Why become a member? ×

Spectors?!

cocco

So Spector basses, they've caught my eye recently, especially the matte black euro 4 on bass direct. What can these basses do? What are the necks like? How organic does the tone pump really sound? Is it worth buying the euro when the spectorcores look so good? Obviously they play pretty well. Any info would be greatly appreciated. I know we have one or two fans in our ranks.

I can only comment from my experience playing Legend Classics and customs. I love them because they are so great to handle. Mine are Korean made, built to a high standard and sound good. The thing that is outstanding for me is the Spector 3d curved body shape and neck profile. When something feels right it makes you reach for it all the time. I look forward to trying more of them in years to come.

My adivice is to try a few and see what you think. Any with that fine sculpted touchy feely body do it for me!

My favourite is relatively cheap and basic, a 2004-06, cherry red bolt on neck Legend, with thin EMG-hz.s. It is tuned down to B,E,A,D. I got it in a trade on this forum.

Note: I'm in the process of getting my first 5 stringer, a 2001 Korean NS2000 5, so may be able to report on that in a week or so.

Edited by Pinball

I only own a Korean-made Spector, but it was a purchase that was decided as soon as I picked up the bass. I love the neck on it, it's really slim and I found it really easy to play. Plus, for a passive bass, it had a great sound and had a strong output. A European or American made one is definitely on my list of dream basses. :)

I had a Czech NS2J, one of the 2008 limited editions - and it was a very nice bass!

It's a bit of a niche model amidst the more traditional Spectors, in that it had twin EMG Jazz pick-ups and no tone-pump - but was superbly well built and played exceedingly well. The neck was slightly clubbish, leaving me playing more with finger style than my traditional pick (which, at the time made more of a difference); which was my only gripe.

That neck could have just been that particular model, so I would continue to seek opinions - Spector people, are there slimmer necks?

I've not tried others, but wouldn't hesitate to from what I saw.

I have a Euro 5LX that I bought largely out of curiosity & it immediately become my number one bass - I absolutely love it.
Everything about it is perfect for me; the string spacing, neck profile, body shape & sound couldn't be more suited to me if I'd had it specially built for me.

I had tried a number of five string basses & had pretty much decided they weren't for me until I played the Spector, now I can't imagine playing anything else - my four string Zons haven't seen the light of day since I got it.

I especially love the sound of the Tonepump circuit - it just sounds so natural. It records beautifully & to my ears really is the perfect blend of passive warmth & active clarity.

The B string is the best I've ever heard too; beautifully balanced with the rest of the strings & with fantastic clarity & punch.

Easily the best bass I've ever owned.

I have a Euro LX4 PJ and its a keeper. Best bass i have owned in 30 years.

The neck is not as cramped as an Ibanez SDGR but still quite slim and is effortlessly playable. I believe the necks are made in the USA and exported to Europe to be assembled so youre getting US Spector quality with them. Felt like an old pair of boots from day one.

The EMG PJ's are hifi clear but with a grindy quality when you push the tonepump a bit. Its a really hot output so check you have the adjustable trim pot version of the tonepump - some amps arent too happy with it (i run mine at about 80%). Its fine with my GK and Hartke heads but my Cube needs the input gain reduced quite dramatically to avoid overloading. It really shows up differences in string brands - currently loving DR Fat Beams on it.

Most people agree the Euros punch well above their weight and arent far off USA NS quality for half the price. That black one looks lovely but he also had an older natural one for about 800 quid i think. It looked great vfm in my opinion but may not have the adjustable tonepump. Take a trip and try them.

As I reule I'm not really into active basses, but Spectors are the exception to the rule - they have a lot of character and their own distinctive tone. I've owned 7 over the past few years but have always had to get rid for various reasons. I have a Rex up for sale at the moment, I bought it to use for a particular project that is now over.

I've owned Euros and the MIK professional series, and strangely I prefer the MIK lot. My fave Spector to date is my old NS2000, it just nails that classic Pantera sound. In fact I sold my last Euro as I preferred this one.

Serious grunt and growl, and very addictive.

I used to have a Rebop, it was a superb bass. It had a zebrano top that would put some custom builders to shame, it played beautifully (a thick-ish neck, but nicely rounded and very well finished) and sounded amazing. The Tone Pump is a superb preamp. There are plenty of people who have took the Tone Pump from their bass replaced it with a supposedly 'superior' preamp only to find the bass doesn't sound as good afterwards!

I've had my NS2000 from new, they are such great basses, especially for the price. In comparison to my Warwick, it's quite heavy and the neck is chunkier but it just feels right. A few basses have come and gone in the 12 years I've owned it but I can't see me ever parting with it now. In fact, I've instructed the wife that when I pop my clogs she's free to sell all my other gear but the Spector goes in the ground with me!! :D

[quote name='cocco' timestamp='1345574274' post='1779065']
I like the look of the rebop, I'm a bolt on sort of guy, but I don't understand why it has Hz pickups when the neck thru version has proper EMGs. For the price I'd expect the tidy pickups.
[/quote]

Remember that they used to be about half the price they are now! My Rebop 4 DLX cost me £549 new from Sound Control Preston! The Hz's weren't a big deal then, at that price. They are a fantastic pickup though.

I used to play my Jazz all the time....till I discovered Spector.

I have the Legend 4 and, if you like the slim neck of a jazz...this seems even thinner!

Plays superbly, I never used to bother with actives as I couldn't be arsed with the whole battery issue....but.....it is worth it.

The range of the bass boost and tone are brilliant on it......so much so....I have a back up incase it has to go and be repaired for any reason!

Seriously...I have never heard a bad word about them, they are affordable and give so much scope playing wise.

Well worth getting one.

Having owned and been close to Spector since the Kramer days, the necks can feel "clubby" or for you guys "cricket bat handle-y". ;-)

they are very comfortable, fast playing necks but definitely not low profile. The neck is part of what gives a Spector its sound.

The Tone Pump I'm 50/50 with. They definitely work as advertised, and you definitely get the Spector tone. I modded mine with Aguilar OBP-3 and it works better for my style, which is a little old school. Most of the US come standard with the OBP.

[quote name='bobbass4k' timestamp='1345658029' post='1780175']
Love my thru-neck NS2000.
[/quote]

I've owned many Spectors over the years, and the NS2000 is by far my favourite. I sold my first one and always regretted it. Luckily a friend of mine put his up for sale a few months back and now it's mine! In virtually perfect condition too. I will NOT let myself sell this one.

I love 'em. I've got a couple - an earlier Euro 5 (solid flame maple) and a US Bolt On. The Euro has an EMG circuit and the US an Aguilar. I've previously had experience of the Tone Pump and it was fine - although the output was a bit hot. I prefer the EMG and Aguilar circuits and they both have nicely voiced mids which are useful for on the fly tweaking (as I often do).

I just think Spectors are very versatile and they are great for cutting through a dense mix. They are well built and comfortable to play (although my Euro is on the heavy side). The necks are slightly chunky (more P than J) but not excessively so and as a result extremely stable.