Why become a member? ×

Blackpool Illuminations Switch On 2012

LiamPodmore

Anyone go to this?

I've just got back from it myself and i can actually say i was quite impressed with a lot of the acts, even Rick Astley was good. I must say though, i was quite dissapointed at the fact that musically, only Lawson was completely live. The rest played to backing tracks as normal, and then Scouting For Girls and The Noisettes both mimed all the instrumental stuff, which is dissapointing if you ask me.

All in all, not a bad night for free though.

Liam

Edited by LiamPodmore

Didn't see the illuminations, but I passed through there on the way back from a second division hoofball match the other Saturday.

Having never been there on holiday, only to the Pleasure Beach during the day - and at the arse end of the holiday season too, I had no idea what to expect. It was an eye opener - I've never seen such a high mismatch between the acres of female flesh waddling along the mile, and the amount, and 'snugness', of material covering it. Plenty of what I would call 'Dracula girls', as in - they look in the mirror and can't possibly have seen their own reflection, or they wouldn't have gone out. One girl was wearing a pair of pvc jeans and they were so tight, and her cellulite so pronounced, that her thighs looked like someone had filled a coupe of bin liners with frog spawn, under pressure. And rough? Holy cow - the Badger's arse would have come a very poor last place in a 'relative coarseness' competition.

I know that some of the outfits may have been 'ironic', for hen do's etc., but it was desperately sad to see groups of young girls where not one was 'height/weight' proportionate and heroically out on the piss too (shitfaced at 6 p.m.) No wonder statistics suggest that longevity is looking likely to take a fall, as this crop of twenty somethings age - due to liver and heart problems, caused by excessive boozing and crap diet.

Don't get me wrong - I'm a fat b*stard, and I understand how hard it can be to lay off the pies, but I used to be the exception when I was 20 - not the common body shape. We seem to have a generation now - and particularly the girls, where the thin one is the odd one out! If they are happy - then good on them, but it just felt very sad to me - with too much vodka driven bravura masking some deeply unhappy souls.