Why become a member? ×

Songs that are now more familiar as jam night covers.....

stingrayPete1977

Whenever I play these two songs I get funny looks off the rest off the assembled players as if I dont know the song, I am merely waiting for the bass line to start!

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=siMFORx8uO8[/media]
Most jam night versions start with everyone playing the guitar part and so it continues for about 45 mins :lol: the bass only plays the chorus parts and the bit that goes wrong obviously.

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w5lVUaLeD14[/media]
And this one where the bass just thumps along for the first 16 bars or so until it picks up yet most covers start at full tilt with no where to go from there.

What others are there that get other people's goats?

I must be guilty of doing similar things to other songs, I am not saying I am a hero just sayin'. What I think I am getting at is some versions of songs are more familiar to me played like this than the original record now. In a similar way I have played the same songs with a couple of bands that many times that our way sounds right and the record sounds wrong. TBF our live version of Ruby by the Kaiser Chiefs was better than theirs but that was not hard :lol:

Edited by stingrayPete1977

[quote name='JimBobTTD' timestamp='1345910217' post='1783040']
Smoke on the Water is another one. I feel people looking at me, wondering why I am not playing. I feel terrible when playing such a cliché, so I don't need that extra bit of humiliation!
[/quote]
[quote name='rob hayward' timestamp='1345910228' post='1783041']
mustang sally. fecking hate this tune and I'm a soul kind of bloke. rubbish. it's 12 bar blues. yawns.
[/quote]
See I dont know the 'proper' version very well of either of those so I would be guilty as charged of ruining both of them at a jam. :)

Edited by stingrayPete1977

Lol sooooo many that I learned by playing along in a house band at an open mic that I didn't hear the originals for ages after (many I still haven't) mostly when I do I tend to prefer my version lol ;)
There was one by the lot that did sex on fire where our version was lovely, heard the original and hated it.
That's how I learned tunes like 'Sir Duke' just playing along and figuring it out. ( I did go have a listen to that one though!)

Edited by gafbass02

[quote name='JTUK' timestamp='1345912190' post='1783080']
Its a jam...you jam it..
[/quote]
I am familiar with the concept, I am not asking how it started. I am just curious of other peoples examples of songs like Gafbass says he learnt without ever hearing the original. I did the same with loads of old blues songs, sometimes they pop up on something like Heartbeat but it takes ages for it to click. (yes I watch Heartbeat, I like old cars alright :D )

For extended/Jam versions of all All Right Now I tend to do the chorus only thing up to big guitar solo, after that its gloves off. There are a load of things can do during the chorus and the verse beyond the original.

Smoke on the Water: Most punters think the bass line is the same as the main riff, where as we know that it only follows the main riff for a few bars towards the end, so even if you play the original punters will probably think you've got it wrong!

I think what I'm trying to say is, as someone else has said already, "It's a jam: Jam it". Make them your own - take them where you want to go.

As for Mustang Sally - It's very trendy to be a musical snob about it, but a song that's still being played regularly after 45 years cannot be all bad.

All three are slightly clichéd, but that's because they are cracking good songs.

A few weeks ago I got bollocked by an uppity little sax player (must have been all of 22 years old) for playing the wrong bass line in 'Sweet Home Chicago'.
I asked, politely, what was the right version and was told forcibly it was as played at Claptons Crossroads Festival a few years ago ".......haven't you got the DVD?".
I bit my tongue, took a sip of IPA and explained calmly that this song was over 80 years old to my knowledge and had been played by everyone and their mothers and their dogs all over the world for eons (including me since 1965) and there wasn't any set bass line/groove/rhythm - this is a jam.
I was then told to go forth and multiply (which I did rapidly) and if the numpty ever appears within reach again I may have yet another dent on my well worn Pbass.

[quote name='Jazzneck' timestamp='1346015873' post='1784207']
A few weeks ago I got bollocked by an uppity little sax player (must have been all of 22 years old) for playing the wrong bass line in 'Sweet Home Chicago'.
I asked, politely, what was the right version and was told forcibly it was as played at Claptons Crossroads Festival a few years ago ".......haven't you got the DVD?".
I bit my tongue, took a sip of IPA and explained calmly that this song was over 80 years old to my knowledge and had been played by everyone and their mothers and their dogs all over the world for eons (including me since 1965) and there wasn't any set bass line/groove/rhythm - this is a jam.
I was then told to go forth and multiply (which I did rapidly) and if the numpty ever appears within reach again I may have yet another dent on my well worn Pbass.
[/quote]

This made me chuckle.
I have had smilar experiences at jam nights.

I once dared deviate from a walking bass line in some nameless ancient 12 bar.........

Sadly, my reaction got me barred from the establishment :(

[quote name='Doddy' timestamp='1346016573' post='1784224']
No it isn't.

It's a 24 bar phrase not 12.
[/quote]
Blimey Paul I have not seen you around for ages, are you well?

[quote name='Blademan_98' timestamp='1346049028' post='1784373']
This made me chuckle.
I have had smilar experiences at jam nights.

I once dared deviate from a walking bass line in some nameless ancient 12 bar.........

Sadly, my reaction got me barred from the establishment :(
[/quote]

My old regular jam night had a Clapton rip off guy who was very good but the chilling glares you would get should you decide to play it faster, funkier, slower or rockier than the live at somewhere or other DVD he had learnt it all from made it too much of a chore for me, the harp player stormed off the stage unplugging all his gear during the performance the last time he was there because this claptophile shook his head at him! :lol: