Why become a member? ×

-

Jus Lukin

I've been wondering the same thing and I'll admit it's been putting me off a little. OTH my mate uses a Promethean and has done at least 50 gigs with it; he absolutely swears by it. I've been using a Hartke 1x10 Kickback (currently also playing acoustic gigs with cajon) and TBH it's been great.

I had one of the HB 5110 10" combos. Compact, light and a good sound. Very loud for its size really. However, after about a day or so it refused to switch on. Sometimes it would power up about a minute or so after being switched on, sometimes not at all. So it went back.

Thomann have a very efficient returns process.

Cheers

Geoff

Yep - there does seem to be a few failures.

I had a problem with my Promethean (the original model)- the input jack went a bit wiggly causing to it to cut out. A tech sorted it for a few quid, putting a better jack in to stop it happening again. It's been fine ever since.

I can understand why people are reluctant to take a punt on them, but I'd encourage people to try. They're amazing little things.

The Promethean was on my wish list after trying WoT's out, but I got an unbelievable deal on a used PJB Briefcase that does everything I need in a small combo and has (so far) been uber reliable.

Been wondering about these too, want something just for rehearsals ( in a v.loud metal / rock band) so don`t have to cart my heavy peavey around all the time. Would a GK MB200 be loud enough through a Warwick 4x10 I wonder....???? The 500w on offer with the redsub seems a better deal,but......

[quote][color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]I wouldn't use a Promethean for rehearsing with a loud metal band - or any small combo, for that matter.[/font][/color][/quote]

Sorry, I meant only the head rather than the combo version,I`d still use the 4x10 as it`s on castors so easy to move about!!!

Edited by sykilz

• 3 weeks later...

i just bought a harley benton 5110, only arrived this morning, so i cant yet comment on long term reliability.
but im delighted with the sound... hard, clear, precise, punchy, loud and growling.... (i just posted my thoughts on the thread "another promethean clone".)
theres a few posts about reliability issues, but i think theres failures with everything... ive never had an amp without some issue or another at some point! my first ever amp burst into flames!!
maybe the harley will bizz out or maybe it wont... its down to luck. and anything you buy can fail... nothing has 100% reliability. thomann have a good returns policy and a long warrantee, so im not too worried.
i think its more likely that people on these threads report failures... so you get a bias towards negative views. fewer people report that "everything is fine"... but miffed customers will report failures or dissatisfaction.
i might end up eating my words in time, but for now im very happy. and not too worried...

I am deliriously happy with my RedSub 5110 combo. I have used it for gigs, in the combo for quiet gigs and out into my Zoot cab for bigger stuff. I have used it in the combo at a band practice against a voice, guitar, keyboard, saxophone, trombone and drums and it has made itself heard (and I had to drive it quite hard). I have used it outdoors. I have used it to amplify my laptop when we're watching films. I've had it since March and it has never let me down.

There's your glowing report.

hi neephide... *pleased you posted some praise to counter the negative-reporting bias* :) ... but curious as to why you got the redsub instead of the harley... theyre identical (apart from the red paint... get pics up side by side to compare; even the corner-trim is the same), but the redsub is considerably more expensive.
im glad youre as pleased with it as i am with the harley :-)... just curious about what swayed your decision to the redsub? (apart from the red bits, which deffo do look v.cool!)

(re glowing reports for the harley... see my post on the "another promethean clone" thread... i think this should equate to a glowing report on the redsub too!)

Simple reason is Thomann were out of stock of the HB when I wanted it and couldn't commit to a date when new stock would arrive. Also got an extended 5 year warranty with the RedSub for not much extra. The red speaker is cool, but was neither here nor there in the decision :)

[i]I bought a Harley Benton BA5110C bass combo in June of this year. It has been to the practice room once and gigged only once.[/i]
[i]Last week,after 20 minutes use , I heard a click sound and it went off. I left it for a short while and it came back on for another 20 minutes. Then the same thing happened again. This happened 4 more times.Now it works when it feels like it [/i]
[i]I asked thomann for my money back but they wont move.Although they have offered to repair it. To late as i am so disappointed and have lost confidence in the product. I wish i had saved a little longer and bought something like the Mark bass.[/i]
[i] i should have remembered the old saying (you get what you pay for)[/i]

• 1 month later...

Hi received a new combo back from thomann 10 days ago.
I suppose that’s the downside of buying things from overseas. I was left without any amp for over a month I wasn’t happy at all as we had gigs to cover. Luckily I borrowed a mate’s amp. I did suggest a temp replacement to thomanns but to no avail.
Even though I am fairly happy with the sound of the amp after this experience I wouldn’t buy such a big item like this from abroad again.

Sfar as I know they're all made by Beta Three.

My Beta Aivin 35W combo (AFAIK exactly the same as the Harley Benton HBW-35, http://www.thomann.de/gb/harley_benton_hbw35.htm ) has worked almost* perfectly for a year, and I love both its sound and its functionality.
In fact I love the whole little thing.

*) "Almost" means: when it's on but not used, once every fifteen minutes or so, it emits a soft fart tone. I suppose this is a circuitry design flaw, and not a production fault.

Based on that great but not perfect experience, I've just ordered a Harley Benton 110W that a friend of mine is gonna borrow (she'll start playing bass tomorrow if the gods are with us).

best,
bert

[quote name='BassTractor' timestamp='1352242387' post='1860740']
Sfar as I know they're all made by Beta Three.

My Beta Aivin 35W combo (AFAIK exactly the same as the Harley Benton HBW-35, [url="http://www.thomann.de/gb/harley_benton_hbw35.htm"]http://www.thomann.d...enton_hbw35.htm[/url] ) has worked almost* perfectly for a year, and I love both its sound and its functionality.
In fact I love the whole little thing.

*) "Almost" means: when it's on but not used, once every fifteen minutes or so, it emits a soft fart tone. I suppose this is a circuitry design flaw, and not a production fault.

Based on that great but not perfect experience, I've just ordered a Harley Benton 110W that a friend of mine is gonna borrow (she'll start playing bass tomorrow if the gods are with us).

best,
bert
[/quote]thats what mine did if your prepared to wait a good while i would send it back

[quote name='lockpicker1969' timestamp='1352315043' post='1861572']
thats what mine did if your prepared to wait a good while i would send it back
[/quote]

Thanks for the heads up.
Yes, I did go back to the shop with it, and they did say it wasn't acceptable. But if they can't repair it, I'd rather have it back than get my money back. Really love the little rascal.
In case, I'll just have to learn to play all the time and forget the nonsense people spew out about "the magic is in the pauses" and "music has to breathe". Bah! ;)

best,
bert