Why become a member? ×

-

Jus Lukin

[quote name='Highfox' timestamp='1353075711' post='1871334']
I've just ordered one of the newer style Promethean's from Thomann, couldn't find the old 500watt type anywhere .. Any problems and it will go back always had a good service from Thomann.
[/quote]

Cool, looking forward to hearing what you think of it mate :)

[quote name='Faithless' timestamp='1353085286' post='1871529']
So how much ACTUALLY this Promethean P3310 thing weighs? Thomann says it's 12kg (which is acceptable), but official Ibanez site says 37.4lbs = ~17kg!!!

thanks
Laimis
[/quote]

I'm guessing that some info has been mixed up, I think that 17kg or 19kg's is the weight of the 3115! and the 3110 is 12kg (hopefully) lol.

Okay, it's RedSub report time. My BT5110 made its live debut last night and under difficult circumsatances, it shone.
Both my band (Addiction Lane) and the support act (Rogue Frequency) are loud rock bands and I shared the amp with their bass player. It easily coped with the support act who only have one geetar. My band is a 2 guitar line up and I pushed the amp a bit. Surprisingly, everyone said I could still be heard. Might need another cab though because it did struggle slightly with my Spector's low B string. Both bands were impressed with how much sound could come from a small box. Reliable so far... It also meant I could carry bass, amp and gig bag in one trip which saves my poor old back from even more abuse.

This is as good a place as any to ask this question. I'm more interested in the harley benton version of this. Mainly because my plan would be to use it as a back up, and for the occasional gig where transportation is an issue ie once in a blue moon. Has anyone out there used these amps extensively? Any issues with reliability from long term usage?

I was also looking at that B-stock one dude, and was thinking about taking the plunge! haha. If not, I may just keep an eye out for a 2nd hand one to get something supercheap.

Feel I better chip in to say I've got the HB head, not the combo, and its been great. I've been using it for gigs for the past couple of years paired with a BF Midget and its always surpassed my expectations. Its a very versatile amp tonally, and although its inherent tone is quite middy, once the color and contour controls are bought in you can totally dial the mids/top out and have a dub monster. The midget is a middy cab too but doesn't mind having more bass pushed to it, so I generally set the amp to Bass at 1 o'clock, bass boost engaged, Treble at 2 o'clock, EQ off (sometimes on with mid cut), and then use the contour control at 2 o'clock. It gives me a great deep but punchy tone that I really enjoy using. I've only pushed this amp to near max once at a gig in a huge cowshed, and it was still fine.
Reliability wise, all I can say is that I've used it for 2 years with gigs pretty much once a fortnight and its never missed a beat. Its also got a pretty solid chassis as I can sit on it during rehearsal and the box doesn't flex at all.
Great amp for the money. Mines already payed for itself I reckon.

[quote name='pbass67' timestamp='1353367539' post='1874412']
Feel I better chip in to say I've got the HB head, not the combo, and its been great. I've been using it for gigs for the past couple of years paired with a BF Midget and its always surpassed my expectations. Its a very versatile amp tonally, and although its inherent tone is quite middy, once the color and contour controls are bought in you can totally dial the mids/top out and have a dub monster. The midget is a middy cab too but doesn't mind having more bass pushed to it, so I generally set the amp to Bass at 1 o'clock, bass boost engaged, Treble at 2 o'clock, EQ off (sometimes on with mid cut), and then use the contour control at 2 o'clock. It gives me a great deep but punchy tone that I really enjoy using. I've only pushed this amp to near max once at a gig in a huge cowshed, and it was still fine.
Reliability wise, all I can say is that I've used it for 2 years with gigs pretty much once a fortnight and its never missed a beat. Its also got a pretty solid chassis as I can sit on it during rehearsal and the box doesn't flex at all.
Great amp for the money. Mines already payed for itself I reckon.
[/quote]

thats exactly what I wanted to hear! Cheers for that!

I gigged my Promethean a fair bit when I first got it and it kept up fine with a live drummer and guitard in a folky/rock context.
I've also not had any problems with it, whatsoever since I bought it, bar the gain knob getting a little crackly from lack of use.
Obviously my experience is only of my combo, but the Ibanez and all the "tribute versions ;)" are/were based on the same design, made in the same place, same production line, by the same people, so I imagine the build quality and quality control of the head, at least, will be very similar.

If anyone is seriously worried about the reliability, just buy one from somewhere where you can return it should it go faulty, these amps are definitely worth a punt!

Eude

My Promethean P3110 is now back at Thomann for repair or replacement. Just wondered if anybody else has got one (Highfox?) and how you're getting on with it? I need to decide quickly whether to accept a straight replacement or ask Thomann for something else. Trouble is, what would that be?

[quote name='solo4652' timestamp='1353661083' post='1877003']
My Promethean P3110 is now back at Thomann for repair or replacement. Just wondered if anybody else has got one (Highfox?) and how you're getting on with it? I need to decide quickly whether to accept a straight replacement or ask Thomann for something else. Trouble is, what would that be?
[/quote]

Hi.
Mine just turned up today :) I'll be giving it good test this weekend.
First impressions and a quick blast just to make sure it works are so far pretty good. Lighter and smaller than I was expecting it to be, output seems pretty punchy and focused, I'll report back once I have had more time with it.

For the 45 minutes mine was working properly, I thought the tone was pretty middy. The Phat knob is a mid-scoop control and I ended up with it at about half-way to scoop out some of the prominent mids that seemed to give quite a "barky" tone. All that was at home though, so it'll be different in a rehearsal room.

let us know how you get on with yours.

Steve

For what I got mine for I think it will suit the bill :) (home practice and maybe the odd acoustic type gig) I will certainly be trying the DI- out for some recording. My main rig will be used everywhere else.
A couple of hours of playing with it now and I'd rate it right alongside any of the quality heads I've tried coming through a 1x10 - 1x15.
For a 110 the cab sounds pretty focused and tight at the volumes I intend to use it at, I wouldn't attempt to try and use it with any rock/blues type band without an extension cab.
With a P bass and Ricky I have the settings pretty flat on the amp (the phat knob is way down at 9pm) and to my ears hardly colours the basses sounds at all... Just how I like it.
If it proves to be reliable I will certainly hang on to it.

Edited by Highfox

I've just taken delivery of another P3110. Thomann sent me a new one, rather than repair the old one. It's been going now for, let's see..., yep - 45 minutes. That's as long as the first one lasted, so maybe this one's going to be OK. I'm going to use it at home for practice for a few days before cranking it up at band rehearsal. Wish me luck.

Steve

• 1 month later...

I've been using a hb 5110 for a while at band rehearsals with two/three guitarists and a drummer who liked to pound his kit and never had trouble keeping up, with or without a 210 extension cab. Only thing I wish for is Thomann to start selling a decently priced and light 110 extension cab with tweeter that would match the combo better than the 210 (and be easier to carry around). If i had to sell off all my amps but one I'd keep the 5110

• 5 months later...

Is this topic still live? Oh well, the inevitable happened - I installed EMGs in my Spector Legend and blew the speaker in my REDSUB after 3 gigs! Really dubious about Gear4Music, so I installed an Eminence Legend 1x10. Sounds awesome (def recommended as an upgrade) and goes down to 47 hz. Hasn't been gigged yet though!