Why become a member? ×

The Cure BBC3 Reading

rubis

just watched some of the show on iplayer and the same thing stuck me as when i saw them on telly a year or too ago..

speed. up. the. songs.

everything is played slightly too slow....c'mon chaps, get lively (well, as lively as the cure should be !)

Edited by ahpook

I 'found' the cure as an early teen when you think you are deeper than you really are and spend your time relating to songs like 'from the edge of the deep green sea'!!! obviously i learnt quickly to just enjoy music for being music but i have always held a special place in my heart for the cure and watched them live throughout the 90s..i stopped at growing my own ragdoll edward scissor hand barnet though.
Just recently id revisited all my cure albums as wanted to replicate simon gallups faith period bass sound. Ended up uploading my fav 167 tracks onto my iphone and that includes the amazing lives albums concert and show....i also sat down and watched cure in orange and show a couple of weeks ago....and that emphasised what only a few are whispering, this wasnt a great cure performance.
They really do lack energy/character and dont sound any grander than when they toured as a four piece. The current line up is really lacklustre and though professional, reeve is just replicating perry bamontes guitar parts and perrys playing style and riff approaches were key to a cure sound that also imcluded the fender vi robert smith used to play. Reeve just doesnt sit right as a cure member.....plus seems to emphasise the cures age.
Simon gallup on bass was good as always but his current look and stance made him look like he had been 'created' by tim burton.
And some else said it was all just a bit dull....probably saved by such a strong back catalogue

[quote name='Raggy' timestamp='1345888981' post='1782747']
Thoroughly enjoyed it. Our guitard has just picked up one of those Robert smith schecters. Sounds quite good, looks quite ugly. Not a patch on his tele's though.
[/quote]

Shhhhh don't say that, he used it last night and was proud as anything of it.

[quote name='BluRay' timestamp='1345992772' post='1783869']
Probably couldn't bring himself to dress up like a 17 year old goth. Good for him! :lol:
[/quote]

If you are playing in a band with a particular "image" you should make an effort to fit in though, or give the gig to someone who will.

According to Smith's recent interview, Reeves is the only one who can play and replicate Porl Thompson's guitar part ( former and long guitar Cure player, before Bamonte replaced ( with a diiferent sound, technique and inspiration ) him in 93 ).
Plus, Reeves recorded the song Wrong Number with Smith under the name The Cure in the 2000's...They met each other during Bowie's 50 anniversary gig in NY...

Edited by Castagné