Why become a member? ×

Spectors?!

cocco

[quote name='JD1' timestamp='1345787530' post='1781471']
I just think Spectors are very versatile and they are great for cutting through a dense mix. They are well built and comfortable to play (although my Euro is on the heavy side). The necks are slightly chunky (more P than J) but not excessively so and as a result extremely stable.
[/quote]
I just got my first 5 stringer. A 2nd hand bog standard 2001 Korean NS2000. Unsurprisingly it looks sounds and plays like a Spector-by that I mean with a Spector you know what your getting, a tried and tested design and great all rounder. The necks are a bit thicker than some other brands, as I noticed when picking up my 5 string but its important [u]not[/u] to think that neck thickness means that the guitar is more difficult or slower to play as this isn't the case. My 4 stringer in particilar plays like butter and that is more of a personal thing.

Edited by Pinball

My 98 NS5CR has a fairly thick neck and is slightly brighter (and growlier) and its incredibly comfortable - no hand cramps. The 2000 NS5CR has a thinner neck, the bass is warmer sounding (because the neck is slightly less stiff, I think) and I'm stuck between the two.

I have and have had a number of Spectors...Most of the euro necks are the same size and feel. Some are clubby. My favorite thus far is the Doug Wimbish signature model BECAUSE of the neck profile....it feels like a 70's jazz....I have 2 of these basses and some others as well. I can make them go from the Spector snarl to almost Wal like when I run 35-95 gauge strings on them. Over the years I have had all kinds of different basses and these make it for me....My signature line below will tell you the whole story...

I have owned approx 25 Spectors over the years and currently have 15+ in my arsenal. From Legend 4X Classics to NS2000's to Rex's to ReBops to Euros/EuroLX's and full US NS2s and NONE of them have ever let me down. Supreme workmanship, quality control and of course TONE! Imho NOTHING sounds as good as or cuts through like a Spector and they will always be my go-to bass of choice :)

A quick correction - TomRichards - the US basses come with the stunning Spector Hazlab preamp as standard NOT the Obp...

Edited by cetera

[quote name='cetera' timestamp='1345910095' post='1783037']
A quick correction - TomRichards - the US basses come with the stunning Spector Hazlab preamp as standard NOT the Obp...
[/quote]

I think the US bolt-on models have the Aguilar preamp as standard.

[quote name='RhysP' timestamp='1345917072' post='1783154']
I think the US bolt-on models have the Aguilar preamp as standard.
[/quote]

That is correct. However, the legendary NS2 series for which Spector is most well known is powered by the Spector Hazlab circuit. :)

• 2 months later...

I have the Bubinga Spector Legend 5 which I absolutely love. After my prized Status was stolen many years ago, I swore that I'd never get another expensive bass again.

The Spec is the only budget bass I've found that doesn't make me miss my Status. Playability is sweeeeet and the sound is fine as well. Unless I come into some serious dosh, this may well be my last bass!

Got a couple of EMGs lying around beggin to be installed as well...

I had an 80's NS2 with the hazlabs circuit, and it was fabulous, really grunty, throaty honk, great bass. I also had a couple of Euro 4LXs and they were fantastic too. Beautiful build and ergonomics, and tone to die for.

The only one that I didn't quite get on with was a Euro 5. Same quality of build, but it was so "in your face" tonally with the tone pump on that one, that I just couldn't dial in the tone I wanted. It was the non adjustable EQ version, maybe that was the problem, don't know.

I've always thought of Spectors as kind of like, riding a rodeo bull. You just don't know how long you can hang on before it throws you off.

Spectors . I want a Spector . The problem is the only one I would be happy with is the full spec U.S.A model , and they are pretty pricey and hard to get hold of , to say the least. On the subject of Spectors , I have it on good authority that Geddy Lee has recently purchased one and has been playing it quite a bit . Fact.

Edited by Dingus

[quote name='Gust0o' timestamp='1345657579' post='1780170']
Hmm... Anyone near York with one of these slim necks?
[/quote]

I'm at Roman Baths on 1st December if u wanna pop down and give my a go dude? Got a Legend Custom 5, the necks are so easy to play, definitely one of the better basses I've owned :)

I'd love to have a chance at trying out a Spector. Alex Webster of Cannibal Corpse and MANY others I see and hear wielding them get phenomenal tone and once they get one, they never change to another bass again.
But the Euro series is too right for my blood currently. I have looked into the Legend but I'm not sure it'd be wise to compare as they have the Tone Pump jr. (easy to swap as I've installed these on my non-Spector basses) and EMG Hz, which are passive. So nothing like the real deal...and the dot inlays look bland in comparison.
BUT, I would love to try one sometime.
If I didn't love the LTD F-series as much as I do I'd be tempted by a 5-string Legend that's up for sale on here somewhere...It's also in a pleasing colour. :-P