Why become a member? ×

Ampeg SVT-HD

NJW

I bought this from fellow BC'er, 'danbanbass', and it arrived today, so I thought I'd post my first impressions.

Baring in mind I haven't had a chance to play it in a band context yet, and that i've only had a limited time to play it - here's what I think so far.

First of all, on powering up I noticed the fan was INCREDIBLY loud. Is this normal? It's loud to an almost 'this would be a problem when recording' level. I plugged into Ch. 1's normal input and started to bring up volume, playing my MIA Jazz bass. MIDS! Wow, this thing is mid heavy. It's fantastic. I haven't yet had the chance to try all the rocker switch settings with different pot settings, but I got a deep lo-mid'ish tone out of it immediatly. Cranking the top end, I noticed it was 'sweet' rather than harsh (compared to my tech 21 LM300). Pushing the bass up, i realised i didnt even need to push it much as the low mid provided so much 'oomph'. One worrying thing is that it really brings out the nuances in my playing! I'm gonna have to get practising!!!

Plugging into channel 2 was a little dissapointing, as one of the pre tubes was microphonic and so I couldn't really get to hear the channel properly.

I'm going to email my tech tonight and ask what he thinks about the fan situation, and also if he would recommend any particular tube compliment. I can't help but feel the Marshall 6550's could be replaced with something nicer, just to make it go from being 'Oooomph' to 'Earth Shattering'.

I take it that you're putting it through the 610? What setting have you got the horn on just out of curiosity?

Sounds really great apart from the fan. Post some pics with the cab when you've time if you can!

yeah its through the 6x10. Tried the tweet on, but as per usual I ended up with it completely off. I'm not a fan of the way it sounds at all...

I shall get pictures when I can, and let you know how it fares at a gig next week. Also gonna try replace the microphonic preamp tube to get rid of t't warning light, as its making me nervous, even though i dont intend to use the channel yet.

I spent some time with the SVT today and managed to locate and swap out the microphonic preamp tube, which made me much happier. Also, with some fresh strings on my jazz bass the tone of it was much tighter and rounder and ballsier than before. Good times. Rehearsal on tuesday will give it a good workout.

Sure thing - once it's been in for service I will let you know what we did.

I played it at a show for the first time on wednesday night and I have to say... its quite a beast to tame, when youre not used to having 300w of tube power at your disposal. It was a little vocal PA show so there was no PA support for it... We started our set and I felt a bit uncomfortable with it... the low E string was 'grinding' a bit more than I liked and I felt it wasn't really warm or deep enough. After a few songs i cut the treble on the amp a bit, and notched back the mids a tad... It was better, sat in with the drums a whole lot better. Then as the set went on I notched the tone control on the bass back a bit and all of a sudden it just worked perfectly!

A combination of less top end, more 'delicate' use of mids and a tad less tone on the bass, mixed with the tubes getting a workout over the course of 50 minutes resulted in a fantastically deep, warm tone, with plenty of definition.

Good stuff!

Now I really can't wait to get it in for service and have a matched sextet of power tubes put in, instead of the current 'compliment'. At the moment there are 4 Marshall 6550's and 2 Sovteks... hmmmm.

• 1 year later...

[quote name='NJW' post='24652' date='Jun 28 2007, 09:48 PM']Now I really can't wait to get it in for service and have a matched sextet of power tubes put in, instead of the current 'compliment'. At the moment there are 4 Marshall 6550's and 2 Sovteks... hmmmm.[/quote]

Just to warn you, getting a matched sextet might not actually make it sound any "better" than it does now. Tubes are funny things and sometimes mix and match gives a really unique personal tone for you. So keep those power tubes and remember where they were placed, just in case!