Why become a member? ×

Pino on the one show

gub

[quote name='Lord Sausage' timestamp='1347294104' post='1798943']
...you can encounter quite a lot of snobbery from session players who read towards those who can't. I've seen it on here, people going on about how in the 'real world' of gigs you need to read, no tab etc, i've witnessed it whilst on gigs towards those who can't...
[/quote]

These are the kinds of people who's arrogance will in itself lose them as many gigs in the long term as those who are unable to read. Reading is important for a lot of things, but as Pino has demonstrated, it's clearly not everything.

[quote name='EssentialTension' timestamp='1347296187' post='1798976']
... but, as Palladino himself pointed out in the interview, if it was a reading session he wouldn't have got the job.
[/quote]

You get the impression from everyone who has worked with Pino that concessions are generally made for him, I should imagine he really is that good to work with. Anthony Jackson for example has commented on Pino's influence in the session world, and Anthony Jackson is probably the most accomplished and musically literate bass player I can think of who doesn't sing anyone's praises unless he means it.

[quote name='wombatboter' timestamp='1347291581' post='1798910']
This is so kind and generous of you.. thanks a lot for doing this, makes my day !
[/quote]

I can only take credit for finding the video, some other nice person uploaded the clip. :) It's tough being outside the UK with the (reasonable) regional restrictions on the BBC's content.

[quote name='EssentialTension' timestamp='1347296187' post='1798976']
... but, as Palladino himself pointed out in the interview, if it was a reading session he wouldn't have got the job.
[/quote]

Presumably, a reading requirement is only required if the bass line has already been written and they just need someone to play it. But my understanding is that Pino created that bass part and THAT was his contribution.

The difference between a technician and a musician perhaps?

[quote name='flyfisher' timestamp='1347349542' post='1799538']
The difference between a technician and a musician perhaps?
[/quote]

[quote name='flyfisher' timestamp='1347357257' post='1799656']
I wasn't being derogatory, just trying to distinguish between musicians who are primarily players rather than composers.
[/quote]
So, it seems possible that you are claiming that only composers are musicians.

I hope that bloke "Bilbo" who is all ways banging on about "theory" and "reading" has seen this thread. (yawn) Its just that, possibly, the best Bass player of the last 25 years or more to Grace Gods green earth (to consider who he hasn't played for would be easier) says he "doesnt read." Allright!!
OK, I must admit, he must know some stuff after all that time but... HA HA HA!! go PINO!! gotta love that guy, my Bass Playing hero to say the least.

Edited by witterth

[quote name='witterth' timestamp='1347407160' post='1800548']
I hope that bloke "Bilbo" who is all ways banging on about "theory" and "reading" has seen this thread. (yawn) Its just that, possibly, the best Bass player of the last 25 years or more to Grace Gods green earth (to consider who he hasn't played for would be easier) says he "doesnt read." Allright!!
OK, I must admit, he must know some stuff after all that time but... HA HA HA!! go PINO!! gotta love that guy, my Bass Playing hero to say the least.
[/quote]Surely you can see that Pino is an [b]exceptionally[/b] gifted player. There's a very high probability that no BC member is anywhere nearly as gifted. So, to anyone asking, "I want to be a session player. Is reading an advantage?" Unless you can weave bass magic like Pino, then, the answer has got to be YES, absolutely!

[quote name='SteveK' timestamp='1347411164' post='1800572']
Surely you can see that Pino is an [b]exceptionally[/b] gifted player. There's a very high probability that no BC member is anywhere nearly as gifted. So, to anyone asking, "I want to be a session player. Is reading an advantage?" Unless you can weave bass magic like Pino, then, the answer has got to be YES, absolutely!
[/quote]
Yeah I Know, you are right.
I really need to learn to keep me gob shut!! :lol:

Edited by witterth

IME experience there are two types of session.

One where the music has all been worked out and what is required are musicians to come in and play what they are told. For this you need to be able to read, be versatile in terms of styles and techniques and get on and do as you are told as quickly as possible.

The other type is where the song exists as little more than lyrics and vocal melody and maybe some chords. The musicians will be expected to add some creative input to flesh out the song into a finished arrangement. Normally they are booked primarily for their playing style. Reading doesn't matter since there won't be anything more than a basic chord chart to read (and that will have probably changed massively by the time the final version has been recorded). The person organising the session will have a good idea of the playing styles required and will book the musicians accordingly. In this instance creativity is what is required.

[quote name='BigRedX' timestamp='1347445694' post='1800806']
IME experience there are two types of session.

One where the music has all been worked out and what is required are musicians to come in and play what they are told. For this you need to be able to read, be versatile in terms of styles and techniques and get on and do as you are told as quickly as possible.

The other type is where the song exists as little more than lyrics and vocal melody and maybe some chords. The musicians will be expected to add some creative input to flesh out the song into a finished arrangement. Normally they are booked primarily for their playing style. Reading doesn't matter since there won't be anything more than a basic chord chart to read (and that will have probably changed massively by the time the final version has been recorded). The person organising the session will have a good idea of the playing styles required and will book the musicians accordingly. In this instance creativity is what is required.
[/quote]
there is also both at the same time

[quote name='EssentialTension' timestamp='1347396775' post='1800357']
So, it seems possible that you are claiming that only composers are musicians.
[/quote]

Not at all. That wouldn't make any sense.

I wrote [i]" I wasn't being derogatory, just trying to distinguish between musicians who are primarily players rather than composers.[/i]" Meaning that there could be musicians who mainly play (possibly by sight-reading) and musicians who could be mainly composers. None of which precludes a musician being both a player AND a composer.

Edit: Lord Sausage beat me to it - I should have read to the end of the thread before replying.

Edited by flyfisher

For me the most important uses of music notation are:

1. Playing someone else's ideas when you haven't heard them before and/or don't need or want to commit them to memory.
PINO: Would (I think) exclusively be engaged to create his own bassline so this wouldn't apply.

2. Helping you study and work out how to play a chunk of someone else's music, if you can't do it totally by ear.
PINO: Would probably subconsciously incorporate other people's ideas without thinking about it and would most likely have a good enough ear to reproduce most other things he chose to. So this wouldn't apply either.

3. Recording your own creations so you can reproduce them consistently.
PINO: Would most likely use his own shorthand technique to jot down pivotal points in his songs and remember the intervening phrases he has created. NOtation not needed here either.

Probably a load of crap - but that's the way I think about it.

CB

[quote name='gelfin' timestamp='1347103514' post='1796965']
[url="http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b01mhlkq/The_One_Show_07_09_2012/"]http://www.bbc.co.uk...how_07_09_2012/[/url]

22.33 in
[/quote]

thanks for that

that tone is so so beautiful - proves its all in the hands :)

and what a modest bloke - terrific and a great ambassador for bass