Why become a member? ×

Band kicked me out

BassHavoc

My band, which I helped form almost 3 years ago, had been going through a bit of a dry spell (no gigs for several months) Every member had focusing on other things like earning money to help fund our first major UK tour and caring for sick relatives but we all agreed to hit the road hard come Autumn/winter. But behind my back they had hidden from me that we had been approached by a record label with some kind of deal on the condition, and I quote "They kicked out the overweight bassist"

So four of my closest friends decided to stab me in the back for a shot at the big time. But worst of all they are lying to the fans and my friends by saying I left to focus on other things and that I wasn't committed to the band!

Pissed off to say the least but I'm curious if anyone in Basschat land has had a similar experience.

Sorry to hear that chap.

Not had it yet - though am expecting something similar with one (could be wrong) - but I did spend a few days chuckling at the dirty washing that got aired on FB when the funky band my drummer is with ditched their female vocalist.. Top tip. - Don't take it out on FB, it does noone any good, even if it makes you feel better at the time. Tell anyone who asks you what went on if you like, just dont make a huge fuss on social network sites - IMO obviously

Edited by WalMan

That's a rough deal and I can empathise mate.

It can't be much of a deal if they are making these demands before signing, if it was about the music ( which it should be) then it wouldn't matter. Trouble is the business if full of flakey f***wits who think image and other such issue matter, it doesn't, they just think it does.

You were there for the music and for that you should be saluted.

f*** em and move on ;-)

It could e the best thing that happened in the situation, you really don't know what's around the corner.

Dust yourself off and seek your next outlet mate.

I've left plenty of bands before, but have never been kicked out of one, that's a really tough break BassHavoc. :(

Like Walman says above though, don't air your grievances on sites like FB where your regular fans can see it - these things have a tendency to end up as nothing more than a public slagging match and never turn out for the best, for either party.

On the odd occasions where people have asked me why I've left a band I just cite 'musical differences'.
If really pushed I might go as far as saying 'I'm musical, the rest of them were different'. ;)

There's plenty of big people in music, just not bullshit pop music. Pavarotti and meat loaf were not waifs and the big guy in bowling for soup should if anything be a role model to show people you can be the cool one in the band too! I'm not slim but would more likely of been kicked out for being a sh*t player instead! If they have gone along with it I'd say your best off out of it before it goes tits up?

Edited by stingrayPete1977

[quote name='BassTractor' timestamp='1346449765' post='1789531']
That sucks big time.
Seems to me they are not worth your time.
Good luck dealing with this!

That said, you [b]are[/b] overweight and badly need a litte Genz-Benz amp and two Barefaced cabs. ;)

best,
bert
[/quote]

:lol: brilliant, my combined gear and bass body mass index is pretty good, more pies please!

I've got enough dodgy stories about them to fill several books haha! StingrayPete pointed out about the sh*t player thing, not to sound big headed or anything but I constantly get complemented on my playing. Even the producer of our first album said I'm as good as some big names in metal like Trivium and Machine Head who he has worked with in the past.

Gub I won't give you the full name but avoid bands with Havoc in their name ;)

sorry to hear that but i had the same experience in 1990 and im still bitter about it cos it was the singer that wanted rid of me and it was the singer that the record companies didnt like! lets face it Stu Hamm isnt slim line and it hasnt done him any harm, you werent in a boy band were you?

Being in a band with people who would do this to you? No thanks, you're better off without them. I know it probably still smarts, but it sounds like you've had a lucky escape; you could have been signed to a label and been on tour with these twats i.e. heavily in debt and obligated to live at really close quarters with them.

dude, thats rough. but heres what i think. if any record label is demanding that members leave or join based on their weight (lets not forget, overweight CAN also be good-looking, just not slim) they are being used as a money making tool. obviously, you and your band knew you guys were good together, but these guys, who you thought were your friends, got one small-time offer, lost sight of what they had created, and drunk on possibilities, did what the hitler from the label told them too. at the end of the day, it will be their loss. if you guys had continued without a label, it was possible that you would have gotten a good following eventually. anything they get now will be manufactured to fit into the ultra-stylish music scene of today, which means, marketable good looks, and little talent. once they stop making money, the label will throw them out like yesterdays newspaper. i know it is hard, but take this one on the chin, and look onwards. start a band with people who aren't so short sighted, and have as much of a distain for the modern music industry as you now should have. only accept contracts on your terms!!!!