Why become a member? ×

wireless... any good?

lowdowner

I seem to walk around on stage a lot, and it's not uncommon for me to catch myself about to yank my amp off the stack in my enthusiasm so I was wondering about wireless replacements for leads...

Anyone on here got much experience with them and any comments? Do they affect the sound in any way? (I'd hate to sacrifice quality just so I can ponce about on stage pretending to be a rock god - as if!)

I had one (AKG I think) when the band I was in consisted of very clumsy people, who wouldn`t notice that they`d trapped leads around themselves, and wouldn`t even notice when amps toppled over as a result. So I insisted we all got them. No noticeable detraction in sound quality at all. It`s great to have a stage uncluttered by wires.

[quote name='Lozz196' timestamp='1347790377' post='1804899']
I had one (AKG I think) when the band I was in consisted of very clumsy people, who wouldn`t notice that they`d trapped leads around themselves, and wouldn`t even notice when amps toppled over as a result. So I insisted we all got them. No noticeable detraction in sound quality at all. It`s great to have a stage uncluttered by wires.
[/quote]

None of my other band members move an inch on stage funnily enough... so I don't get this (and they're completely anal about stepping on leads) - the clumsiness is all me I'm afraid!

[size=4][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]I have a Line6 Relay G30 wireless system and love it, makes no noticeable difference to the sound, always use it for gigs and found it very reliable.[/font][/size]
[size=4][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]I tried it at the top of my 125 foot garden, and I could here it loud and clear in my house.[/font][/size]
[font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Great for sound checking too, as I can walk out front and have a listen myself.[/font]

[quote name='BigRedX' timestamp='1347791185' post='1804914']
Wrap your cable around one of your speaker handles before plugging it into your amp.
[/quote]

.....and your p*sshead of a vocalist (at the time) stumbles across the stage, tangling your cable round his legs, doesn't stop floundering, and pulls your stack over!. I bought an AKG wireless set-up (after I'd punched his lights out) joined another Band, and have had no problems since. B)

[quote name='BigRedX' timestamp='1347791185' post='1804914']
Wrap your cable around one of your speaker handles before plugging it into your amp.
[/quote]

I use wireless from my bass to pedalboard, and a lead from the pedalboard to amp. I still do the cable wrapped round the speaker handles thing! I also duct tape the lead to the floor. You can never be too careful! ;)

To he OP, dont forget to wrap the lead around your strap button too! Prevents it being pulled out of your bass!

I use one and love it. At our last gig I was able to wander out into the audience and greet a mate I hadn't seen for ages while also checking out our front of house sound.

The guitarist won't use his as he reckons it pushes the gain up too much, but I don't notice that effect with mine. I use it for soundcheck anyway so could compensate if necessary.

[quote name='thebrig' timestamp='1347792638' post='1804932'][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Great for sound checking too, as I can walk out front and have a listen myself.[/font][/quote]

I'm tempted to get one just so I could do this - I'd be able to go to one of our gigs :D

[quote name='lowdowner' timestamp='1347789735' post='1804889']
I seem to walk around on stage a lot, and it's not uncommon for me to catch myself about to yank my amp off the stack in my enthusiasm so I was wondering about wireless replacements for leads...

Anyone on here got much experience with them and any comments? Do they affect the sound in any way? (I'd hate to sacrifice quality just so I can ponce about on stage pretending to be a rock god - as if!)
[/quote]

Line6 G30, one of the best bits of gear I ever bought.

No signal compression like on old radio systems, these digital units are very very good. Freedom on stage, you'll wonder how you managed before! And it's a good thing to have when you want to hear what the band sounds like in front, as others said.

Edited by mcnach

[quote name='BarnacleBob' timestamp='1347797438' post='1805035']
I always found battery life in the transmitter an issue but a few years since I used them. Perhaps the technology has moved on since then?

BB
[/quote]

over 8h on the G30, and very accurate battery level indicator. No problem :)

I don't move around that much - but I don't like to be tied down.

I use a Samson Airline, swear by it and would not be without it - I'd buy another if it broke. Might even buy another one as a spare.

[url="http://www.samsontech.com/samson/products/wireless-systems/airline/airline-ag1/"]http://www.samsontech.com/samson/products/wireless-systems/airline/airline-ag1/[/url]