Why become a member? ×

Humid air and wooden basses

lowdowner

Has anyone else noticed the effects of this recent humid/wet weather on their basses? My Thumbs seem to go out of tune much more quickly with the fluctuation is humidity and temperature to the extent that I'm checking tuning before each session now when before it was rare if I checked tuning weekly.

I used to have to adjust my wooden basses twice a year without fail, the action would go from being high enough to drive a bus under to so low that the strings were down on the frets.

However since I've moved to a better insulated house they seem to be much more stable, the action varies a little but not enough for me to bother adjusting anything.

But as E sharp suggested, my graphite Status basses have never moved and haven't been adjusted since they left the factory.

I dont think the issue is with regards to tuning the bass it self, but more to changes in neck set up due to the humidity as of late. I think this is what the OP is getting at.

Either way, my basses haven't suffered. And yes, they are tuned before each play and checked during.

Dan

Same here, I check tuning every time I play, and each bass needs re-tuning if the temperature or the humidity has changed noticeably since the day before.
I think it's due to the combination of the metal strings slightly changing length due to the temperature, the truss rod changing shape and the wood reacting to humidity. And I believe it's normal, unless the changes in shape/tuning are dramatic.

The changes aren't dramatic - but the action is slightly different and the tuning is out. I haven't got into the habit of tuning before each practice session as when I used to do this, it became clear that it wasn't necessary. Obviously it *is* now.

I don't keep my basses in their gig bags - I have them on stands so i can pick them up whenever I want - or walk past - etc. Besides, they're beautiful works of art and I want to be able to see them :)

I always tune, obviously, but I also find that roughly twice a year a change in the weather means that the neck moves and the truss-rod needs tweaking.

London has suddenly become very humid this week, and all my basses have started to rattle & buzz ...

[quote name='lowdowner' timestamp='1345208238' post='1774997']

I don't keep my basses in their gig bags - I have them on stands so i can pick them up whenever I want - or walk past - etc. Besides, they're beautiful works of art and I want to be able to see them :)
[/quote]

Yes, I can see the logic in this. However, weather like we are having now, can effect the wood. Keeping them in their bags helps to protect them from the effects of fluctuating changes in the weather.

I guess it also depends on whether the wood is stained, or oiled, or natural etc.?

My basses too seem to need truss rod adjustment at the turn of every season - they start buzzing when it gets warmer/more humid and, conversely, develop an excessively high action when it gets colder and less wet.

Edited by bluejay

[quote name='RhysP' timestamp='1345225030' post='1775284']
Very much depends on the bass - my Jaydee & Stingray were a nightmare for this, the necks needed adjusting all the time. My lovely old Atilla Balogh Odyssey bass however never needed adjusting in the 20 odd years I owned it.
[/quote]
Really?! I've only ever adjusted my stingrays neck twice in the 11 years I've had it. Still, they all sound good!

Dan