Why become a member? ×

What amp/cab...?

rockinbassman

Rigggghhttt... where to start. I have a Markbass CMD 102p, which I do love, but just not finding it 'right'. I play mainly a passive Fender jazz 75 RI, and seem to just not get enough 'meat' out of it!

P-T-P, wants it and has a sale pending, I wanted that GK lightweight rig in the for sale forum, but its just too far away. Newcastle, and its collection only!! Which I can understand from his point of view, although I did even offer to sort out all courier arrangements and send all the packaging to him!!! owell.

I am loving the 700 and 1001 RB heads, and im quite tempted to get one, or bass ferrits hd 350... I also was looking at the Ampeg 410hlf on the forum, but it sjust sooo heavy! The other option was the Warwick 410 pro on there... anyone familiar with these?

I just need a bit of help... going to be spending £600 - 700...

Paul

Edited by rockinbassman

[quote name='rockinbassman' post='187742' date='Apr 29 2008, 01:59 AM']Rigggghhttt... where to start. I have a Markbass CMD 102p, which I do love, but just not finding it 'right'. I play mainly a passive Fender jazz 75 RI, and seem to just not get enough 'meat' out of it!

P-T-P, wants it and has a sale pending, I wanted that GK lightweight rig in the for sale forum, but its just too far away. Newcastle, and its collection only!! Which I can understand from his point of view, although I did even offer to sort out all courier arrangements and send all the packaging to him!!! owell.

I am loving the 700 and 1001 RB heads, and im quite tempted to get one, or bass ferrits hd 350... I also was looking at the Ampeg 410hlf on the forum, but it sjust sooo heavy! The other option was the Warwick 410 pro on there... anyone familiar with these?

I just need a bit of help... going to be spending £600 - 700...

Paul[/quote]

right! before you go mad...I have never known a jazz to give ample 'meat'! try another bass first.

secondly ampeg b-410hlf is cracking value at the moment and it produces great amounts of bottom end. I just bought a b-115e cab at £269 from SC, I'm astonished at the bottom end on this and the sound it produces! check out - value for money wise - B-410he, b-410hlf and b-115e cabs. The b-cabs arn't too heavy and fit easily into standard cars.

I am though very ampeg biased!! :)

link to picture of my gear: [url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=18247"]http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=18247[/url]

have fun

andy

at the risk of repeating myself...

get the SVT410-HLF and go to the gym more :) it's not like you've got to carry it that far cos it's got good casters on the back, just have to carry it over things, or up a dreaded 5 flights of stairs to play a really obscure gig where the audience is only made up of the other bloody bands...you know the ones.

[attachment=8258:SVTness.JPG]

sexy 'little' rig :huh:

I wouldn't play a GK head through an Ampeg cab myself. I'd prefer to use GK, Hartke or Markbass cabs with a GK head.

EDIT: Get some 45 gauge Ernie Ball Hybrid Slinky strings your Jazz. It'll thicken up the sound a bit.

Edited by The Funk

Hey there, I use a Jazz as my main bass and you should think Ashdown, I get a serious meaty tone from my rig
which may be right up your street.

The ABM 500 is ridiculous value for money these days and not all all a burden to carry around;

[url="http://www.soundslive.co.uk/product~name~Ashdown-ABM-500-EVO-III~ID~8663.asp"]http://www.soundslive.co.uk/product~name~A...III~ID~8663.asp[/url]

+1!!!!!!!!! Jazz & a good amp/cab = MEAT- actually fillet steak!!! +1 on the ABM Ashdowns & U wouldn't go far wrong with a Ashdown cab to match the ABM amps! Either a 4x10 or a 1x15" is what I'd go 4!

ps... Eden/Nemesis stuff is VERY good for the Price too!! I'd still go Ashdown if I had a choice & the $$$$ was similar!
I wouldn';t get a SVT410HLF cab..... great cabs, but are 4 ohm so unless the amp can do 2 ohms U R restricted to JUST THAT cab always-I know it's designed for that, but it's nice to have a choice. I used to own a SVT410HLF, sold it & got a Bergantino NV610- Much easier to move, sounds better, lighter, more power handling ;-)
The SVT410 is a TANK & VERY hard to shift....... I'd go a 8 ohm Ashdown 410 or 210 & get another 8 ohm 1x15" later on-or get the 15 now & the 2/4x10 later depending on yr mood!

Edited by rodl2005