Why become a member? ×

-

Jus Lukin

I just get tired of hearing negative stuff about these amps when my experience has been anything but and feel like a pretty lonely voice extolling the virtues so I'm bound to over-compensate. You are entitled to your opinion and your judgement call about whether or not to purchase one of these amps, but it is disappointing to see unsubstantiated blanket statements being bandied about. Sorry for the rather sarcastic and testy attempt to say that earlier.

FWIW I have the BA500 head and it's working fine. Having said that, it was only bought so I could use it at the odd gig where I wanted to hang around for a drink or several afterwards. So it's only been used half a dozen times. I'm not sure anything about it's reliability can be gleaned from that.

[quote name='neepheid' timestamp='1352469739' post='1863483']
I just get tired of hearing negative stuff about these amps when my experience has been anything but
[/quote]

As you of course know, positive experiences can't be extrapolated either.
We have to get an impression from the "data" that fora like BC can give us, and work from there. By large, the impression will do.

[quote name='neepheid' timestamp='1352469739' post='1863483']
Sorry for the rather sarcastic and testy attempt to say that earlier.
[/quote]

Class.

best,
bert

I've been using an Ibanez P500 head for a couple of years now, I did have a problem with the input gain circuit when it was just out of warranty, but a local tech sorted it for thirty quid, and (touch wood) its been fine since. Oh and it sounds excellent with my BFM cabs! :sun_bespectacled:

[quote name='andyjingram' timestamp='1352559209' post='1864617']
Whilst trawling the web on my hunt for small amps I noticed that the Harley Benton version is no longer available.
[/quote]

This one seems to be available:
[url="http://www.thomann.de/gb/harley_benton_ba500h.htm?sid=e4e17c634179083a0a361ad36cae2bae"]http://www.thomann.de/gb/harley_benton_ba500h.htm?sid=e4e17c634179083a0a361ad36cae2bae[/url]

Folks,

You're not going to believe this. I took delivery of a Promethean 3110 this morning from Thomann. Of course, it came with a 2-pin plug European power lead, so I used a new UK, standard 3-pin plug power lead.

Read the manual, fired up the amp and it all worked properly, as far as I could tell. Played for 45 mins while trying out different EQ settings, then had lunch. Fired it up again after lunch - oh dear. First, there was a crackling noise, then the amp lost volume, then the volume came and went randomly. I tried a different instrument lead, different power lead, different bass - all with the same result. Finally, I used my Eden E10 combo which worked perfectly as usual. So, looks like the Promethean's faulty. Going to return it to Thomann. Not sure wether I want a replacement now.

Steve

[quote name='wateroftyne' timestamp='1352733134' post='1866669']
Oh, FFS - what a nightmare.

This might sound partronising, but bear with me.

Does the mains lead sit tightly in the socket? I mean solid-as-a-rock? No wobble at all?

If not, shove it in really hard (baby!) until it locks. They're a Really snug fit.
[/quote]

OK - I'll try that. I have 2 mains leads so I'll try both and report back. Mutter, effing, $%@!...

OK - I've just re-tried both of my power leads, ensuring that they were well-and-truly pushed home into the power socket. Same result for both - crackle, volume coming and going, then silence. I've just emailed Thomann. Thing is, I'm now wondering whether I want another one, or something else.

Steve

Edited by solo4652

I thought [color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Thomann offered a 30 day money back guarantee on all their products.[/font][/color]
[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]It's printed on their packaging and advertised on the web site.[/font][/color]
[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]I suppose you're on your own after 30 days though.[/font][/color]

[quote name='solo4652' timestamp='1352733447' post='1866677']
OK - I've just re-tried both of my power leads, ensuring that they were well-and-truly pushed home into the power socket. Same result for both - crackle, volume coming and going, then silence. I've just emailed Thomann. Thing is, I'm now wondering whether I want another one, or something else.

Steve
[/quote]

Oh, man - how frustrating.

Ibanez missed a trick with these. If they'd sorted the QC out, they could have had a legendary bit of kit in their catalogue. When you get a good'un, they're THAT good.

That's a real shame!
I was actually considering maybe swapping my older version for the new one, even though its not as powerful, the eq section is a lot more along the lines of what I prefer, not a huge fan of graphic EQs...
Might hang fire for a bit me thinks.

Yeah - I'm well and truly p***ed-off this morning. I think I'll ask for a full refund and look out for a 2nd hand Minimark or Tecamp Puma, apart from the fact they'll still cost appreciably more than the Promethean. Or maybe I'll continue to take my GK MB500/Barefaced Compact rig to rehearsals.

Sorry to hijack this thread but,
I'm looking at getting a small combo for home use and wondered if you guys with the Promethean can tell me are the aux/mp3 - in and headphone outputs decent quality soundwise? I'd like something I would be to be able to playalong and practice songs. Also when you plug the headphones in does it disconnect the speaker output?

Thanks.

[quote name='Highfox' timestamp='1352814734' post='1867720']
Sorry to hijack this thread but,
I'm looking at getting a small combo for home use and wondered if you guys with the Promethean can tell me are the aux/mp3 - in and headphone outputs decent quality soundwise? I'd like something I would be to be able to playalong and practice songs. Also when you plug the headphones in does it disconnect the speaker output?

Thanks.
[/quote]

I quite often plug my Mac into the aux and use headphones to practice and as far as my ears can tell the quality is pretty darned good!

Eude

[quote name='eude' timestamp='1352816011' post='1867744']
I quite often plug my Mac into the aux and use headphones to practice and as far as my ears can tell the quality is pretty darned good!

Eude
[/quote]

Yip - it's fine. It makes for a great PA for playing an iPod through at garden parties, too...

I've not really followed these new Prometheans much, but just had a nose about and they look rather neat. Mind you, it's the first time I've seen an amp with a 'Phat' control. Now if they could do one with a 'Talent' control, I'd be sorted...

Edited by RandomBass

[quote name='Respector' timestamp='1353013786' post='1870610']
Not heard much about the RedSub on this thread so far, having just bought one, I haven't used it at a gig yet. Saturday should be its debut. Fingers crossed that it passes muster. I'm not getting rid of my Hartke just yet though. Will keep you all posted.
[/quote]

Matt, Neepheid has one, and is very VERY impressed with it, I think he actually replaced a Hartke head with it as it happens.
Like the majority of us Promethean/Red Sub/HB users, he's had no problems at all, people usually only tend to report problems, not awesomeness.
As far as I'm aware, I don't think I've heard of any reported problems about the Red Sub ones in particular, the design of the combo for that and the HB ones isn't quite as nice, IMO, but they do all the same tricks and a much cheaper price point.

[quote name='RandomBass' timestamp='1353056465' post='1870946']
I've not really followed these new Prometheans much, but just had a nose about and they look rather neat. Mind you, it's the first time I've seen an amp with a 'Phat' control. Now if they could do one with a 'Talent' control, I'd be sorted...
[/quote]

The older ones only have a "Vibe" control, I've never felt the need to be a bit more "vibey", whatever that means... :yarr:

Eude