Why become a member? ×

Warwicks...becoming cool again?

CPBass

Many people who refer to the chunky necks played one of the model years where that was the standard profile. We have since gone back to the slim neck profile as standard, as well as offering 3 neck profiles on 4 string basses and a 4th broadneck profile on 5 and 6 string basses. Thanks!

Edited by Warwick_Official

I'm crazy for slim necks and find the one on my RB Corvette a nice size. It's thicker than the very slim one on my Overwater but I'm quite fickle about necks so if I like it then ain't a cricket bat by any stretch! And as Mr. W above said, they make them slimmer now so I must have one of those.

By the way, does our Warwick representative have a name? Would be nice to not have to call you Mr Warwick!

[quote name='Mornats' timestamp='1345158928' post='1774559']
I'm crazy for slim necks and find the one on my RB Corvette a nice size. It's thicker than the very slim one on my Overwater but I'm quite fickle about necks so if I like it then ain't a cricket bat by any stretch! And as Mr. W above said, they make them slimmer now so I must have one of those.

By the way, does our Warwick representative have a name? Would be nice to not have to call you Mr Warwick!
[/quote]

Indeed! My name is Garey - and its a pleasure to be a part of BC! Thanks!

[quote name='warwickhunt' timestamp='1345192780' post='1774701']
Better than Mr. Hunt... :ph34r:
[/quote]

no, you're Warwickhunt - and like a Brazilian footballer you only have one name. It's a bit like Pele isn't Mr Pele- he's just Pele.
If we did shorten it it would be to "the 'hunt"

Mind you Bolinowskywickhunt would also be suitable now I think?

[quote name='LukeFRC' timestamp='1345193120' post='1774707']
no, you're Warwickhunt - and like a Brazilian footballer you only have one name. It's a bit like Pele isn't Mr Pele- he's just Pele.
If we did shorten it it would be to "the 'hunt"

Mind you Bolinowskywickhunt would also be suitable now I think?
[/quote]

:P :D

I don't know if it's just me and my sick mind, but I always thought that the Corvettes body contour (If that's a phrase?) looks like some kind of sexual object and when I was looking for a new bass a while back most of my mates seemed to agree.....And that's the story of why I didn't get a Warwick.

Sigh - I had a similar comment a propos of a photo I posted here a couple of months ago, where I was suggestively (sigh...) holding my Corvette fretless 5.

Look, I [b]love[/b] the Corvette shape, and its being so small was one of the deciding factors when I chose to become a Warwick fan. I mean, I can't escape the fact - even my Corvette 4 looks bigger than me when I'm standing up :mellow:

Edited by bluejay

[quote name='rushers' timestamp='1345193891' post='1774719']
I don't know if it's just me and my sick mind, but I always thought that the Corvettes body contour (If that's a phrase?) looks like some kind of sexual object and when I was looking for a new bass a while back most of my mates seemed to agree.....And that's the story of why I didn't get a Warwick.
[/quote] they make other basses other than the corvette you know?

[quote name='Roland Rock' timestamp='1345143889' post='1774305']
I think there's a difference between fashionable and cool. 'Fashionable', by definition means popular. 'Cool' needs a combination of exclusivity and desirability, to look good while being different from the norm.
The cool thing grows in popularity and eventually becomes fashionable, and consequently uncool :-)

So where does that leave Warwicks? I hardly ever see them out at gigs, so not fashionable. As far as cool is concerned, it's subjective, but I certainly don't have GAS for one, ergo not cool.[/quote]

This. The only time I can recall any reference to the word 'cool' associated with a Warwick, was when jack Bruce first got his thumb, but thinking about it, they were probably talking about him, and not the coffee table with strings on that he was playing!

....runs for cover!! :P

Just make sure that you don't pay much for one ...... as you sure as hell won't get a lot for it when you sell it.

What does cool mean anyway? Desirable? Only at a very cheap price I guess - so, I'd say they're not cool. I like 'em, a bit, but nobody seems to want them .... unless they are very cheap (did I say that already?)

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

I think the current price of new German-made models excludes alot of people (including myself) however that does not make them less desirable... Or cool. I want an Audi R8 but won't be getting one for a long, long time, same for the new Warwicks, I guess.

Interesting responses.

My only reason for this question is the apparent increase in prices. It wasnt a really a question looking for the subjective opinions but more for the trends being shown in the for sale section.

The reluctance to accept the fact that the 'cool' simply ignores the fact that the whole industry is driven by marketing strategies. All these strategies are grounded in endorsements which strive to ellicit the sub conscious 'must have' response in the consumer.

Other than that, an increase in demand which reduces ready supply increases the price and you could call this increase desirability or even coolness.

Warwicks were changing hands for songs at the start of the year. £600 minimum now and the good through necks are pushing £1.5 k

Edited by Voodoosnake

[quote name='woolf' timestamp='1345227817' post='1775353']
Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

I think the current price of new German-made models excludes alot of people (including myself) however that does not make them less desirable... Or cool. I want an Audi R8 but won't be getting one for a long, long time, same for the new Warwicks, I guess.
[/quote]

Problem is, until a year ago or less they were in the reach, unlike the Audi. I don't see what Warwick have done to warrant the increase apart from reduce their carbon footprint, which they should foot the bill for.

[quote name='Musicman20' timestamp='1345244868' post='1775642']
Problem is, until a year ago or less they were in the reach, unlike the Audi. I don't see what Warwick have done to warrant the increase apart from reduce their carbon footprint, which they should foot the bill for.
[/quote]

they were a small exclusive bass builder making it all by hand....

then they became big and made lots of basses- not as good as the older ones but people bought them.

then I guess people stopped buying them as much and they wondered what they could do, and while fender and everyone else just tried to cut costs they raised the quality again and dropped production levels, if you make a higher quality product the prices go up.

Not if you're more efficient. I love Warwick basses but even if I won the lottery there's no way I'd buy a new German Warwick. Their prices are, forgive me, ridiculous. The used market has been way, way cheaper for a very long time, an indication of what real world bass players think they're worth. If a Streamer Stage 1 6-string (my personal favourite bass in the world) is well over £4K new (and going up in price regularly) and can be had used for under £1.5K - I got one a few years ago for £1K - then there's nowhere to go. Oh, and where are you going to try the Warwick range in the UK? I asked about not being able to try a Thumb Single Cut in the UK and was arrogantly told that they're "boutique" instruments and not stocked by shops, and that if I wanted to try one I should by it from Thomann and use their returns policy if I didn't like it. Great.