Why become a member? ×

eBay - is this legit ?

far0n

Message from someone that's bought a bass off me. To be fair he's got 94 100% feedback ratings, so it must be ok ????

[i]I tried to do the money transaction via PayPal, so i refreshed my Credit Card. Problem is, that i have to wait few days to receive the new activity code (i do not use online banking with Master Card). I can propose you a another possibility. Normally inside Europe i use Bank wire transfer, it`s also a very safe and fast way to send money. Would you change? If yes, i need your international Bank Code (BIC) and your IBAN number + your full name + name of your Bank. Believe me, it`s not my strategy to produce troubles, but i`m sure we will make it. Best regards, Harald[/i]

The text itself seems legit, as the situation he describes is a real one, but he can have a long wait before he gets the new code. Giving him your IBAN and BIC is virtually riskless.
Me, I keep wondering about why people would be reluctant to give that info. It exists for that purpose. Companies like my own would have this info in each letter and e-mail.

One must just make a deal about who pays international banking costs. Tip: shared costs tends to give the lowest total. When I pay to the UK, I choose "shared" and just add 8 quid to cover the recipient's costs.

best,
bert

Looks legit. If he's not Paypal confirmed he'll have to wait till the code shows on his Bank statement before he can enter it, might be a long wait.
I use IBAN and BIC most of the time when paying overseas, Finland has a single cost of €1 for IBAN transfers if you do them yourself :)

I also use IBAN for transfers to the UK. It's the international version of your account number and so Its no different to giving a UK resident your account number so they can do a transfer.

I don't think there is anything dodgy about this guy, but personally I'd also wait a couple of days so you have the paypal protection (such as it is)

I wanted to buy a bass from Thomann, they wanted bank transfer. Our bank this end wanted £24 for £509 changed to however many Euros. They said the bank at the other end would charge but they couldn't tell me how much :o . I didn't buy the bass.
I have just, last night, had exactly the same with Bach (Czech) and I'm not going to buy from them either.
People who only sell bass gear in Euros need to think of the extra charge that is putting on the British members of the EU.
Or lose business.
I am sure I am not the only one who will think sod that for a carry on!

[quote name='karlfer' timestamp='1347258157' post='1798466']
I wanted to buy a bass from Thomann, they wanted bank transfer. Our bank this end wanted £24 for £509 changed to however many Euros. They said the bank at the other end would charge but they couldn't tell me how much :o . I didn't buy the bass.
I have just, last night, had exactly the same with Bach (Czech) and I'm not going to buy from them either.
People who only sell bass gear in Euros need to think of the extra charge that is putting on the British members of the EU.
Or lose business.
[/quote]

Ahh the benefits of remaining in a single currency. Can't really expect johnny forreigner to sell to us at a cheaper rate just because the banks want to take a cut for currency conversion. Bit like me asking you to take £300 for your bass advertised at £500 because the courier charges to here are £200.

[quote name='Grangur' timestamp='1347262132' post='1798484']
In any case £24 is a normal transfer fee for sending abroad.
[/quote]

I think it's a case of the UK's arcahic Banking system!
As I stated I can send from Finland to any EU countries bank by IBAN at a cost to myself of €1. The reciever should have nothing to pay and that would include conversion from Euros to Pounds. There maybe an upperlimit on the sending amount, but I have transfered upwards of €1500 and had no problems.

[quote name='Highfox' timestamp='1347267237' post='1798495']
I think it's a case of the UK's arcahic Banking system!
As I stated I can send from Finland to any EU countries bank by IBAN at a cost to myself of €1. The reciever should have nothing to pay and that would include conversion from Euros to Pounds. There maybe an upperlimit on the sending amount, but I have transfered upwards of €1500 and had no problems.
[/quote]
+1

Or lose business.
[/quote]If it's something you're going to do regularly, and frankly even if it's not, why not get a currency card like [url="http://www.caxtonfx.com/currency-cards/"]CaxtonFX[/url] You load the Euros on from your bank at a good rate and buy in Euros. Pretty good rate & it costs nothing to have and can (or could) save on card charges by people like RyanAir. Downsides are €150 minimum load and it costs to get money back if you load too much but otherwise greatr IMO. Just about to load mine for this weeks hols.

[quote name='SteveO' timestamp='1347259514' post='1798471']
Ahh the benefits of remaining in a single currency. Can't really expect johnny forreigner to sell to us at a cheaper rate just because the banks want to take a cut for currency conversion. Bit like me asking you to take £300 for your bass advertised at £500 because the courier charges to here are £200.
[/quote]

Yeah, kinda lost me on the analogy there, but that's because I'm thick. Point of the matter to me is it's going to cost me the price of the bass, 24 Euros for transport (excellent), minimum of 70 Euros for currency conversion (not excellent).
I'm not going to waste that money, simple as that. No johny foreigner issues, no single currency issues (our governments decision,not mine), simply a matter of it becomes finacially un viable in my eyes.
I very much doubt I am the only one that makes that kind of decision. The sellers loss.
A year or so back, there used to be a lot of ads for 2nd hand basses, direct from Japan, on FEEBay. There are virtually none now. My guess is because of VAT increases in Britain, plus exchange rate, their basses seemed to become expensive, British buyers bought less, so the sellers stopped advertising.
There comes a point for some folk, no matter how desirable an item is, it is not worth to them what it is going to cost.

[quote name='karlfer' timestamp='1347272776' post='1798575']
Yeah, kinda lost me on the analogy there, but that's because I'm thick. Point of the matter to me is it's going to cost me the price of the bass, 24 Euros for transport (excellent), minimum of 70 Euros for currency conversion (not excellent).
I'm not going to waste that money, simple as that. No johny foreigner issues, no single currency issues (our governments decision,not mine), simply a matter of it becomes finacially un viable in my eyes.
I very much doubt I am the only one that makes that kind of decision. The sellers loss.
A year or so back, there used to be a lot of ads for 2nd hand basses, direct from Japan, on FEEBay. There are virtually none now. My guess is because of VAT increases in Britain, plus exchange rate, their basses seemed to become expensive, British buyers bought less, so the sellers stopped advertising.
There comes a point for some folk, no matter how desirable an item is, it is not worth to them what it is going to cost.
[/quote]

:) I tend to do random analogies. apologies for being off on a tangent. Try this one:

I'm selling a bass for £500

you want to buy it, but because its going to cost you £25 for the currency conversion you want me to sell it to you for £475

I can take your £475 or I can sell for £500 to anyone that doesn't have an archaic banking system (I like that phrase, thanks Highfox) this includes pretty much anyone not in the UK.

It's not your fault that the banks charge for the transfer, but it's not mine either so why would I want to take less cash for it? As you say It's my loss, but as long as people in the rest of the world want to buy them then I'm not going to worry too much about loss of sales in one country.

Anyway, I'm pretty sure that the EU trading laws say that a company cannot offer something at different prices to different countries. Maybe you should be writing to your MEP.

On a tangent again... I wonder how much money the banks stand to loose if they couldn't charge for foreign currency exchange. After all not much is made in the UK these days and so that's a lot of cash being paid to foreign firms, and a lot of fees to the banks. The cynic in me wonders if that is one of the real reasons for not wanting to adopt the Euro.

Both the ones I quoted are businesses, not individuals. In terms of selling price they have leeway in what they can do.
Presumably because Britain is such a small island (although apparently having over 20,000 bass players?) a business can choose to ignore some of their potential market.
I run a little business and within reason I will NEGOTIATE with potential customers.
Fact of the matter is that currently it makes it more expensive for me to change to Euros to buy something. Therefore unless it's vital, I won't buy it.
And your personal £500 bass? Will you take £450 please, it's a tough market :lol: .
No offence SteveO, that's just a bit of levity.
Karl.

[/quote]

bank transfer with Thomann?

why not a credit/debit card, buying in pounds through their "in-sterling-pounds" site? :huh:

I bought many times from Thomann, never did a bank transfer.

Our bank this end wanted £24 for £509 changed to however many Euros. They said the bank at the other end would charge but they couldn't tell me how much :o .[/quote]

Maybe you met the same thing as I did: that they don't know how much the other bank will charge, so they just charge you a way too high amount so they're in the clear themselves.

This is why I never choose (in the netbank, in my case) that either I or the person on the other side must pay all costs. "Shared costs" is best, and when you're the paying party, you can just add some quid (I use to add between 6 and 10 quid) to cover the recipient's costs.

best,
bert

This 'bank wire transfer' is it just an international version of [i]direct bank transfer [/i]in the UK, which I use all the time.?

All you need for that, is persons name, bank sort code and account number, and you can send each other money in minutes and no one has to pay any fees at all! When I sell on ebay I usually try to ask for this method of payment first, so no paypal fees.