Why become a member? ×

bass solo over stella by starlight

yamahabass

hey..
just getting back into playing and practising and posting up my progress in a youtube vid.
Using a jap fender jazz 62' with dimazio ultra jazz, badass and ultralites
hope u enjoy :D
cheers!
[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j-An-jQBCoM[/media]

Edited by yamahabass

You need to pace youself more. Start somewhere and go somewhere else. Tell a story, as Lester Young said. You hit the ground running with your best licks and them just played some stuff that bore little relationship with what had gone before or what was going on around you. You can obviously play, now you just need to play something that matters.

I am being harsh. Your stuff is better than most of the stuff on here by a country mile but you could be a lot better if you focussed on the music and not on the instrument. The secret is not to impress but to express. Try again and play about 40% less. Actually, if you want to really try something difficult as an exercise, try and play a meaningful solo with only eighth notes, no sixteenths. Or try something like only playing a maximum of 7 notes a bar of any note value.

Again - as per your other video 'yamahabass'

As requested by PM for my benefit and others:

Impressive playing you've posted up there.

This is something I've started to try getting into as well.

Can I ask what scales / chord tones / substitutions you are visualising / thought processes / thinking about on the neck when you are playing?

Are you mentally thinking to outline / connect each chord change?
Are you thinking anything in terms of chord subs etc?

[quote name='bagsieblue' timestamp='1346963035' post='1795503']
Again - as per your other video 'yamahabass'

As requested by PM for my benefit and others:

Impressive playing you've posted up there.

This is something I've started to try getting into as well.

Can I ask what scales / chord tones / substitutions you are visualising / thought processes / thinking about on the neck when you are playing?

[/quote]

I would be interested too!

hi
thx for your interest! :)

Ok well thats an easy question to answer: i use all the things you have mentioned, starting from Major harmony to Minor (harmonic and melodic) i use the scales and modes and chords as a map in my mind so that i can build shapes over those shapes/scales.
i like bebop so if you look at that concept you will notice that it adds one extra chromatic note , there are quite a few books written about this, but mark levin covers most in the 'jazz theory book'

not really outline but exploit the shapes and sounds that go with them. for example you can see on your fretboard all the scales and modes, chords you practise and then say if you have a line or shape or lick , you can see how it works harmonically. thats why you have to learn all your scales and modes and chords! :D

yes, if i have time in the solo and i play it through a few times i can start approaching a chord sequnce from a different place, one thing i love to do is instead of playing the 2 chord ( dorian mode or minor 7th chord) i think of it as a VI chord (aerolian and from there i can even stack underneath a phyrigian mode, (III chord ,minor 7th b9 ) or then go next to it and play a IV chord (lydian) because there are shapes that fit within those modes (chord scales). also i am trying to get away from modes, and play off the chords more, like real beboppers did, but thats another story :gas:

i hope that answers some questions, thats just how i approach things. Im probably wrong about most things so dont take everyting i say as gospel.
my main advice is listen to players and find out how you want to sound, then work out how to arrive to sound like that. if you put the work in then you will find it obvious how a particular player is pulling their way of playing off. but everyone has their own approach.
for example most players prefer melodic minor for minor II-V's but i prefer using harmonic minor, i can use melodic but what i like the sound and shapes that comes from the harmonic.
check out Carol Kay for some jazz theory, she really knows her stuff!
well thx for taing the time to listen, and let me know f you need anymore advice, i will try my best to help out!

Edited by yamahabass

[quote name='Bilbo' timestamp='1346258439' post='1787147']
You need to pace youself more. Start somewhere and go somewhere else. Tell a story, as Lester Young said. You hit the ground running with your best licks and them just played some stuff that bore little relationship with what had gone before or what was going on around you. You can obviously play, now you just need to play something that matters.

I am being harsh. Your stuff is better than most of the stuff on here by a country mile but you could be a lot better if you focussed on the music and not on the instrument. The secret is not to impress but to express. Try again and play about 40% less. Actually, if you want to really try something difficult as an exercise, try and play a meaningful solo with only eighth notes, no sixteenths. Or try something like only playing a maximum of 7 notes a bar of any note value.
[/quote]

really really good points

i am in awe of your playing/technique and tone

but as someone once said .............. its the notes you leave out that matter................. so i agree with bilbo's comments

i particularly like the line - The secret is not to impress but to express.

this is probably an age thing

when you are young you are into technique and impressing

[quote name='gareth' timestamp='1346979404' post='1795702']
really really good points

i am in awe of your playing/technique and tone

but as someone once said .............. its the notes you leave out that matter................. so i agree with bilbo's comments

i particularly like the line - The secret is not to impress but to express.

this is probably an age thing

when you are young you are into technique and impressing
[/quote]
haha i wish i ws young, im 37!
but i work on the building site so its a kind of escape, sometimes im feeling stressed after a hard day and thats normally when i play the bass to chill me out a bit ;)

• 1 month later...

This is really funny. I played a DJ's private birthday party with London Zulu tonight. I bumped into a bassist and we had a cracking chat about bass He was a really cool geezer and great to hang about with .. I asked if he was a Basschat member. He was, he's the OP, yamahabass :D This has happened to me a few times but never after I'd posted that I'd rather they make love to me rather than rape me :lol: (see my post above)

Joe Goose, great to meet you man, hope to catch you at the Mau Mau gig on Dec 7, I probably owe you a beer :lol:

Edited by silddx

[quote name='yamahabass' timestamp='1346969967' post='1795625']
[b]my main advice is listen to players and find out how you want to sound, then work out how to arrive to sound like that. if you put the work in then you will find it obvious how a particular player is pulling their way of playing off. but everyone has their own approach.[/b]

[/quote]

This is absolutely the key for me, it's how I approach music, and the more you play and compose, the more you become true to yourself. It's a reflection of your influences and sounds that give you pleasure, but it's all mashed by your personality.

Edited by silddx

[quote name='silddx' timestamp='1351997818' post='1857733']
This is really funny. I played a DJ's private birthday party with London Zulu tonight. I bumped into a bassist and we had a cracking chat about bass He was a really cool geezer and great to hang about with .. I asked if he was a Basschat member. He was, he's the OP, yamahabass :D [/quote]

Ha ha , brilliant! Gotta love Basschat for that kinda thing :)

Can't really comment on the video other than to say your playing is WAY out of my league, and so I'll defer to the greater knowledge of those above to give you pointers. It sounds good to me; a very impressive pace and great skills whether rushed or not.