Why become a member? ×

Using Bass cabs as a P.A. - anyone done it? (Barefaced in particular)

Jesso

Just received my Barefaced compact.
Waiting for the midget to arrive now. These cabs are supposed to be pretty flat.... almost like a P.A. am I right?

So..... I do the DJ'ing in our wedding band straight after the band's set. I use the band's P.A., but a lot of the time it's overkill. I was just thinking.... how would recorded music sound through a midget / compact stack? Obviously, it would be mono, but that wouldn't stop people dancing! And you'd need to mount the midget on a pole..... not a massive issue I wouldn't think.

The Barefaced stuff is just so light and powerful, I wish our P.A. was built along similar lines, but it's quite a bit of extra lifting for me at silly o clock in the morning.
Has anyone ever used any make of bass cabs as a P.A?
I know on the Acme website, they do mention that they're cabs can be used as high quality P.A. speakers, maybe the barefaced stuff is similar.

[quote name='RhysP' timestamp='1346791138' post='1793405']
I think there are anti-discrimination laws against this sort of thing.
:)
[/quote]

Lol!

[quote name='JTUK' timestamp='1346790134' post='1793380']
Try it.....if they sound ok then you get to stay late and pack up last. :lol:
[/quote]

I will indeed try it, but the midget might be another week or two getting here... so was just wondering if anyones already tried.

Found this on the barefaced site....

[quote]Both the Midget and Super Twelve are available with high quality tweeters with custom built crossovers which extend the response to the limit of human hearing with remarkably even response, low distortion and none of that spikey fizzy sound that marrs less well designed woofer+tweeter cabs. They can even do double duty as high output compact PA cabs![/quote]

Wonder how the midget will sound with the compact under it as a P.A. Quite good I'd imagine. Some of the gear that you see DJ's bringing in to play big rooms is shocking, so I know it'd be better than 90% of the DJ rigs out there. Not as good as our 3K dynacord / EV P.A..... but probably more than enough for plenty of the rooms we play.

If you have decent EQ.... there's every chance it'll work great.

Compact on her own would sound a little less than Hi-Fi.

Let's be fair though! Most Home, car and head/earphone sound system has a couple of quirks that make them pretty bad reference monitors (odd behaviour around crossover freq., weak mids, boosted highs and lows . . . or worst of all. One note bass (where there is a severe bump where a sub resonates at almost any low notes))

Usually you can get decent sound out of them . . .

That's my understanding. Compact + Midget should be So - So (perhaps a little better than the solo Compact) but the Midget T would be far better for the sparklies as Mr. Foxen remarked.

Remember - the room won't be perfect either . . . It may be awesome!

I'd suggest it would be a stop gap effort and you'd only get away with it once or twice.
Depends how much they are paying for the wedding DJ spot..if it is next to nothing then you haven't got much to live up to,
if it is decent money, then do the job properly.

Depends what the P.A is capable of as well..

Like Mr Foxen says, you need a tweeter.
I've put a small church band through my MB 2x10 combo & it sounded good. It was 3 vocals, acoustic guitar, electro drumkit & either bass or another acoustic guitar.
It was a fairly small hall (@50 folk tops), so it wasn't cranked & it reproduced everything pretty good with no distortion or struggles. So go for it.

A few bass cab manufacturers suggest playing music through your cab at a reasonable volume for a few hours to break it in (I'm pretty sure it was an Ampeg booklet, though it might have been someone else)

Sounds interesting.
I did put a bit of music through the compact for the fun, but without a tweeter there was no way it was going to sound good. But, with the midget T on top it might sound good enough.

It's probably just a pie in the sky idea, it's just cos I'm sick of packing up our big band pa at the end of the night on my own.... all the others have gone home at that stage and I'm left to do the DJ'ing.

Our band system sounds extremely good with recorded music, it's probably a bit of overkill for what I'm doing.
I see guys come in after the band (if I'm not booked as DJ) and some of the systems they bring are laughable. It's rare to even see a sub. Even in big rooms to hundreds of people. They'll be BLASTING music through a pair of sub par tops, their amps peaking like crazy, with little or no bass and a horrible tinny sound. That's not in every case, but it happens often enough. Even guys with decent speakers can't seem to get a good sound most of the time.... I suspect very low bit rate MP3s, and cheap power amps / soundcards are to blame..... but that's a bit OT.

I love to get a good sound for the disco part of the night, I believe that people dance more easily, even if they don't realize there is a good sound..... it's subliminal. Also, I enjoy myself more!

I could probably DJ with just half of the P.A. in most rooms - that would be a 1000 watt dynacord sub and one 500 watt EV ZX4 pole mounted, would be plenty for most situations. But.... I just love the size and weight of the barefaced stuff so I'm still curious to see if it would work!

[quote name='Happy Jack' timestamp='1346834074' post='1793686']
I asked Alex about this last year - he doesn't recommend it. His cabs are designed for playing bass through.

I think he has plans to design Barefaced PA cabs in due course, and I imagine they'll be something a bit special.
[/quote]

I'd be very very interested in a barefaced PA, if it's as light as the bass stuff! I might email re using the stack as a PA, but if it's not a great idea then that's fair enough.

[quote name='xgsjx' timestamp='1346834185' post='1793690']
No reason why it shouldn't work & sound good. Bass gear is very similar to PA gear as we bassists have a full frequency range to cover.
[/quote]

This also makes sense though.

Quite a few crossed wires here!

Until you get into the realm of very expensive PA cabs, few will sound as good as a Big Baby T or Big Twin T for PA. A Midget T + Compact will sound better than typical PA cabs in some ways, worse in others. They'll be better than any el cheapo PA cabs in all respects. I wouldn't recommend buying our cabs for PA first and foremost but for as a secondary usage they'll be fine. Put the stack far enough from the dancefloor and you'll get away without elevating the Midget and it'll make the lack of stereo less obvious.

I've used my S12 as a replacement for 2 peavey 1x15 bass bins when we couldn't transport them due to lack of space in my car.
Powered the S12 from a separate amp with a feed from the mono/sub output from our Samson TXM 20 mixer.
Parked it in the middle of the stage at the front and, unsurprisingly, did a very good job.
Incidentally, I wasn't playing bass: I had my sound man's hat on that night.
If I had been playing bass then I wouldn't have given up the S12 for any reason. :)