Why become a member? ×

Playing with a dep drummer

The Dark Lord

Playing with a dep drummer next Saturday.

This is the first time I will have done this. He's a guy with a great reputation around our parts. Even sounds like a real pro. He's taken a recording of one our recent gigs and says he can transpose it, learn it and play exactly that when we play next week. We haven't even met never mind rehearsed together.

I'm a roll with the punches kinda geezer - so I can run with this kinda thing. Our frontman/guitarist is a bit more wary though. He's excitable and nervy and worries about such things.

Have any of you guys actually done this? Played with a dep drummer having never met or rehearsed with them?

Yep, I have a few times - always has worked out fine (obviously helps if the drummer is pretty good).

I've also played several deps myself with no rehearsal, one at two hours notice! Again, got thru those gigs with no major problems......

Edited by peteb

In the function band I play in, I've played with four different drummers in the last six gigs, none of whom I'd met before. We don't rehearse. If he's a good drummer (and his rep suggests he is), you'll all be fine. The four I've played with have ranged from good to really good, and one of them I really clicked with, I'm looking forward to playing with him again.

Yes, at one gig my covers band had scheduled, we found out 30mins after we were meant to go on that the drummer couldn`t make it. Luckily, we managed to borrow a kit locally, and 2 guys in the audience, who both play drums, and that we already knew, did half the gig each. Couple of mistakes, but nothing like the disaster it could have been. I just stayed next to the drummer(s) whilst playing, and gave the nods for rolls/fills/quiet bits (not many in a punk band) and endings. One of the guys has now joined the band as well. Was a great gig.

Yeah been there and without any warning. Often it's a really pleasant suprise when the tub thumper is really good and knows they're part of a two part team. Suddenly locking with someone you've never played with before makes you feel very good about yourself, especially, as happened to me back when I first started, if it's never happened with your usual guy where I thought I was missing something in my own playing.

If you rate him from what you already know, and he has promised he has the means to learn the set correctly prior to the gig, then you either trust him or not

If the rest of the band are already tight and confident with arrangements then should be fine

Perhaps arrange the set with some of the simper stuff for the first few numbers, the drummer might not need it this way, but if it reduces your worry then it's worth it

We might be doing this with The Terrortones (due to family commitments for our proper drummer) and I'm pretty nervous about it. The drum parts for our songs are pretty much integral to the arrangement and far more than just someone hitting stuff in time. There are also subtle tempo changes stops and starts in the middle of songs, weird bar counts and missing beats all of which will have to be nailed otherwise it's not going to be right.

[quote name='The Dark Lord' timestamp='1347133283' post='1797345']
Playing with a dep drummer next Saturday.

This is the first time I will have done this. He's a guy with a great reputation around our parts. Even sounds like a real pro. He's taken a recording of one our recent gigs and [b]says he can transpose it[/b], learn it and play exactly that when we play next week.
[/quote]

Does he play in a different key to your regular drummer then? :P :lol:

We used a dep last night (cum audition) and it was ok. The dude knew the songs and coped very well, but he overplayed everything and just had no sense of dynamics whatsoever. He was either completely silent or far too loud and fast!

Oh well, that's what you get sometimes!

Truckstop

Okay ...... just back from the gig. It could not have gone better. What a pro. He had both transposed and mostly memorized the drum score from a recording of one of our previous gigs - and he played it note for note. An uncanny level of musical skill. And a great bloke too. One of the most enjoyable evenings I can remember. I even smiled once (and I would make Ivan Lendl seem like a Chuckle Brother).

Edited by The Dark Lord

sometimes the heightened nervousness / apprehension focuses the senses and enhances the experience , and sometimes you get a tosser , glad it went well .
[quote name='BigRedX' timestamp='1347186426' post='1797717']
We might be doing this with The Terrortones (due to family commitments for our proper drummer) and I'm pretty nervous about it. The drum parts for our songs are pretty much integral to the arrangement and far more than just someone hitting stuff in time. There are also subtle tempo changes stops and starts in the middle of songs, weird bar counts and missing beats all of which will have to be nailed otherwise it's not going to be right.
[/quote]
good luck on this one , you guys do a show , there is more to a show than meets the eye , you have put a lot into the dynamics which can be very subtle , I hope it works out for you .