Why become a member? ×

Gibson Thunderbird iv Vs Epiphone Thunderbird Pro iv??

x_Morning_Star_x

So Bassists, i'm considering getting a Thunderbird but i can't decide whether to go for an original Gibson Thunderbird or one of the new Epi Pro models? i was interested to know if anyone has played on both and compared? the newer Epi's look pretty good and sounds like they have ironed out some of the problems with the original epiphones?

i'm interested to know if there is any differnce in playability, tone? for such a vast price difference am i just paying for the name or are they genuinely better?

Why not wait until next month when Epiphone launch the Classic Pro series with the Gibson pups?
[url="http://www.epiphone.com/news-features/features/2012/epiphone-thunderbird-classic-iv-pro.aspx"]http://www.epiphone....sic-iv-pro.aspx[/url]

Edited by pst62

Somewhat difficult to judge, they're quite different. Passive vs. 2 band active. mahogany/walnut through neck vs. maple/walnut through neck. Different pickups. Different bridges.

I quote Gibson/Epiphone themselves with regard to the Thunderbird Pro - "No previous Thunderbird model has ever sounded like this!"

Put simply, the ergonomics will be similar (same body shape, same nut width but I think the Epi Pro neck is even slimmer than the Gibson Thunderbird one) but the two will sound very different to each other. But they'll both sound like basses ;)

Edited by neepheid

Oh and to answer your other question, of course there's an element of paying for a name, it's the same if you buy a Fender vs. a Squier, or a Musicman vs. a Sterling, a G&L vs. a G&L Tribute. You're also paying American wages to the people who made it instead of far Eastern wages. People associate quality with high prices and get very angry when those expectations are not met.

Is one "better" than the other? That's entirely down to how you feel about the instrument you are playing. I don't think any instrument has an automatic right to be "better" than another because of cost alone. Any factory can let a Friday afternoon "special" or a Monday morning "limited edition" slip out undetected ;)

I've played fantastic basses that cost me less than £100 second hand. I've played basses that command 4 figure sums that people rave about and thought to myself "what is all the fuss about?" It's really down to the individual. You won't know until you try, but I wouldn't get too hung up about what other people think. Try 'em both, if you can.

Edited by neepheid

Depending on your likes/dislikes, the mahogany bodied TBirds sound a lot deeper/richer than the alder ones, with the mahogany ones being what the Gibbos are made of. So, if you like the sound of the Gibson, an alder bodied TBird will probably leave you a little flat.

[quote name='NancyJohnson' timestamp='1345224085' post='1775269']
...and don't be drawn in by how they look on the Epiphone website either. It an identical image to the Gibson one with a Photoshopped headstock!

Don't believe me? Identical down to the reflections on the knobs.

[/quote]

Well spotted matey! This pic seems to add a bit of clout to Epi's claim though.

[quote name='Donnyboy' timestamp='1345235053' post='1775490']
Had a Epi pro iv and tried a Gibbo . Thought the pro was top notch very high quality and punches well above its weight. If it had a much higher price tag it would be worth every penny and more.
[/quote]

Really? My impression of the Epiphone Pro that I tried was of a cheap generic Korean active bass which happened to have a T-Bird shaped body.

In the end it depends what you want, which bass is the right one for you.

I,ve tried both and ended up with the epi pro 4
Pro 4 has mahogany wings not alder
Bridge is a big improvement
No worries over the head falling off
Maybe some people don,t like the active basses
As said wait till the passive one comes out
I might be tempted to get one but it will be something else if I do but I,ll be keeping the pro 4

Before I bought my Gibson T Bird I did extensive and in depth research, as in I played the lot of them. IMHO The Gibson wins hands down. The truth is they are all very different guitars and not really comparable, regardless of price. I bought a 2011 model brand new, swapped the Gibson bridge for a Hipshot and got a pro set-up that involved some fret levelling up the dusty end. I know nothing about the sound of the chrome pup originals, but mine sounds ace, very grand, especially when you figure the volume settings, 10 on the front, 8 on the back for me :)

Love my Pro IV, and my bog standard Epi TBird. Like the versatility of the active set up, but would be even happier with one of the forthcoming Pro's without active electronics.
[quote name='Lozz196' timestamp='1345203643' post='1774909']
Depending on your likes/dislikes, the mahogany bodied TBirds sound a lot deeper/richer than the alder ones, with the mahogany ones being what the Gibbos are made of. So, if you like the sound of the Gibson, an alder bodied TBird will probably leave you a little flat.
[/quote]

The current Pro IV has Mahogany Wings ? I know the Epi Thunderbird IV bolt on is Alder

[quote name='BigRedX' timestamp='1345243178' post='1775634']

Really? My impression of the Epiphone Pro that I tried was of a cheapest generic Korean active bass which happened to have a T-Bird shaped body.

In the end it depends what you want, which bass is the right one for you.
[/quote]

Yeah it was very well finished I did get a Pro - boomtish - service done though which might've helped. From memory it was very boomy and I'd have preferred it as passive.

• 9 months later...

I have just received my new Epi thunderbird Classic in Arctic white, before i give my views let me qualify my experience.
Been playing for over 40 years, 15 years fully pro, signed to EMI, owned, among others, -

Fender Jazz (1967)
Rickenbackker 4001
Pre Ernie Ball Stingray
Warwick Thumb bolt on 4 string
Alembic Stanley Clarke Custom Deluxe
Spector SSD 95 CUstom

Still own

Sandberg Bullet Custom Shop 5 string
Sandberg Ken Tayler Custom Shop fretless 5 string

Last rig, - EBS Fafner, proline 4x10, proline 1x15, and everything else that has been available in the UK

I fully research, and fully test every piece of equipment i buy. I have read many threads regarding the Classic pro, and noticed many saying it is muddy sounding. I have come to the conclusion these people are not bass players, have absolutey no idea about basses and tone, and should really learn to play the instrument before they disuade other new players to ignore certain guitars/amps.

Staight out the box my new Epi sounds as bright and growly as any of the basses i have ever owned or played. Set my amp flat, set p/up to neck, rolled off the tone to zero,,,,,not a drop of mud in sight!!!!

Neck heavy???? the people who say this must be 12 years old and built like a paper clip, "GIVE UP AND BUY A BANJO!!!!"
This bass is an absolute delight to play, forget the bass snobs, this Epi stands alongside anything out there.

You tell 'em! I've got a Gibbo TBird, and all this stuff about neck-dive is a myth perpetuated by people who've not played one. I've got P Basses with more dive, especially on a slippy strap. The TBird tone is ace, and I'd be interested how different the Epi sounds with the same electrics, wood and a considerably lower price. Plus, you can't get white gibbo's for love nor money

I think the new Epiphone Thunderbird Classic is excellent value for money - I can see little advantage in spending over three times as much for the 'genuine' Gibson. They are very, very close.
However, neither sound like true 'birds to me - the current pickups are very different to the originals. Replace the pickups with some Thunderbuckers and you're in business - something I intend to do to that white Epi when I finally get round to buying it!

Hmm, I`ve had a couple of Epi Tbirds - in abt 2005 - and both massively neck-dived. Remove hand from neck = headstock hitting floor. It was just a balance issue, not weight, the necks felt no heavier than any other bass. If current ones don`t do this, well done to Epiphone for tackling this issue.

[quote name='Lozz196' timestamp='1369841586' post='2093362']
Hmm, I`ve had a couple of Epi Tbirds - in abt 2005 - and both massively neck-dived. Remove hand from neck = headstock hitting floor. It was just a balance issue, not weight, the necks felt no heavier than any other bass. If current ones don`t do this, well done to Epiphone for tackling this issue.
[/quote]

Is that the bolt-on neck Epi? Because the thru-neck Classics and Pro's are a different story

I've seen a couple of non-pros listed on ebay that state the lacquer has cracked on the back. Presumably they do this as something moves-expands-contracts. A bit worrying. Still fancy one though. Surely a simple helium filled balloon would negate neck dive?

[quote name='Billy Apple' timestamp='1369859234' post='2093715']
Is that the bolt-on neck Epi? Because the thru-neck Classics and Pro's are a different story
[/quote]

I think they were IIRC. Great that Epi have addressed this. Never put me off, but til I got used to it I did hit a few pint glasses on the side of the stage - which were both mine, and full.

I own both Gibson Thunderbird (Studio models- IV and V) and Epi TBird (a limited ed. White)
I found them to be entirely different beasts.
I started with the Gibson 5 string because I wanted a 5er and owned only Fenders at the time. The Thunderbird was always on the GAS list, so made sense to kill two 'birds' with one stone-a Studio V.
Got the Studio V and LOVED IT. Then ended up with the IV version in a trade later on-slimmest Gibson neck ever and gorgeous body lines-trimmer, faster-going places!!!. I picked up the white Epi for less than 100quid in another moment of madness.
I found the Gibson's to be far superior in build quality. The necks are nicer and the the pickups have 'that thunderbird sound'
whereas the Epi feels lightweight but still has serious neck dive and the pickups sounded gutless at times (especially on open E) - looks badass though!!! Disappointed, considering that every other Epi I've ever owned was great (maybe mine is more of a quality control failure?)!
I tried the Pro IV in a store a last year and thought it sounded cool, but a tad to bright for my tastes-it's a T'bird - it's meant to make your bones rattle!

Have you considered a second-hand Gibson Studio TBird? - I would get another one in a heartbeat!
Or the shortscale one they did...