very fair comments. I've actually moved back to wider/19mm spacing since some discussions with Mark @ BassDirect & Enrico @ Wood&Tronics. Whilst I prefer tighter spacing for reduced movement/economy of motion, wider spacing helps keep the right hand a lot more relaxed. It's a trade off between the two really.

I'd agree re: the eq, although I felt it was the bass knob that was to my dislike; dialled in a woolly bass sound rather than warmth or punch.

[quote]I intend to keep it for the moment. See how it goes later on.[/quote]

Good plan. I can tell you that bassjamm would still love that bass back so if you do decide to move it on, please drop him a message.

Hope all is well my friend, happy playing!

Mark

P.S. What string brand are you using that has a 0.128 B string?

[quote name='mcgraham' post='193143' date='May 6 2008, 06:04 PM']Very fair comments. I've actually moved back to wider/19mm spacing since some discussions with Mark @ BassDirect & Enrico @ Wood&Tronics. Whilst I prefer tighter spacing for reduced movement/economy of motion, wider spacing helps keep the right hand a lot more relaxed. It's a trade off between the two really.

I'd agree re: the eq, although I felt it was the bass knob that was to my dislike; dialled in a woolly bass sound rather than warmth or punch.

[i]True. The eq on the stingrays is superior. You can get a good range of tones. Less so on the Smith
[/i]

Good plan. I can tell you that bassjamm would still love that bass back so if you do decide to move it on, please drop him a message.

[i]Noted. As said earlier the only reason for potentially moving it on is tight string spacing. If I do, will probably replace it with bass having 17.00 / 17.50mm spacing.[/i]

Hope all is well my friend, happy playing!

Mark

P.S. What string brand are you using that has a 0.128 B string?[/quote]

Labella Slappers. Use them on all my basses. High tension strings which I prefer.