Why become a member? ×

Marshall bass amps, any interest in a JCM800?

bigsmokebass

Hey guys and gals.

Just wondered if there's any interest in Marshall bass amps these days?

Not that I'm looking to sell, more than, waft the scent and see who comes but I have a beautiful JCM800 bass amp and matching cab at my mums in Liverpool way. Although I love this beast and daren't think about being without it, living over 50 miles away and unable to relocate and use it. It seems a waste letting it sit there.

Besides the point, who actually uses them and what's the word on the street about them?
Have the days of Rock N' Roll gear died?

BSB

Well I love Marshall bass amps, they have a great sound, are ultra reliable, and look uber-cool as well. Marketed well, to guys/gals in metal/rock bands, I think a sale is possible, but it is more of a niche market. Unfairly so in my view, people should hear these amps before dismissing them purely as rock/metal amps, but the name preceeds them as that.

I'm exactly the same, Lozz. I find this amp itself versatile for an old valve for rock, metal and even punk and pop (havent ventured far to include any other genres) but I just never hear much from bassists playing Marshall valves anymore. Perhaps due to the last series they brought out didn't go down too well but when you only have a "shabby" budget range and then a top end, I suppose you won't get many people following you.

To be fair, if it wasn't for listening to Muse, 'Maiden and knowing Lemmi is renowned for playing them. I don't think i'd have even gone for one, thank god I did but since I think they've moved on XD just my luck?

[quote name='Von Death' timestamp='1347304247' post='1799146']
Well I love my Marshall VBA 400, and loved my Dynamic head, Jubilee and Integrated head before that. I’ve used Marshall heads and cabs for about 25 years now.

Lovely, lovely bass gear.

Then again I am a ridiculous Heavy Rock caricature.

Von
[/quote]

See I do love Marshall, I just cringe with this one ATM with being about 30 years old. I would never gig with it but that's me. A lovely home/studio job while the fender can take the beatings.

I think if I had the VBA series (despite being too pricey for me) I'd try my best to be a tourchbearer for Marshall because they're just all round great amps but held in the dark as far as the basses go.

It's just my opinion but I think if they did what they've done with the guitar line, they 'could' thrash ashdown.

BSB

That's one thing I do admire about my Marshall, is for a valve amp, the Mids are so malleable, the bass is thick and clear while the treble shines through and cuts through the mix.
After trying many valve types from fenders, ashdown to hartke, etc, it's hard to get a sound like it and more so with all the new smyphetic "valves" too.

BSB

[quote name='bigsmokebass' timestamp='1347314690' post='1799341']
After trying many valve types from fenders, ashdown to hartke, etc, it's hard to get a sound like it and more so with all the new smyphetic "valves" too.
[/quote]

The trick is eqing down the natural mids from your instrument, and replacing them with distortion products in the midrange, becuase the tone stack is mid cut only, but there is tons of distortion through the rest of the circuit. Everywhere else still tends to engineer the amps clean, and the distortion is pre eq.

[quote name='Mr. Foxen' timestamp='1347318691' post='1799399']

The trick is eqing down the natural mids from your instrument, and replacing them with distortion products in the midrange, becuase the tone stack is mid cut only, but there is tons of distortion through the rest of the circuit. Everywhere else still tends to engineer the amps clean, and the distortion is pre eq.
[/quote]

Cheers matey :)

BSB

Still got my ancient (mid sixties the repairer reckoned, though the repair probably makes it a "Trigger's Broom") Superbass 100. Haven't gigged it in years, but it does have a thunderous roar to it. #2 son has it stacked up in his room and runs it up as a [size=1][i][sub]guitar[/sub][/i][/size] amp on occasion :blush:

I'd love to use it, but it weighs a ton!!

I've got the old JCM800 Bass Series cabs as my main ones. 1 4x12 angled and 1 2x15 straight. Ideally, I'd love to get another matching pair at some point but I doubt anyone would let them go at what I got them for. I paid £240 for the 4x12 and £90 for the 2x15. I got the 2x15 so cheap because I had to travel to the ar5e end of london to go get it and picked the 4x12 up from Birmingham.
Let me know what the cabinet is, what speakers it's loaded with and what sort of price you'd be looking for and I might sort a deal out with you at some point

[quote name='StevieD_FenderP2009' timestamp='1347376001' post='1799944']
I've got the old JCM800 Bass Series cabs as my main ones. 1 4x12 angled and 1 2x15 straight. Ideally, I'd love to get another matching pair at some point but I doubt anyone would let them go at what I got them for. I paid £240 for the 4x12 and £90 for the 2x15. I got the 2x15 so cheap because I had to travel to the ar5e end of london to go get it and picked the 4x12 up from Birmingham.
Let me know what the cabinet is, what speakers it's loaded with and what sort of price you'd be looking for and I might sort a deal out with you at some point
[/quote]

I'd ideally like to sell both amp and cab together but nothing to say what will happen, however I will go back home soon, get pics, details and at least give you the heads up on the cab.
All I can tell you at the moment its a 4x10, straight cab :)

BSB