Why become a member? ×

Advice Please

Thomas Lieberman

I play in numerous bands, and have a Stagg electric upright 'stick' bass (great for the boogie woogie and blues), a G&L (awesome for rock and covers) and a good cheapie yamaha (for the disco dance stuff).
Depending on the size of the venue (usually not big) I use my Peavey 112 twin ported combo or an Ashdown 400w top with an Ashdown 4 x 10 cab, (which is great but big and old)
I am looking to replace my amps/cabs with a 'one for all' type, (head & cab) ideally at least 400w, and obviously not too big in size.
Was looking at the 'Ampeg Portaflex PF-500 Bass Amp & 210 Cab' around £750.
Prefer the 2x10 rather than the 1x15, simply because its got more surface area and projection.
I know what you are all going to say, 'keep the 4x10 and top, its got 40" projection' but it weighs a ton and its huge and im old ha ha.
Is there anyone out there that has a similar set up and can give me some advice or is there something around smaller and better value for £750.

Thomas Lieberman

The 1x15 has slightly more surface area than the 2x10.

For £750 I'd look for a good 2x10 or 2x12 & get a decent amp (Markbass would be my recommendation).
If you're willing to go 2nd hand, then there's plenty of things to be had.

I'd get rid of the 4x10 as it's got poor dispersion (compared to a 1x15 or vertical 2x10). Barefaced cabs are worth a look.

I think Lozz is returning to that Ampeg set up after going through a bunch of other combinations of amps/cabs, so maybe he'll chip in.

If you're hoping that the 210 plus the 500w amp is going to match the Ashdown/410 combo for volume you might be disappointed though. I don't know the relative efficiencies of the drivers in those cabs, but I'd expect them to be pretty similar. Given that, the 210 will be less capable of moving the same amount of air as the 410 and you might be looking at getting another 210 for those bigger gigs.

[quote name='Musky' timestamp='1345660449' post='1780225']
I think Lozz is returning to that Ampeg set up after going through a bunch of other combinations of amps/cabs, so maybe he'll chip in.

If you're hoping that the 210 plus the 500w amp is going to match the Ashdown/410 combo for volume you might be disappointed though. I don't know the relative efficiencies of the drivers in those cabs, but I'd expect them to be pretty similar. Given that, the 210 will be less capable of moving the same amount of air as the 410 and you might be looking at getting another 210 for those bigger gigs.
[/quote]

I am returning to the PF500, great amp, but am pairing it with the new PF410HLF (73lbs). The pair can be picked up for £800ish. However, Andertons are doing a deal with 20% off of either the 210 or 115, when you buy the PF500. Both of these cabs are about 50lbs.

When I bought my first PF500, I tried it with the PF210, and they sounded great together, but 300 watts into a 210, depends on the band as to whether that would be enough. Certainly loud enough, but depth-wise?